Worst Signing Ever

2 hours ago, emersonthome said:

For constantly underachieving over many seasons, I'd have to go for Ian Nolan.

Although to understand how bad the Jeffers signing was, remember that we had no money and our chairman at the time had just made a big statement about not having injury prone players in the squad!

I was actually quite excited about Jeffers, he’d just come off that good spell at Ipswich and we thought he’d found his fitness again, if only 

3 hours ago, Ozymandias Owl said:

De Bilde and his dogs, Simon Donnelly and Phil O'Donnell. RIP. Wim Jonk, Andy Hinchliffe.

It's not as if we didn't give it a go staying in the Premier all those years ago.

And the most controversial, worst signing ever.....

The lunatic, Paolo Di Canio

Good player, but a mentalist. No sorry THE Mentalist

Taxi for Dave Richards?

article-2305295-01FC42030000044D-867_634x461.jpg

Sorry mate, but we absolutely loved Di Canio. Yes, he was mental, yes, he did something very silly, yes, he has some horrific political views, but he is easily one of our top ten players ever. See when Cantona booted the guy in the crowd, Ferguson went to France looking for him to bring him back because he knew he was their best player. Danny Wilson and Mr Richards hung Paolo out to dry because Wilson was a coward and Richards was after a job with the FA. Which means we sold a player who was worth ten million for one and a half. He was brilliant. Not his fault he was mismanaged.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Minton said:

I hate Pleat with a burning passion. From the eyes of a child, I watched him dismantle my childhood team, letting players like Waddle, Walker, Bart-Williams, Sheridan, Bright and Hirst (with a fair few others) go and replacing them with dross like Magilton, Sedloski, Sanetti, Oakes, Trustfull, McKeever, Collins, Billington, etc. 

He was the beginning of the end for us, I'd argue we still haven't recovered from his tenure.

i think big ron signed sedloski

Very interesting read this thread! Certainly plenty to debate! 

Weird though ugh how the debates or comparisons seem to ignore inflation. Comparing Abdi & Sinton for example, saying how they were both similar costs. Didn’t they do a story last week saying Sintons transfer in today’s market be circa £40million.... 

Some of our purchases in the mid 90s were/are on par with our ‘going for it spree’ in 2016/2017 but due to inflation those values are out by a factor of ten. 

Blondeau for £1.8m is like saying we bought Fox for £18m certainly you can’t use ‘pound for pound’ to say nowadays players were worse signings. Unless they relegate us their no worse in my opinion. 

7 hours ago, manicowl said:

Sorry mate, but we absolutely loved Di Canio. Yes, he was mental, yes, he did something very silly, yes, he has some horrific political views, but he is easily one of our top ten players ever. See when Cantona booted the guy in the crowd, Ferguson went to France looking for him to bring him back because he knew he was their best player. Danny Wilson and Mr Richards hung Paolo out to dry because Wilson was a coward and Richards was after a job with the FA. Which means we sold a player who was worth ten million for one and a half. He was brilliant. Not his fault he was mismanaged.

You can't manage Di Canio, and he can't manage either. Just look at what happened between him and Leon Clarke at Swindon.

I know my opinion on this is likely to be controversial, but I was there that day. We beat Arsenal, with that terrific Briscoe thunderbolt, but I knew there would be hell to pay for the Di Canio incident and we, the fans are still paying for it.

That was on top of the fact that Di Canio and Carbone wouldn't pass the ball to certain players in that team, unless they absolutely had too. Constantly off side the pair of them too.

I also remember Hirsty mk1 chinning Carbone in a dismal 5-2 home deafeat to Derby County, just before Hirst was sold to Southampton. Hirsty was part of a team which faught to the death for each other, and yet contained talents like him Sheridan and Waddle.

Di Canio was undoubtedly a great talent, but he, and Carbone for that matter destroyed the club for my money.

Edited by Ozymandias Owl

On 14/09/2018 at 07:52, Mr. Tom said:

Haha, I know - what I mean is, it's not like he's just fully taking the mick or is an utterly terrible player or has done anything to sully the name of the club, and therefore Abdi surely can't come anywhere close.

You're getting mixed up between worst signing and worst player.

Personally I think Marco Matias is one of, if not the worst signing ever although I'd say abdi takes that crown now. Both have been awful signings but are they the worst players? Absolutely nowhere near.

If a player is injured for 95% of their contract, they are a terrible signing.

1 hour ago, vulture_squadron said:

Saw an article that converted old transfer fees into modern equivalent and Sinton came out about 30 million! 

Makes Rhodes look not as bad but considering he added nothing and now we're fizzed financially it's hard to look past him.

Funny then how the likes of abdi get let off cos "it's not their fault they are injured" but Jordan rhodes get slaughtered cos he cost so much money. Not sure poor Jordan had anything to do with the transfer fee we said we'd pay to Middlesbrough.

And he's also added a hell of a lot more than  abdi.

Edited by poite