Whatever happened to away ends?

mcowl

In the good old days away fans use to be allocated a whole end of a ground.

Over the years clubs have been cutting down on the number of away tickets allocated.

Given that atmosphere is always far better at any match with a large away contingent, and the home clubs would make more money, why are the allocations so small?

Two prime examples are Villa, next week, and Sunderland last season.

Villa park holds over 40,000. They get an average crowd of just over 30,000.

Sunderland was half full, yet they gave us a really poor allocation.

Why don’t these clubs want our money?

I can only make a few games each season. The Villa match being one of them.

Looks like I’ll have to go in the main stand with the Villa fans and sit on my hands.

Something I forgot to do against Sunderland.

Suddenly finding myself jumping up and down, with lots of glares from the few Sunderland fans who weren’t walking out at the time.

I would love to see the football league introduce proper allocations for away fans.

20% of the ground would seem about right.

Any club could split the away end into 5%, 5% and 10%.

Away clubs could then request 5, 10, 15 or 20% depending on their following.

Any other suggestions on what the football league should do?

NO - I've re-read what I wrote and I can't see where I mention priority points.

It's got nowt to do with how clubs sell their allocation.

I'm making a suggestion that the football league should have a think about away allocations and insist that clubs offer 20% of the ground to away fans.

The only argument against this might be if a club already has over 80% of it's capacity allocated to season tickets.

Does that actually apply to any football league clubs?

EFL Rules on away fans

34.2.1    Each Club must make provision for at least 2,000 visiting supporters at every home match or such number as represents 10% of the Club’s certified capacity, if less than 2,000. The League may, on the prior written application of a Club, suspend this Regulation or reduce the figure either for a particular League Match or for a period of time. 

34.2.2    Clubs are required to sell tickets for their away matches if required to do so by the Home Club and similarly Home Clubs are required to supply tickets for their Home Matches to the Away Club for sale by the Away Club to its supporters if so requested by the Away Club.  These tickets are to be made available on a sale or return basis and must be ordered by the Away Club at least five weeks before the League Match to which they relate.  The Home Club must deliver those tickets to the Away Club at the latest four weeks before the League Match to which they relate.  Where any match is arranged at shorter notice the above steps shall be taken as soon as is reasonably practicable.  Visiting Supporters should also have the same opportunity to take advantage of pre-booking discounts that apply to home supporters.

34.2.3    For League Matches only, the Away Club shall be entitled to a commission representing 5 (five) per cent of the aggregate sales (exclusive of VAT) of tickets sold on behalf of the Home Club, unless otherwise agreed between the Clubs. The Away Club shall submit a VAT invoice, in respect of the commission due, to the Home Club within five working days of the date of the match taking place.

When were the good old days that you're describing? I started going to matches almost 30 years ago and the games I went to back then saw us have our allocation in only small areas of grounds. A tiny corner of terracing at Highbury, one section of terrace and one block of seats at Selhurst Park, etc.

2 minutes ago, Offside_Owl said:

20% is a bonkers suggestion. It should be a minimum of 10% no matter what the size of the ground, and not capped at 2k.

It's not capped at 2k it's at least 2k. Agree with some of the allocations there absolutely pitiful. Think it's more to do with the police though

Think it was Chelsea that started the trend.

Some throwaway theory that if you house home fans behind both goals it will spur your players onto more wins.

must admit at Leeds it houses all the 'nbheads' in one place...but they do make a hell of a racket.  Leeds fan we know says theres a rivalry between them and the kop for noise.

The only places I know of where we get full away end allocation are Preston and Bolton.  Probably wrong in this.

Edited by HIGHERSTATE

1 hour ago, Offside_Owl said:

20% is a bonkers suggestion. It should be a minimum of 10% no matter what the size of the ground, and not capped at 2k.

10% would be a start.

Why would you think 20% is bonkers?

What we consider the away end at Hillsborough is around 20% of the capacity.

Why are clubs happy to throw away a couple of thousand ticket sales at £25-£30 a pop plus all the extras, when they play well supported clubs.

That's over £50,000 a game.

Guest The Claw
11 minutes ago, Groundhopping Owl said:

It's why Oakwell is right up there with my favourite grounds to visit. You get a bloody huge stand all to yourselves behind the goal and you make a real racket. Huddersfield used to be great on that front as well, but now they've ruined it by giving half to home fans.

Do you mean the hudders dance troupe

2 hours ago, punkskaphil said:

When were the good old days that you're describing? I started going to matches almost 30 years ago and the games I went to back then saw us have our allocation in only small areas of grounds. A tiny corner of terracing at Highbury, one section of terrace and one block of seats at Selhurst Park, etc.

Under the pylon at Forrest, the corner at Ayresome Park and the cow shed at Ewood Park