Any non-Sheffield folk on here who fell in love with SWFC?

I was always the nerdy kid at school who collected pens (wierd i know) there was this one girl who everyone fancied who came to me for a pen...i said i would swap a pen for something....we agreed to a swap...a pen for a sheffield wednesday door hanger so from then on i said i was a wednesday fan...i didnt really know anything about them but then got to attend my first game when the caretaker (a close family friend and ST holder)took me...we got to the game quite early so not many fans was there at the time i stood at the top of the cop looked at the ground in all its glory and fell in love...i knew from that moment on what it was to be a wednesday fan to have that passion win lose or draw and i havnt looked back since

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Me. 

I live waaaaay down south in a town most people probably haven’t heard of, in Gloucestershire. 

My older brother was a Spurs fan, and I remember watching Linekar, Gazza, and a few others... but especially The Waddler. 

He then jetted off to Marseille and my uncle got me the white OM top with 3 blue Adidas stripes on the shoulder. Then I didn’t really hear much about him until it was announced he’d be returning to England. 

So I have no Sheffield connections whatsoever. I just fell in love with one man.... no actually let me rephrase that. 

I was an admirer of Chris Waddle, so much so that I affiliated myself to The Massive. 

I get to watch them fairly often, and usually get to away days down south. 

But my local team would be either SWINDON or FOREST GREEN. 

who I also occasionally watch for an easy 20 minute drive as opposed to a 8hr round trip. 

But at the end of the day, we’re all Wednesday aren’t we ?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Me moved to Maltby from the fattist republic of Scotland when I was 7, went to my first Wednesday game when i was a teen with my mates against Man Utd on the impressive uncovered Kop In November 1985 beat them 1.0 big Lee Chapman scoring nearly 49,000 at the game, got hooked....

Not so hooked now though if i am to be honest sadly...

Edited by steveger
  • Like 1

I think it is brilliant the number of people posting in here.

I must admit I am a bit sceptical when I meet someone who supports a club with no apparent connection. Granted these are mainly Premier league teams and when you scratch the surface you often find a story.

But I love all these people who support Wednesday with no obvious reason.

UTO

• Like 1

No Sheffield connection supported the club since the age of 4. My dad (Reading fan) always said "he will grow out of it" but i never did. He was always trying to bribe me with a Reading shirt if i changed teams. Funny thing is he comes with me to games wearing a Wednesday shirt and im pretty sure hes more Wednesday than Reading now (even sat in the away end on Saturday). 

Now its me hoping I grow out of it as its making me skint and miserable but at 33 its unlikely. Love the place, love the people and just cant switch it off. Still get goosebumps heading to the ground on match day. 

• Like 5

On 05/09/2018 at 09:48, peacock1961 said:

That's my story to a tee, apart from it being my Grandad who took me.

i reckon 1/2 the support is from Rotherham, yet we seem to be prejudiced against.

Tbf Rotherham does come under a Sheffield postcode. lol

I was born in Rotherham but only a couple of hundred yards over border, near bottom of West Hill estate at Kimberworth where it over looks M1 and Wincobank.

Mum was born in Sheffield and Dad moved there from Ireland 1960ish so being a Miller was never an option. 

• Like 1

Loved reading this thread, having lived a stones throw from the ground all my life there was no other option for me. Neither of my parents liked football but Wednesday chose me, my mates when I was young were mostly blades with the odd man u, Liverpool fan. My mates occasionally came to Hillsborough with me to watch Wednesday but I never went to the lane unless it was a derby, just couldn't bring myself to do it.

• Like 1

On 05/09/2018 at 09:44, stevewhiterose said:

From Rotherham (like many Owls) and my dad took me to see all the local teams and cant really explain it but going to Hillsborough just seemed right, even though it was the mid 70s when we were rubbish. That didn't matter to a 10 year old. Maybe its because Wednesday played in blue and most local teams wear red. Stuff like that can matter to a 10 year old i suppose.

Similar story

My Dad and his brothers (from Maltby) were all Wednesday fans. 

We lived in Rotherham which does not really have a team and certainly did not have a ground for many years.

I moved to Bristol for 5 years then I have been based in Nottingham for 33 years. 

Still only Hillsborough offers a proper ground and proper support....I hope we never move to a different ground even though it would make it easier for me to get there it would not be the same.

• Like 1

From Wolverhampton, couldn't wait to get out, so I never really "felt" the wolves. Went to a match, promotion season.. 91 I was 16 or 17. Wolves won (3-1? Or 3-2) but for some reason I was taken by them. Also, for some reason, my mates seemed to hate Wednesday, so, out of spite a marriage was made

• Like 2

I live in the middle of Ireland and have no connections whatsoever with Sheffield other than the Wednesday, knew nothing about football and if I was asked who was my team I always said Aston villa, in my village everyone supports Liverpool or Man U or arsenal, I seen Wednesday playing arsenal in the league cup and fa cup when I was ten in the early 90s  and fell in love with the owls, don't know any other owls apart from whoever on here and at the few matches I can make it to 

• Like 3