The Championship just got all serious

3 minutes ago, vulva said:

The League do right. Fans have moaned (rightfully) for years about money ruining the game and the League are clamping down. 

Best thing for football would be for Sky and the other big players to go bust. 

At which point football finally eats itself and the reset button gets pressed.

Wouldn't be a bad thing imho.

10 minutes ago, Minton said:

Without P&S / FFP what are those risks?

The same as any mismanaged business - down grading of expectations and operations up to and including ceasing trading. However, those occurrences are rare in football and were before FFP was imposed.

6 minutes ago, vulva said:

The League do right. Fans have moaned (rightfully) for years about money ruining the game and the League are clamping down. 

Best thing for football would be for Sky and the other big players to go bust. 

So Sky and other media outlets are allowed to go bust but football clubs need to be kept immune?

Birmingham breached P&S rules but more to the point, they carried on spending after being told they couldn't even to the point where the EFL had to start blocking their transfers.

If they get 12 points, it's not for breaching P&S, it's for completely disregarding the rules.

2 hours ago, handworth52 said:

most of those players what are out of contract are reportedly on 25-30k a week certainly westwood,jones,boyd,hooper and lee are on those levels of pay ,we had a 27 million wage bill 2016/17 prob upped to 28-29 million last season given we had Rhodes for a full season on 2million a season , the wage bill is our killer not so much transfer fees. 

Any player on 25k p.w earns £1.3M per year. Assuming all 5 are on that amount on average that means we will save £6.5M  if they all go. We probably need a bigger saving than that. I reckon we will sell someone important in the next window unless we are very well placed. Points deductions are serious business.

2 hours ago, WelshOwl74 said:

lolbest memory of Birmingham ,was when we played them at their place in the FA cup under megson and some chav was giving it large in the home stand and Wednesdayites where singing 'tracksuit from Matalan' at him

5000 of us there that day, brilliant atmosphere despite being battered all game. 

The lass giving it big un aswell.. "SHES GOT CHLAMYDIA"

Football moves so fast that FFP is now well outdated. 

Setting and keeping to this £39 million loss when they put it into place years ago, but who’s factoring in the rapid and huge increase in transfer fees and players wages?

FFP needs to keep up with the times. It needs to now be at least £50 million and reviewable annually as inflation in football shows no sign of ending.

1 hour ago, StudentOwl said:

Did we? Can you remember what ones?

To my memory the only player we sorted the contract out for was Nuhiu, and that was because it was within four weeks of expiring and thus means we could actually sort out his contract (you can't renew players under contract but as he was at the end of his it's all different) 

I may be wrong but I assumed there were still some kind of restrictions in place when we re-signed Bannan and Joao. Starting to doubt myself now though. 

2 minutes ago, H2Owl said:

Football moves so fast that FFP is now well outdated. 

Setting and keeping to this £39 million loss when they put it into place years ago, but who’s factoring in the rapid and huge increase in transfer fees and players wages?

FFP needs to keep up with the times. It needs to now be at least £50 million and reviewable annually as inflation in football shows no sign of ending.

Why should football run at a loss?It has money thrown at it from every possible source. 

The whole thing is laughable. 

2 minutes ago, vulva said:

Why should football run at a loss?It has money thrown at it from every possible source. 

The whole thing is laughable. 

If you can get footy to run at a profit then you may as well email FA, cos no offence mate but I reckon brainer people that you will have tried!

Edited by Birley Owl 1867

3 hours ago, smhouston said:

Don't understand why people are asking what it means for us. We've been taken out of it so have satisfied the EFL

Despite what our fans were saying, sounds like Mr Chansiri was right not doing any transfers. Also again contrary to our fans believes and feel like they should know everything, but I think it was a good move from him by not announcing we was under one which would have opened up the doors for clubs to offer rubbish money for our players

Contrary to popular opinion it's been good management from Chansiri

I haven't an ounce of sympathy for Birmingham. They allowed 'Arry Redknapp to splash away an absolute fortune last summer on players he hadn't even seen play (I hear). 

The team he ex pensively assembled failed miserably only just avoiding relegation.  They then ignore the so called soft embargo this summer and buy in a £2m player. 

The Owls seem to have followed the EFLs guidance. Birmingham haven't 

5 minutes ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

If you can get footy to run at a profit then you may as well email FA, cos no offence mate but I reckon brainer people that you will have tried!

Just think the allowable losses are a joke. Everyone needs to take a step back. Despite TV deals that dwarf previous ones, football clubs are dancing round a £39m loss. It’s utterly bonkers, and any businessman with half a brain would go no where near it. And that’s why the game is full of cranks. It’s like politics. Sensible people who could add value take one look and walk away.