Worst Signing Ever

I wonder if over the past decade we’ve just bought mainly rubbish or the coaching staff/managers are to blame or a combination.

We have barely sold a player on that has directly played at a higher level. Nobody ever seems to get better playing for us. Got to put that down to poor coaching over the years. Sign for us and your career is usually heading in one direction. 

Brunt, Whelan and Antonio are the exception and I think we had our pants down with all 3

13 minutes ago, zzmdu said:

Probably Atty Nuhiu.

Both for his goal & assist rate over the last 3 years; & managers picking him ahead of better players. Particularly Joao in 15/16.

His rare goal flurry last season, May save him from being the worst; but definitely a contender.

Given the ridiculous amounts we've wasted on players who've contributed so little in return, there's no way a free transfer who's pretty much always available to play can be in the running for our worst ever signing.

Patrick Blondeau!!   Without a doubt.

Reported fee of £1.8m in 1997 (?) A large amount at that time.

Played 6 games. -  and every one a disaster IIRC.

Don't know how much we moved him on for, or if he left on a free.

Thinking back even a 'free' would have been too much.lol

Edited by oldtawnyowl
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Think the players that have annoyed me the most are slothroyd fox in the box and that fatcoont clarke. 

The only three players I’ve actually hated seeing wearing a wednesday shirt. That I could quite happily have punched in the face in the car park after a game ( though I would have had to run of& as they would have beaten the pooh out of me).

Abdi I feel sorry for, really not his fault. When he’s been fit he has tried, but those three. Seen more effort from a squashed hedgehog.

6 minutes ago, oldtawnyowl said:

Patrick Blondeau!!   Without a doubt.

Reported fee of £1.8m in 1997 (?) A large amount at that time.

Played 6 games. -  and every one a disaster IIRC.

Don't know how much we moved him on for, or if he left on a free.

Thinking back even a 'free' would have been too much.lol

Beat me to it lol

that's a tough question ……...lots of players have turned out to be disappointing signings but the one i'd go for would be de bilde a player with undoubted ability but gave the biggest impression of all  that he was only here to get as much as he could for the least amount of commitment ……...just going on lack of ability I don't think I ever saw a worse player than peter feely ……..

1 hour ago, The Captain said:

Urby Emanuelson should be up there.

20 grand a week (allegedly), 1 first team appearance :wacko:

And I was there to see it, woo hoo.

Beswetherick has to be up there surely, despite not costing a fee.

The fact that we paid him a wage is ridiculous enough, he should've paid us FFS.