Any non-Sheffield folk on here who fell in love with SWFC?

My early Wednesday games were mainly away games, within striking distance from Oxford Then I started traveling to Sheffield for the home games Used to jump tje night train, and jump off as it slowed down on the approach to Sheffield 

there were four of us, 3 from Oxford, and a guy from Banbury In the end, we decided to move to Sheffield One guy couldn’t hack it, and moved straight back home In those days, it was a bit of a culture shock, relocating from Oxford to Sheffield 

Ended up staying in Sheffield for 15 years,  and loved every bit of it Had a season ticket for 14 of those 15 years, and hardly missed a game, home or away 

Now back in Oxford, following spells in Malaga and Moscow, I get to about a dozen games a yeat Crazy how the club has played such a huge part in my life

Of the 4 of us who moved up, 2 of us are back in Oxford, one returned to Banbury, and the other, sadly Inve lost contact with 

Last I heard, he’d moved to Cheshire and now doesn’t attend games

Edited by gurujuan
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Born in Ossett live there and Dewsbury all my life . My Dad took me to a few different grounds in 1970 but they meant nothing until we went to Hillsborough . I , like many others was instantly hooked and never went to any other game it was Wednesday or nothing . Can remember making the home shirt up out of a long sleeved white shirt  with a short sleeved blue top worn over it . My favourite colour is blue my Grandad lived in Attercliffe but I never knew him . It just felt right,  like I had gone home and to this day still feels the same . I had no mates who were Wednesday fans so travelled alone to games , I envy all the tales I read from Sheffield lads missed out on that would have loved going to away games with the likes of the OCS . 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Yes - South West Cumbria...Reason my Dad told me I was a Wednesdayite and took me to my first game when I was 6 against Leicester in 1984. He chose Wednesday as he shares the same name as a player in the early 60's read in the paper that he had a good game one day and as a teenager that was enough for my Dad. We had relatives in Rotherham so was handy if wanted to make a weekend of it. Otherwise it would be a 6 hr round trip for a home game then picking up selective away games. 

I wouldnt change a thing supporting our amazing unique club through thick and thin. You don't chose Wednesday, they choose you WAWAW

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Born in Germany then moved to Morley area where her family came from. Dad had precious little in sport. Younger brother was a very decent footballer in his own right - why he was a Chelsea fan in the late 50s/ early 60s is still a mystery! Maybe Jimmy Greaves had something to do with it. Grandad was interested in all sports. He was born a stones throw from Brammall Lane. Turned out he was the only Blade in his family. He took me to a couple of matches at the Lane, maybe trying to indoctrinate me. Then he took me to see a derby match at Hillsborough not long after the"cantilever" stand was opened. Totally enthralled by the whole experience even though the Owls lost 2-3. To his eternal credit Grandad answered all my questions about Wednesday: where the name came from, why were they called the Owls, why did some people call them the yo-yos? But the biggest attraction was they had a player called Fantham! From then on I had a blue and white striped shirt and became"phantom" in honour of my boyhood hero whenever I was playing football. 

• Like 3

Well my story is boring compared to all these. From Barnsley (not really sure that counts). Half family Barnsley fans, Half family Wednesday fans. Taken to Hillsborough in 91 against Spurs. Fantastic experience, Taken to Oakwell on a wet Tuesday night against Peterborough, terrible. 'Where do you want to go next time we go to the football'. Simple answer. My dad worked weekends and so had to get to games when he was off, When i got older we got season tickets, typically it was the first season after being relegated from the PL, but don't worry that was our 'return ticket!'. :duntmatter: Season ticket holder and mentally unstable ever since!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

All of my mother's family are from the Grimesthorpe area but moved to Cornwall in the 1960s. My grandad and uncle influenced my decision to support Wednesday. It was strange growing up supporting them surrounded by glory hunting Liverpool and Man Utd fans. Wouldn't have it any other way though.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Born in Doncaster but only ever loved Wednesday. lived and worked in many other places but only interested in Wednesday.

Live in Watlington still have season ticket but looking to move to South Yorkshire. Have said it will be a better standard of living for us but in truth will be easier to attend games.

• Like 2

I am from Essex and moved to Sheffield a year ago and now have a ST on the North Stand (first ST of many), really enjoying it!  My Dad took me to my first ever game when I was about 15 or so, it was away at West Ham and we lost 5-1, I think it was in 1999 - I have been a fan ever since.  Before moving here I would only go to 3-5 away games per year and 1 or 2 home games, now I will be going to all home games and hopefully still 3-5 away games.

Sheffield Wednesday fans have always been good to me, always meet nice people at games, thats one of the main reasons I moved to Sheffield - the people and the club. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I live in Donny and was taken to Hillsborough by an ex player Jackie Shaw he played for us in the late 50's my first game was December 1964  Blackpool 4-1 to us I remember John Fantham scoring with a diving header from about 12 yards out .

