BT Sports Classic

Just been watching the big match on the BT Sports Classic channel, what a laugh. The match was Southampton v Manchester United and there was loads of fans locked out due to having no tickets and they were climbing trees to view the match. The pitch was all sand and it was like the players were playing on the beach. Some great players on view and a real blood and thunder cup tie which ended 2-2. The funniest part was the interviewing of the players after the match they were in a pokey little room and smoking and drinking from cans of Heineken all while the interview was taking place. The fashion sense or lack of it was a sight to behold. The questions from Brian Moore were excellent and the players were slagging each other off, if all the programmes are like this they are well worth a watch during this international break, Im hoping Wednesday feature in one soon. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Old Woodbourn Owl said:

Just been watching the big match on the BT Sports Classic channel, what a laugh. The match was Southampton v Manchester United and there was loads of fans locked out due to having no tickets and they were climbing trees to view the match. The pitch was all sand and it was like the players were playing on the beach. Some great players on view and a real blood and thunder cup tie which ended 2-2. The funniest part was the interviewing of the players after the match they were in a pokey little room and smoking and drinking from cans of Heineken all while the interview was taking place. The fashion sense or lack of it was a sight to behold. The questions from Brian Moore were excellent and the players were slagging each other off, if all the programmes are like this they are well worth a watch during this international break, Im hoping Wednesday feature in one soon. 

caught some of that too   wonderful reminder of proper football as I knew it 

sick of what has happened to the game, agents, foreign owners messing with traditional strips, colours and names, gambling with their club's existence to get their snout in the stinking pot of sky gold.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, steelowl said:

sick of what has happened to the game, agents, foreign owners messing with traditional strips, colours and names, gambling with their club's existence to get their snout in the stinking pot of sky gold.

Was just going to post something similar.

All that stuff was part of the game I grew up with and the ‘ fun ‘ element died when the PL came in and it became the business it is now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, penrhyn bay owl said:

Did you ever catch one of those featuring mMan Utd v Man City .

I think it was a milk cup replay  (early 70s?) Again , Brian Moore was commentating , just action packed and brutal but off the top of my head i don't believe anyone was sent off .

It was full blooded end to end stuff , a proper game of Footy. 

A lot of the game were full blooded cos players could tackle without cards being waved about and players weren’t diving and feigning injury.

The Norman Hunters, Chopper Harris’s and the like would never have had careers today.

Oh yeh and, on the whole, refs in this country were totally respected and not being mobbed after every debatable decision 

45 minutes ago, steelowl said:

Fantastic bit of shoehorning there mate.  Can I suggest a career in politics.

• Haha 2

Football has been sold to the highest bidder and now the aim isn't to win trophies but the money which abounds in the Premier and you can't blame rich foreign owners from jumping on the band wagon .  They are been offered a chance to gamble and speculate, it's exciting and brings its own rewards of more riches and adoration from their peer group.  

The changes are difficult to argue against safer grounds, less of a laddish culture, better and wider media coverage. The players rewarded highly etc. The global success of the last World Cup will convince the footballing authorities that chasing the money is the right direction.

My only consolation when I have read football related stuff from the 70's they have complained that football nowadays does not compare to the good old days in the 40's and 50's and that players were fancy dans with their long hair and champagne lifestyle.   So maybe in another twenty, thirty years, fans will be saying that football doesn't compare to what it was in the early part of this century.

Would love to know whoever signed the deals with the TV companies if they gained considerable financially after the deals were signed. I would wager that the standard of cars in the carpark rose substantially.

Football has changed vastly since I started watching it in the late 60's, and more changes are to come which will alter the dynamic even more, it's getting pretty obvious that away fans are slowly being managed out of the game they are to expensive and tiresome. The big clubs want even more money and will negotiate ever better media deal for themselves.

Still love the game, the fans and still get a buzz walking into the ground. Hope fans in fifty years will feel that.

1 hour ago, Old Woodbourn Owl said:

So, proper football then?