ENGLAND vs SPAIN - Official Matchday Thread

12 hours ago, I'm an Essex Owl said:

We were second best for most of the game but still created the best chances and if Rashford  could finish (and if the ref wasn't so completely incompetent) we would have won 4-2. For all of their lovely possession they didn't create much and their second goal was a gift.   

that was a 1 out of 10 refereeing performance.

That yellow card for Stones though :tango:

I wonder what the FIFA ref assessors will do to the ref for two diabolical decisions. Feck all. There's is the only professional where they are highly paid but fail misrerably time after time with little if no accountability. 

1 minute ago, bladeshater said:

Played two decent teams Belgium and Croatia and guess what happened 

I also don't get this 'we did well' in the world cup. Overall England were crap. Spain are a vastly more technical team and it showed last night. The coaching of our national side is so far apart from the Spains, French, Belgiums etc. Strange as a fair amount of there squads play in the Premier league and folk on here are crying out for a English manager of our local side. Very odd indeed. Gareth Southgate is showing he is a very average manager/coach. 

3 minutes ago, A12owl said:

One of the brightest points of last night game was seeing the young man who accompanied Harry Kane into the pitch and with his presentation of the Golden boot award. 

He gave a heart rending smile when posing with Kane.

There has to be a story behind it. Anybody know? 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-6146689/Harry-Kane-presented-World-Cup-Golden-Boot-England-manager-Gareth-Southgate.html

Harry Kane presented with World Cup Golden Boot by England boss Gareth Southgate before UEFA Nations League game against Spain

• Top scorer Kane was handed the Golden Boot award at Wembley on Saturday 
  • England captain scored six goals in six games at the tournament in Russia
  • He was accompanied by mascot Ben Williams, who is battling a brain tumour

By AMITAI WINEHOUSE

PUBLISHED: 15:37 EDT, 8 September 2018 | UPDATED: 17:39 EDT, 8 September 2018

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

View comments

10 hours ago, camffiti said:

5-1-1 formation (with 3 hiding 'between the lines') still not working 

Southgate still relying on those corner routines, that he stole from Paul Warne 

It cost us a World Cup Final place and this system won’t get us anywhere near to the level we need to be 

Like Wednesday it made England solid for a period but just leaves you lacking in offensively pro active areas and usually over run in midfield 

Hope Southgate changes it like Wednesday have. 

13 hours ago, JoshTheOwl said:

More entertaining game than usual. 

Ref was absolutely atrocious, how the fizz can that be a foul? Gave everything against us. 

Not seen replays of the penalty appeal in the 1st half, although looked another poor decision. 

Southgate needs to up his attacking game. A lot of the ball but still so static, so often we turned back and passed it around the back. Not convinced the back 5 is the way forward as it stifles any attacks. Taking so look to bring on a forward thinking player in Welbevk was very disappointing 

You mean we missed Sterling then ? 

1 hour ago, A12owl said:

One of the brightest points of last night game was seeing the young man who accompanied Harry Kane into the pitch and with his presentation of the Golden boot award. 

He gave a heart rending smile when posing with Kane.

There has to be a story behind it. Anybody know? 

Yes it was a touching moment and I hope it made that little stars day bless him 

Just now, dewsburyowl58 said:

But who created the better chances when all’s said and done ? 

That is true. I’m right behind Southgate and I hope he’s the manager for a long time. He deserves time to build and mould a new youthful team and also develop a different brand of football to previous England teams.

My point was, when do England ever win against elite teams. Our record in competition football in knockout games is so poor. I think our last win against an elite team in knockout football was against Spain in Euro 96 and that was a penalty shoot out. We are still miles away and patience is needed.

1 hour ago, CLswfc said:

I also don't get this 'we did well' in the world cup. Overall England were crap. Spain are a vastly more technical team and it showed last night. The coaching of our national side is so far apart from the Spains, French, Belgiums etc. Strange as a fair amount of there squads play in the Premier league and folk on here are crying out for a English manager of our local side. Very odd indeed. Gareth Southgate is showing he is a very average manager/coach. 

Wonder what we could achieve if we were good then ? Last night was only the 2nd defeat ever at Wembley in a competitive game 

2 minutes ago, Bouncing Owl said:

That is true. I’m right behind Southgate and I hope he’s the manager for a long time. He deserves time to build and mould a new youthful team and also develop a different brand of football to previous England teams.

My point was, when do England ever win against elite teams. Our record in competition football in knockout games is so poor. I think our last win against an elite team in knockout football was against Spain in Euro 96 and that was a penalty shoot out. We are still miles away and patience is needed.

I agree mate we are WIP at the moment , new style of play trying different players etc .  I think quite a few last night got wake up calls as they were found wanting under pressure . Our record in major tournaments against the top teams is poor we beat Argentina in 2002 and that’s as good as it gets 

I failed to excited by the pre tournament frendlies, but was watching all the WC games and was delighted with the 4th place because, I admit, my expectations were much lower before the start.

Spain have a good set of players, but as someone else says we are a WIP and so will have higher expectation at the next tourney where I may end up being disssapointed.......

Edited by Lombado