Almen Abdi is BACK

1 hour ago, FinnishOwl said:

He's not yet at the age to retire so he's got to work hard if he still wants a contract anywhere. That's the best possible situation for both us and Abdi - just look at Matias who seems to be fighting for an extension. We may still get a good game or two out of Abdi this season if there are no setbacks.

I don't think Jos would even mention Abdi being back unless he was prepared to give him a chance at some point, provided that Abdi proves himself on the training field.

I was always under the impression they could retire at 35 but apparently that isn't the case anymore. It's now 55? 

https://www.lawinsport.com/blog/mills-reeve/item/planning-for-retirement-the-financial-life-cycle-of-a-professional-footballer

56 minutes ago, chizumgeorge said:

Its never going to happen!

Whether it happens or not wasn't the question. Whether or not it is wanted was the question. 

I'll never win the lottery, but I want to. That's why I buy a ticket.

Abdi may never play for us again, but we want him to, that's why we pay his wages

Jos basically said he doesn’t want to stunt any youngsters progress by bringing him back in. I’m all for making footballers better but in my eyes you have to look after number one which is Sheffield Wednesday and getting as many points on the board as possible, we want instant success. The match day squads need to be as strong as possible, if they are good enough they are old enough.  That’s what’s confused me about Westwood, if his attitude isn’t right I have no complaints, but if it’s just to bring Dawson on I don’t agree. Even though I rate him highly. So if Abdi is fit and has his head screwed on and looks a better player than Kirby in training he needs to be on the bench.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Hookowl said:

Well bu@@er me, and all this time I have been thinking he had problems with injuries. :unsure:

At least someone agrees with me. Cheers mate. :tango:

On 13/09/2018 at 12:40, s6 owl said:

Waste of time i have no doubt Jos will throw him on the scrap heap and focus on our younger, hungrier players that play in his position.

That’s the spirit , shame we didn’t do that with all the other long term injured , oh wait most of them are back in the first team though , He is a good player get him fit and let’s at least see if he’s still got it .Hungrier doesn’t necessarily mean better . 

21 hours ago, Sergeant Tibbs said:

"Past it" is the operative phrase. What a waste of money, time and energy for all of us. The fact that some fans (and I appreciate why) hope he will come back, is more a testament to a loyal fan base than the reality. It neither serves the club or player (player !!) to keep him on the books, or is there a duty of care clause in his contract ? With most employers he'd have been released on medical grounds.

So would Sam Hutchinson then 

10 minutes ago, dewsburyowl58 said:

That’s the spirit , shame we didn’t do that with all the other long term injured , oh wait most of them are back in the first team though , He is a good player get him fit and let’s at least see if he’s still got it .Hungrier doesn’t necessarily mean better . 

He's finished and has no future at this club.

3 minutes ago, dewsburyowl58 said:

You know something I don’t ? 

its not hard to figure is it? He's nearly 32 and has been an absolute disaster at this football club plus Jos has been bleeding Hunt, Kirby, Lee and Preston into the team. He'll be gone at the end of the season.

1 hour ago, Woodie said:

Jos basically said he doesn’t want to stunt any youngsters progress by bringing him back in. I’m all for making footballers better but in my eyes you have to look after number one which is Sheffield Wednesday and getting as many points on the board as possible, we want instant success. The match day squads need to be as strong as possible, if they are good enough they are old enough.  That’s what’s confused me about Westwood, if his attitude isn’t right I have no complaints, but if it’s just to bring Dawson on I don’t agree. Even though I rate him highly. So if Abdi is fit and has his head screwed on and looks a better player than Kirby in training he needs to be on the bench.

Westwood will walk away for nothing next season regardless. He's not at the age to renew his contract. So it makes logical sense to give Dawson games and experience as he's got the potential to be our number 1 for years to come. Besides, I don't think Westwood is significantly better than Dawson.

Also, neglecting youth and not giving them a pathway into the first team has seen us lose our two best prospects in years. Integrating young players with big potential is important for a successful football club. There is such a demand for instant success these days, we forget about the bigger picture. You would think some fans would have learnt something from the Carlos era.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, s6 owl said:

its not hard to figure is it? He's nearly 32 and has been an absolute disaster at this football club plus Jos has been bleeding Hunt, Kirby, Lee and Preston into the team. He'll be gone at the end of the season.

Age is against him I agree , didn’t realise he was 32 next month 

4 hours ago, chizumgeorge said:

Hes gonna have to work a lot harder and put a lot more effort in than he has done every time ive seen him in a blue and white shirt!

Absolutely, no one here has seen the best of him and that needs to change or he can go freely for me, however if he does change it around then we have a serious player on our books.