To follow on from Tinkerbells ref thingy...

Just now, asteener1867 said:

Why?..in the name of all thats holy in football..Do Linos wait for the ref to tell 'em which way a throw in should go..bearing in mind its happened two yards away from them...THEN...

Flag for a f.ookin' penalty thats 40 yds away before the ref has even had chance to think about it...?

Because they a C words ................. and how many times do they get it wrong 

Annoys me almost as much as the stupid Offside Flagging 

Just now, Lawrie Madden said:

Because they a C words ................. and how many times do they get it wrong 

I don't mind the odd wrong offside decision.....Its the throw ins...where he is actuall standing two yards away...and waits for the ref...its bloody ludicrous...

There's a lot more to it than that. Each referee will deliver what is called pre match instructions where most basic and more complex scenarios are discussed and what is expected to happen. 

For throw ins, it is pretty universal that the decision is made "downstairs" between ref and lino before signalling. Theres no rush to throw out the flag quickly ans it looks messy if ref and lino cross (from an official observation point of view this is a big no-no.) And going quick can lead to mistakes, like crossing each other. It sill always look better if both ref and lino agree. 

Often the ones 2 yards away right in front can be the harder ones to call. Lino is looking in 3 places. 1 the offside line. 2 when the ball is played, back to offside line, and also ball in and out, last touch so its feasible the ref will have the better view.

Regarding flagging for penalties - again discussed pre match what the ref does and doesnt want. 

Also dont forget that ref and lino have comms and are constantly in contact so the ref can easily handover responsibility in a matter of seconds if he becomes out of position or is blocked. 

Again, without hearing what responsibility the ref has hasnt given his team its hard to judge what the lino should and shouldnt be giving in terms of the overall refereeing performance. 

1 hour ago, Lawrie Madden said:

Much of this 'stupid ' flagging is, i would be the first to agree, is annoying. It is, unfortunately, correct under the current offside rules, which mean that a player can be stood clearly in what we would term an 'offside' position, is NOT offside unless, and until, he is considered to be 'interfering with play. This is usually taken to be when he receives the ball.