Any non-Sheffield folk on here who fell in love with SWFC?

I’m from Sussex. Dad is Sheffield, he baptised me at an early age 

First season ticket in 01/02 when we got back from a posting living in Nigeria. Wondered a few months into the season what I’d done to piiss my dad off. 02/03, 03/04 still some of the worst football I’ve ever seen, but surprisingly that’s when I was the biggest fan. Obviously still am today, but I’ve weaved off a little in terms of going to matches for a few reasons 

Edited by FreshOwl
  • Like 1

from north Nth Yorks. coast brother was at sheff. uni. went to visit he took me to a game, me hooked went down quite regularly for games in the 80s and up to mid 90s. stopped going due to personal circumstances, for last 20 odd years, apart from odd occasions. mid 50s now and still get peeved if we lose.

• Like 2

Londoner with no ties to Sheffield. Palace are my local team, dad is a Chelsea fan (but is anything but passionate). Was never encouraged to like football as a kid.

Watched the '93 FA Cup Final as a naive 10 year old with no understanding of the game or geography and decided to make it more interesting I wanted the blue and white team to win. And here I am 25 years later, wondering what it could have been had I chosen the other team...

• Like 4

Grew up in East Surrey. From the age of about four I was fascinated with owls. No idea why. My dad's side of the family are all Arsenal fans from North London and my mum's side of the family are all Palace fans from near Croydon, but my dad told me one day that Wednesday were the Owls so I decided that would be my team, even though Palace were the closest to where I lived. My best mate at school was collecting the Panini Football '87 stickers and he gave me his spares of Lawrie Madden, Nigel Worthington, Carl Shutt and Paul Hart and I soon became obsessed with Wednesday. I'm just about the right side of forty now and owls are still my thing.

• Like 5

In many ways I am as un-Sheffield as it gets, apart from my negative glass half empty approach to life. I grew up in the west country and through my mother am very Cornish and, truth be told, quite posh. My main sports are rugby and yachting however my father's family are from Sheffield and through his mother's line we can trace ourselves back to the founders. I think it was the 1988/89 season, we had been to Sidmouth for the day and had been rushed back to the car so that Dad could find the football results. We hadn't been to watch Exeter play rugby that day as the rugby season finished much earlier in those days. If I recall correctly, Wednesday had drawn with Norwich to stay up and my father, who had been to one game in my lifetime, nearly crashed the car with joy. I remember thinking "there must be something in this". A year later we moved to the Cotswolds, the 3-0 defeat to Forest was on moving day (you can imagine how that went). We were lucky that Dad's job provided him with nice big modern cars and free petrol and because it was now only two and a bit hours to Sheffield, he took me to the West Ham game a week or three into the 1990-91 season. I was massively unfortunate to start with that team and that season. Three years of unbroken euphoric success got me hooked and here I am, bitter and twisted nearly thirty years later.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Lived in Mosborough for three years as a toddler (born in Manchester) - does that count?

I'm a Wednesday fan because my brother is. He was born in Sheffield. We're both born on a Wednesday!

But my son follows recent family tradition (of not being Forest fans) by supporting Wednesday. He's a Londoner and 10 years old.

• Like 2

Not from Sheffield. No connection to Sheffield. Started watching football when I was quite young, which is odd as nobody else in my family cares for it. Used to stay up all hours watching it when on ABC (our equivalent of BBC). Never had a specific favourite team for the longest time but Wednesday would pop up from time to time and I was always interested. This club has such history and that history is worn in that name. With the late 80s and the irresistible rise of Wednesday I was completely hooked. Never looked back and now I bleed blue and white. It is only retrospectively that I think this was meant to happen as I learn more about Sheffield. I have a soft spot for Yorkshire too. 

• Like 7

I grew up in North Yorkshire and started taking an interest in Football in the early 90's.

Despite the location, I was surrounded by Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs, Man United, and Leeds fans (the closest 'big' club). The issue was that living in the middle of nowhere, every team was far away. The most local teams were York, Darlington or Leeds.

I also had no influence from from parents as my Dad takes no interest in Football, my Mum's side are Middlesbrough but I was never taken to a game.

What got me hooked on Wednesday was watching the FA Cup game away to Derby in March 1993. Wednesday were wearing the Yellow and Black shirts, and in the process of that game I turned from being a 9 year old kid who took a vague interest in Football to being completely engrossed and desperately wanting the team in yellow and black to win. The game finished 3-3. From then on I never looked back.

It took two years of nagging my parents to take me to see a game at Hillsborough. My first game was two years later - March 1995 at home to Wimbledon. We lost 1-0. A terrible game but I absolutely loved the stadium, the team, the shirt, and could never support another team.

• Like 4

Born in Essex and parents were from Sheffield. 

Dad took me to my first game with my brother and loved it. Then we went regularly from around 00/01 and had season tickets for several years. Loved travelling up and down the country and going to almost every game even though I have supported the team throughout arguably our worst period. Enjoyed away games more as the atmosphere seemed better with less expectation.

Now I have other commitments so only can get to around 2/3 games a year from West Sussex as moved recently.

Have seen someone in Worthing wearing a SWFC shirt and it amazes me how big a club we actually are with fans everywhere.  

• Like 2