Whatever happened to away ends?

mcowl

23 minutes ago, fred mciver said:

Money. We sell away tickets, wedge goes to home club.

Don't sell or sell out, many fans then go to Wednesday website and pay £5 to watch away games on computer etc.

Cash then goes to Owls. 

I agree with the first bit of your post Money though not really for the reasons you quote.

I would say it's more the cost of policing when there are more away fans especially on high profile games.

• The most expensive policing operation in England was Sheffield Wednesday against Sheffield United at Hillsborough, which cost £203,000. The home club was billed for £41,000.

54 minutes ago, parkfieldowl14 said:

Could be worse though. any one on here remember Cambridge United's Abbey Stadium away end ?What a utter dump it was WTF:

2226458_orig.jpg

They have a new stand on that away end now.

Just noticed the buildings top right, we played down there in the league cup 2 seasons back (Helan had a stormer :ph34r:) and popped into the Chinese on that main road before walking down that meandering path on top of pic.

I daren't even mention George Hirst came on as sub and looked iffy.

WTF:

Edited by Pulsar
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Pulsar said:

They have a new stand on that away end now.

Just noticed the buildings top right, we played down there in the league cup 2 seasons back (Helan had a stormer :ph34r:) and popped into the Chinese on that main road before walking down that meandering path on top of pic.

I daren't even mention George Hirst came on as sub and looked iffy.

WTF:

Still remember Waddle's goal against them in the FA Cup in 1993.Best memory of the Abbey Stadium.The Downside was the 4-0 thumping we'd received in 1991 two years previously.

Guest The Claw
1 hour ago, parkfieldowl14 said:

Could be worse though. any one on here remember Cambridge United's Abbey Stadium away end ?What a utter dump it was WTF:

2226458_orig.jpg

remember someone lowering tied together scarfs and lifting a peddle bike up and riding it up and down the terrace 

1 hour ago, Hookowl said:

I agree with the first bit of your post Money though not really for the reasons you quote.

I would say it's more the cost of policing when there are more away fans especially on high profile games.

• The most expensive policing operation in England was Sheffield Wednesday against Sheffield United at Hillsborough, which cost £203,000. The home club was billed for £41,000.

Fair point , at present.

But footy on smart phones is gonna be mega - why EFL and clubs now service this market.

1 hour ago, parkfieldowl14 said:

2226458_orig.jpg

remember hanging off that left hand floodlight in the early 80s ! walking up to the ground there was a bridge that had 'cambs kill' painted on it lol 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Lawrie Madden said:

Billy Davies decided the reason his Forest side were sheeeite was because there were away fans behind the net and not because he was a crap manager and it caught on elsewhere 

I’m glad we aren’t that fickle 

Think he even cited a game against us with a big away following (we still lost mind you!)

6 hours ago, mcowl said:

In the good old days away fans use to be allocated a whole end of a ground.

Over the years clubs have been cutting down on the number of away tickets allocated.

Given that atmosphere is always far better at any match with a large away contingent, and the home clubs would make more money, why are the allocations so small?

Two prime examples are Villa, next week, and Sunderland last season.

Villa park holds over 40,000. They get an average crowd of just over 30,000.

Sunderland was half full, yet they gave us a really poor allocation.

Why don’t these clubs want our money?

I can only make a few games each season. The Villa match being one of them.

Looks like I’ll have to go in the main stand with the Villa fans and sit on my hands.

Something I forgot to do against Sunderland.

Suddenly finding myself jumping up and down, with lots of glares from the few Sunderland fans who weren’t walking out at the time.

I would love to see the football league introduce proper allocations for away fans.

20% of the ground would seem about right.

Any club could split the away end into 5%, 5% and 10%.

Away clubs could then request 5, 10, 15 or 20% depending on their following.

Any other suggestions on what the football league should do?

There are some that are genuinely pitiful but there are no doubt some valid reasons at many grounds:

- Policing outside the ground.

- Stewarding inside the ground.

- Ground design doesn't allow appropriate segregation (think SAG who require about 50 rows of netted seats in a totally segregated stand ffs)

- New grounds probably more notable for this as bowl shaped designs rather than 4 separate stands.

5 hours ago, punkskaphil said:

When were the good old days that you're describing? I started going to matches almost 30 years ago and the games I went to back then saw us have our allocation in only small areas of grounds. A tiny corner of terracing at Highbury, one section of terrace and one block of seats at Selhurst Park, etc.

Same at West Ham where we had one section in corner, at Anfield we had terrace in corner and a block of seats next to it. 

Everton used to give us all stand and terrace behind goal but it wasn't very big. 

8 hours ago, punkskaphil said:

When were the good old days that you're describing? I started going to matches almost 30 years ago and the games I went to back then saw us have our allocation in only small areas of grounds. A tiny corner of terracing at Highbury, one section of terrace and one block of seats at Selhurst Park, etc.

true but in those days you could pay at the gate and go where you wanted, you didn't have to be  in the area allocated to the away fans  ….I can recall just turning up at palace , arsenal, Chelsea ,spurs etc etc  and going into the stands with there fans …….when we had a chance of winning the league at palace we took thousands that day and took over one complete end of the ground