Great North Run

Hello folks

I am running the 2018 Great North Run on Sunday. Any other Wednesdayites running too? 

If you are, hope your training has gone well and best of luck to you on the day. Interested to know why others are running it and the charities they are supporting. 

I am running in aid of Lymphoma Action. Thousands  of people are affected by this form of cancer with someone, in the UK alone, being diagnosed every 28 minutes.

The money I'm raising will make sure that everyone coping with a diagnosis gets the best possible information and support, treatment and care. With your help Lymphoma Action can be there for everyone who needs them.

If any one can support a fellow owl and the cause I am raising money for that would be fantastic - my just giving page is https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/james-long88

Again, if you're running, best of luck..if not, I.salute your decision making 

WAWAW

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Warringtonowl said:

Hello folks

I am running the 2018 Great North Run on Sunday. Any other Wednesdayites running too? 

If you are, hope your training has gone well and best of luck to you on the day. Interested to know why others are running it and the charities they are supporting. 

I am running in aid of Lymphoma Action. Thousands  of people are affected by this form of cancer with someone, in the UK alone, being diagnosed every 28 minutes.

The money I'm raising will make sure that everyone coping with a diagnosis gets the best possible information and support, treatment and care. With your help Lymphoma Action can be there for everyone who needs them.

If any one can support a fellow owl and the cause I am raising money for that would be fantastic - my just giving page is https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/james-long88

Again, if you're running, best of luck..if not, I.salute your decision making 

WAWAW

Im doing it mate.

First time doing it myself and although I have trained since March it has been a struggle and still don’t feel massively confident due to niggling injuries that keep coming and going. Mainly doing it to prove a point to myself as I said I’d never be able to do it. Broke my wrist last year (day after Huddersfield second leg) and got a nasty pulmonary embolism caused by the break so that has pushed me on to do it.

Really looking forward to experience the whole even though. 

I am raising funds for it for Teesside Hospice who are our works local charity for the year. 

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

• Like 1

Well done boys! Lived in the Toon for 20 years. Always love the weekend. If you are around on Saturday try the City Games on the Quayside. Will be spectating near the start on the Central motorway fly over and my boys love spotting fellow Owls in their shirts. If you keep right on the motorway and go over the top road we will give you an up the Owls if you have colours on! 

1 hour ago, northeastowl said:

Im doing it mate.

First time doing it myself and although I have trained since March it has been a struggle and still don’t feel massively confident due to niggling injuries that keep coming and going. Mainly doing it to prove a point to myself as I said I’d never be able to do it. Broke my wrist last year (day after Huddersfield second leg) and got a nasty pulmonary embolism caused by the break so that has pushed me on to do it.

Really looking forward to experience the whole even though. 

I am raising funds for it for Teesside Hospice who are our works local charity for the year. 

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Good on you mate. You can do it. Just dont push yourself too hard. Its a (half) marathon not a sprint as the saying goes. 

My training has been on and off. And mostly off since the new season started as I referee at weekends and midweek so was hard to fit that in too. 

Likewise, let us know how u go :)

11 minutes ago, roll and nilsson said:

Well done boys! Lived in the Toon for 20 years. Always love the weekend. If you are around on Saturday try the City Games on the Quayside. Will be spectating near the start on the Central motorway fly over and my boys love spotting fellow Owls in their shirts. If you keep right on the motorway and go over the top road we will give you an up the Owls if you have colours on! 

My race pack hasnt arrived so I have to go down the quayside to the pasta party to grab my number and that. Will have my blue and white colours on show :biggrin:

2 hours ago, northeastowl said:

How did we get on then? 

I quite enjoyed it actually, the injuries I were worried about didn’t show their face so was a steady jog round in 2 hours 20.

Looking forward to jumping in this hot bath now. 

Well done.

Just got home. I got round in 2 hours 17 so similar times. Had to walk a little bit. Set off too hard. Was on for 1:50 at the 1/4 mark but setting off too hard and the heat did me in. 

Overall I am happy. It was my first 1/2 marathon and, probably, my last!! I managed to raise £542 which was over double my target. 

Massive thanks to the mystery sponsor. 

Edited by Warringtonowl
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, BIG D said:

Watched it and it’s made we want to do it next year.

What’s the chances of getting in? Better than London I hope!

I got in via pure gym. They had their own guaranteed places and did their own ballot of members. I actually filled in the entry a day late without looking and got an email next day saying i was in. So if you are a pure gym member you are in. 

Also, only 57000 this year. They accept 59999 so I cant imagine anyone got knocked back this year. 

12 hours ago, Royal(owl)Artillery said:

Well done Warrington Owl, only just seen the post, I also ran today for the Sick Children’s Trust, raised just shy of £1,800.  Fooooooooked my knee after 6 miles, was on course for a 1.45 too but trailed in at 2:10. Great day all round .

Wow. Very well done to you sir. I managed to raise just under £600 from a target of £250 so well made up with it. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Warringtonowl said:

I got in via pure gym. They had their own guaranteed places and did their own ballot of members. I actually filled in the entry a day late without looking and got an email next day saying i was in. So if you are a pure gym member you are in. 

Also, only 57000 this year. They accept 59999 so I cant imagine anyone got knocked back this year. 

My missus missed out through the ballot, so went through Cancer Research and got in. Minimum of £450 to be raised, but she exceeded that. She's currently taking it easy at home!