ENGLAND vs SPAIN - Official Matchday Thread

Putting this on Sky seems like a mistake to me.

After the World Cup and getting to the semi final there was a feel good around the England team.  First time in ages more people may have been interested in the national side, but now can't watch unless they pay.

9 hours ago, Watson said:

No, but the expectation before the World Cup was that we would do poorly, so to finish fourth is very much a progress of sorts and has given football in this country a massive lift.   

Still amazed at how a small country like Croatia can keep producing such good teams from a small pool of players, we have much to learn from them I feel.

I'd think it's probably due to a lack of money in the game in Croatia compared, so they're teams are not full of foreign mercenaries meaning they have to look to bring good kids through their youth structure and they  get to get playing experience early as there's less obstacles into the first team. 

6 minutes ago, shezzas left peg said:

I'd think it's probably due to a lack of money in the game in Croatia compared, so they're teams are not full of foreign mercenaries meaning they have to look to bring good kids through their youth structure and they  get to get playing experience early as there's less obstacles into the first team. 

Even so their pool of players is still smaller and their players are playing at the top European clubs .

7 minutes ago, shezzas left peg said:

True, but there's no lack of money in La Liga and plenty of foreigners and yet their teams are still prepared to give their home grown players more opportunities. Last year around 35% of the players to appear in the Premier League were English compared with 53% in La Liga.

3 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

True, but there's no lack of money in La Liga and plenty of foreigners and yet their teams are still prepared to give their home grown players more opportunities. Last year around 35% of the players to appear in the Premier League were English compared with 53% in La Liga.

Its obviously a mix of structure and culture bud. More of their top teams tend to have home grown managers and the talented kids aren't just gobbled up by a few of the biggest teams and can't get a game. I think the Spanish are more of the idea if your good enough your old enough. We're over here more obsessed with wanting to play players with experience, if you look at the likes of barker, Abraham and Co at Chelsea and a few of the man City starlets, they' just wouldn't give them a game preferring to loan them out to other teams until they get bored and move on round about 23/24 having hardly kicked a first team ball for them... 

The top clubs mentality has to change for England to progress. 

1 minute ago, Maddogbob said:

Wow that was horrible injury to Shaw.

Head just bounced off the floor.

In other news I'm finding this a bit tedious. Spain obviously on a completely different level to England.

Not according to the world rankings :rolleyes:

FRAFrance 1726(1726.41) 1198 6  
  2 BELBelgium 1723(1722.66) 1298 1  
  3 BRABrazil 1657(1656.84) 1431 -1  
  4 CROCroatia 1643(1642.72) 945 16  
  5 URUUruguay 1627(1627.19) 1018 9  
  6 ENGEngland 1615(1614.61) 1051 6  
  7 PORPortugal 1599(1599.25) 1274 -3  
  8 SUISwitzerland 1597(1596.89) 1199 -2  
  9 ESPSpain 1580(1580.29) 1126 1

1 minute ago, Dronfield Blue said:

Not according to the world rankings :rolleyes:

FRAFrance 1726(1726.41) 1198 6  
  2 BELBelgium 1723(1722.66) 1298 1  
  3 BRABrazil 1657(1656.84) 1431 -1  
  4 CROCroatia 1643(1642.72) 945 16  
  5 URUUruguay 1627(1627.19) 1018 9  
  6 ENGEngland 1615(1614.61) 1051 6  
  7 PORPortugal 1599(1599.25) 1274 -3  
  8 SUISwitzerland 1597(1596.89) 1199 -2  
  9 ESPSpain 1580(1580.29) 1126 1

I wouldnt give those the time of day fella, England are getting a hiding ATM. By a better team.

Spain are better on so many levels - techinically (which is a given) but they also pressure the English player in possession - hunting the ball down in packs of players. Additionally, they have far more ideas and ability in getting the ball into the opponents final third - England look pretty much bereft of ideas in that regard.