As the saying goes the rest is history.

we travelled to the game in a new Ford Pop which still had plastic bags on the seats from when it was first bought

• Like 1

I grew up in Buxton then Bakewell, so you get a weird mix of clubs supported depending on which side of the peaks you lived. Lots of Man U and Derby, and both Sheff clubs.

I had little interest in football until I was 15-16. Just wasn't on my radar. I even went to a couple of Derby County games with school ticket freebies and thought it was great, but never went off my own back.

Then one magical day I went to Hillsborough with my little bro (who a few of you know by his cunning username of Will Kirby) and some of his mates. Something about the whole experience gave me a massive football boner that has yet to subside :duntmatter: 

The rest is history! 

• Like 1

All of my family are pne fans we live about 7 miles away. About 1983ish I was a young lad who wanted to be different than my brothers and played rather than watched as pne were pants then . A group of us were on a day out to watch pne it had been torrential rain for weeks all local football and a number of league games had been cancelled . On the way to the game [can’t remember who against ] it came on radio the game was cancelled [no mobiles in them days]. We decided that the nearest game to us still on was Everton at home to the owls. All home ends were full and the only place we could get in was with away fans. It chucked it down the whole game and it was the old park end with no roof the game finished 1-1 I think Brian Marwood  broke Adrian Heaths leg by accident of course. Myself and a friend had a good chat an laugh with a few different Wednesday fans during game and after in a pub . We decided to go to Sheffield and see what it was all about and had such a good time was impressed very much by the owls support I still get to games home and away 35 years or so later and go with my son also a converted owl.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Born in Dublin, Ireland. Got a hand-me-down jersey from a guy in my estate when I was a young kid - I then asked "Santa" for the current jersey that Christmas in 96'.

Came down to a couple of presents, but no jersey. However, there was a letter on the mantlepiece, old man told me to open it. Apparently, I refused... I was furious, it was literally the only thing I had asked for that year. My old man again asked me to open it, me being a little brat wouldn't. I had assumed it was an apology from Santa for not getting me the jersey. A little later he asks again and I open it. Two tickets to Arsenal (who he supports) and Wednesday on Boxing Day in Hillsborough and two flight tickets from Dublin to Leeds-Bradford. Couldn't believe it.

Hooked ever since and try get to 10+ games a year if I can, quite a lot on my own, surrounded by Utd and Liverpool fans all my life over here but despite the heartbreak, you just wouldn't have it any other way. 

WAWAW.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Yep, I’m from Stoke, started following Wednesday in the early 90’s. Saw them on the tv playing some great attacking football and they just became my team! Don’t have any links to Sheffield either, closest I can say is my nan was from Yorkshire (Todmorden)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Been supporting Wednesday 25 years as a southern Owl living 10 miles outside Reading (that was never going to happen!....joke of a club, with most fickle, dispassionate fans ever).

Elder son got us into Wednesday in 1993 as a 10-year old after watching the two cup finals on TV.

We've been travelling up and down ever since - with the family support base having grown to old fart (me), two (now adult) sons, younger one's fiancee and 9 year old son. 

Immediately memorable highlights are - Cardiff and Wembley Play Off Finals (so proud to be part of those); the 3-3 Michael Owen hat-trick game against Liverpool; the 3-0 against Arsenal in 2015; the privilege of watching Waddle, Hirst, Sheridan, Walker, Carbone and Di Canio first hand; the Wycombe promotion game, Paul Sturrock's tenure generally; the late 2-2 comeback at Bramall Lane in 2011; the New Barrack and the Chinese Chippy

Top of mind lowlights - Crystal Palace relegation match ("Toegate"); the 5-1 defeat on a foul night at Stevenage;, Dave Allen's rancorous chairmanship; the 2002/3 squad (Beswetherick, Armstrong, Tidman, Westwood, Barry-Murphy et al) and any game under Alan Irvine, whose selections, tactics and substitutions got me to boiling point pretty much every time I witnessed them.

Ironically, having taken early retirement and moved to Beverley, I now watch Wednesday less than ever -  not yet qualifying for a seniors season ticket and having to limit myself to the odd game where pay on the gate prices are reduced and affordable.    

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Born and raised in West Sussex but the old man is from Sheffield. Went to the odd game down south in the mid 80s when I was around 4/5 but I wasn't deemed old enough to go more regularly or to Hillsborough until the early 90s, perfect timing really!

Aside from my dad and brother @East Sussex Owl, have always been on my own as a supporter as never found another at school or work etc. Even now, as my two daughters hate football and won't entertain the idea of watching with me. Believe I once saw a Wednesday shirt in the village I live in though, and randomly a tiler who worked on my house last year was an Owl, I noticed his Wednesday beanie hat and he thought I was taking the wee wee when I shouted "up the owls" :tango:

But I have always loved the Wednesday and always will 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1