The Championship just got all serious

25 minutes ago, Hookowl said:

I would guess that when our embargo ended there were certain conditions attached. Presumably we had to show that we had some sort plans in place to reduce future losses. 

Yeah. 

Pretty sure you have to make certain guarantees to the EFL.

1 hour ago, dnhc said:

i'd like to see it challenged in a court of law when weighed against 'parachute payments' considering a non even playing field.

Nobody could defend so called "parachute payments" and still consider the division an "even" playing field. Clearly it is NOT.  To deny some clubs legitimate and legal funds from their owner yet allow others (the relgated ones) millions and millions of pounds is as far from fair and reasonable as it's possible to get. It's indefensible, wrong and totally against natural justice and the ethics of sport.  Added to that is the system whereby clubs can spend, spend, spend, stick 2 fingers up to the EFL and get promotion and avoid any sanction at all (assuming they don't come back down!)

• Like 2

Don't think it will end up anywhere near the points deduction in the headline, or even any by the time it's been through appeal will be watered down substantially.

Birmingham did take the wee wee but not to the extent of some if the EFL 'favourites' I would suspect once next year's figures submitted.

The fact we worked with the EFL  and have shown a willingness to reduce costs should see us avoid a similar headline, particularly when we have a large cull of high earners out of contract next summer.

49 minutes ago, striker said:

Don't think it will end up anywhere near the points deduction in the headline, or even any by the time it's been through appeal will be watered down substantially.

Birmingham did take the wee wee but not to the extent of some if the EFL 'favourites' I would suspect once next year's figures submitted.

The fact we worked with the EFL  and have shown a willingness to reduce costs should see us avoid a similar headline, particularly when we have a large cull of high earners out of contract next summer.

Agree with this. The whole ffp is a complete joke, said before clubs are limited companies and as such should be able to spend what they like from legal funds. The ffp favours clubs with parachute payments no wonder the PL go along with the EFL makes it easier for their members to get back up.

The only way it can be fair is if they allow clubs to match what the parachute payment clubs have and get this drafted as document by lawyers which also states the exact punishments. From day one lawyers have challenged ffp because it was never explicit exactly what the punishment were.

2 hours ago, Hookowl said:

I would guess that when our embargo ended there were certain conditions attached. Presumably we had to show that we had some sort plans in place to reduce future losses. 

That's all very well but you cannot have secret conditions, it should be open. It's bang open for corruption. One rule for one club, another rule for another scenario.

I think they will come unstuck with private deals for some clubs...cos that's what it sounds like they have in mind.

The Birmingham situation may bring it to head, whatever punishment they have in mind, Birmingham will challenge it in court.

They (ffp suits) have made a complete balllox of it in my opinion, by not being open in showing the penalties for a breach.

Like Fooook can they say we may deduct 12pts or we may put in place a transfer embargo or we may just fine your rich owner...complete no chance in court would that be acceptable, it's dead bent for obvious reasons.

A private individual should be able to spend what they want so long as they are not borrowing money from banks, 'agents' or investment companies...etc.

It's either that or parachute payments are not considered when setting FFP.

20 hours ago, Bluesteel said:

I think some might be overly optimistic on this. We know we are ok this season but unless we raise revenue get promoted DC has said we might face the same. I think we can assume Birmingham are the test case here and we will follow suit unless we sort our losses out. 

Yep.

The back-slapping of our club’s hierarchy in this thread would be rather hilarious, if the reality of our finances wasn’t so bleak.

23 hours ago, smhouston said:

Don't understand why people are asking what it means for us. We've been taken out of it so have satisfied the EFL

Despite what our fans were saying, sounds like Mr Chansiri was right not doing any transfers. Also again contrary to our fans believes and feel like they should know everything, but I think it was a good move from him by not announcing we was under one which would have opened up the doors for clubs to offer rubbish money for our players

That's what I thought or surely we wouldn't have brought in the two loan players. 

Back in my day...

Things were better when...

We never worried abaht it when I were a kid...

Blah blah blah

The generation above me say it to me and I'm now old enough to say the same things to the generation below me. Some things never change.

Things do change though, *usually* for the better. Either embrace it or be forever miserable pining for the past that will never come again.

6 hours ago, quinnssweetshop said:

Leicester Portsmouth QPR Wolves, etc, all clubs that have gotten away with it.... Birmingham aren't a fashionable club anymore, bit like us really, hated by the old guard.
Good luck to Brum, hope they beat the points deduction....which, to be honest comes from a journalists doom and gloom keyboard, so I wouldn't expect it to happen.

Rules have changed since then mate.

5 hours ago, SiJ said:

I mean, we can turn around to the EFL and say:

"Look we are getting rid of Dave Jones next summer and he's on 1 million pounds a week." 

DC must have shown the EFL proof of the profit D Taxis is making to keep them happy. 

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, SiJ said:

I mean, we can turn around to the EFL and say:

"Look we are getting rid of Dave Jones next summer and he's on 1 million pounds a week." 

Can't wait to see their faces when they find out he's actually on 6!

On 07/09/2018 at 18:06, handworth52 said:

I think we aint heard the last of it regards us,chansiri was quite clear we are in trouble if we don't go up this season, he said he wernt so much bothered about a fine ,but more a points deduction . our wage bill is still way too high , it will be a lot lower next season once we lose westwood,fox,abdi,jones,boyd pudil hooper lee and 1-2 others that lot alone  are on seriously high wages way more than than the  combined wages of a club like preston . but getting our wage bill down next season probably wont help our possible penalty at the end of this season, we are way over the 39 million losses but whether the league take a softer stance towards us as we are trying to get the losses down who knows. 

I would also imagine we'll start the ball rolling before the end of the season in selling off some of our better players if it looks like we're not going up. Sales to then be completed after season ends.

We can then demonstrate further to the EFL that we've done everything possible to comply with their FFP rules.