IF, you could bring back any Wednesday player from the past into this squad....

1 hour ago, Lord Snooty said:

@asteener1867

What system are we playing here?  We're getting some great players mentioned but many in positions we already have strength in

Extremely pertinent point m'lud.

As much as Sheridan was a wonderful player, would he work better alongside Bannan than Palmer? Not for me.

Although, boy they'd be some lovely one touch passes between the two of them.

:goalie:

Edited by Cosby Blunkett
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, TrickyTrev said:

As the squad stands Carlton Palmer.

He did the work of 3 players, could play in midfield and central defence, would make us significantly harder to beat and would free up the likes of Bannan and Reach to focus solely on attacking.

Carlton Palmer was a top quality player.

Trev has nailed it.

2 hours ago, TrickyTrev said:

He did the work of 3 players, could play in midfield and central defence, would make us significantly harder to beat and would free up the likes of Bannan and Reach to focus solely on attacking.

Spot on. 

Always annoys me when Palmer pops up in those "worst players to play for England" lists. Usually put there by people who've never seen him play

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, emersonthome said:

Spot on. 

Always annoys me when Palmer pops up in those "worst players to play for England" lists. Usually put there by people who've never seen him play

Just people jumping on the bandwagon.

If it weren’t for Palmer I’m not sure Waddle and Sheridan could’ve played in the same midfield.

Played 18 times for his country, played in Europe (when it was actually difficult to qualify for Europe) and when you consider midfielders such as Joey Barton, Jake Livermore, David Dunn, Steve Guppy and David Bentley have all played for England it’s laughable that Palmer makes those lists.

42 minutes ago, Dronfield Blue said:

Brave quote

Hirst, Waddle, Quixall, Fantham, Springett, et al.

Great player though.

Good point about the 60's players, although I went as a small boy in the 60's I don't have any sensible memory of the three you mentioned. 

As for Hirst and Waddle. I think Roland was easily a better footballer. 

4 hours ago, TrickyTrev said:

Absolutely this is the player we need more than any, would definatley kick a few players not performing up the arse also.

Need a leader so desperately.

Some interesting replies on here. For the last 6 months everyone has been banging on about how unbalanced the squad is with too many forwards and no full backs, a centre back or midfield enforcer and when asked who you'd add the vast majority go for a forward or winger!!

For that reason for me its Lyons, Palmer or Nilsson

Although, whilst Nilsson was a mile the better footballer and would have walked in to any world XI when we had him, I wonder if Sterland in his prime would be a better option given his drive and ability going forward.....I don't necessarily agree with myself on this but thought I'd put it out there

• Like 2