Any non-Sheffield folk on here who fell in love with SWFC?

Me :) I honestly don't know why they ended up being my team in the early-mid 80s though TBH. I used to visit my Aunty in Sheffield for the summers, my favourite colour is blue, I was born on a Wednesday, that's as close as I can get to a reason but it's far too late to go back now :)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

From Rotherham (like many Owls) and my dad took me to see all the local teams and cant really explain it but going to Hillsborough just seemed right, even though it was the mid 70s when we were rubbish. That didn't matter to a 10 year old. Maybe its because Wednesday played in blue and most local teams wear red. Stuff like that can matter to a 10 year old i suppose.

• Like 2

My step dad and I are from Bridlington with no Sheffield connections.

he fell in love with Wednesday in the late 70’s (division 3 days) he and 3 mates were Hull City fans. He always tells me about playing Wednesday towards end of the season and not having a lot to play for but pulling up at Boothferry on the train and seeing a sea of blue and white around the ground and huge noise. 

He and his mates decided the next season to go and watch a few Wednesday games as they though it looked ‘flipping ace’ 

All 4 if them fell in love with Wednesday so I was lumbered with them when he came into my life! 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, stevewhiterose said:

From Rotherham (like many Owls) and my dad took me to see all the local teams and cant really explain it but going to Hillsborough just seemed right, even though it was the mid 70s when we were rubbish. That didn't matter to a 10 year old. Maybe its because Wednesday played in blue and most local teams wear red. Stuff like that can matter to a 10 year old i suppose.

That's my story to a tee, apart from it being my Grandad who took me.

i reckon 1/2 the support is from Rotherham, yet we seem to be prejudiced against.

No Sheffield connections Was the only kid at school in Oxford who supported them, though I don’t know why Guess I just thought the name was pretty cool. Like most of the Wednesday fans I know down here, it was the away trips that sealed the deal There’s about a dozen of us who might travel together, an equal split between those with no real connections like me, and ex Sheffielders who’ve move to the city.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Grew up in Hastings, but my Dads side of the Family are all from Sheffield.  My Dad's Cousin was a United Fan, but thankfully his Wife was a Wednesday Fan having grown up near the ground.  She would always buy me Wednesday related things and send me articles from the local papers. (this was back in the 80.90's)  Like someone else has said, I was the only Wednesday fan in a School surrounded by the usual Manchester United/Liverpool/Arsenal/Spurs fans and I loved the fact that most of these fans didn't have a clue who Wednesday were.

Used to make the odd home game whenever we visited the Family but in the early years, due to my location, I went to far more away games and absolutely loved it. 

• Like 3

From a non football fan family in deepest Lincolnshire. A schoolmate of mine supported arsenal so to spite him I supported Wednesday in the cup final. I grew up wedded to the owls and my mate grew up to be an arsenal supporting knobhead. If he hadn’t been so unlikeable I could have been a gooner (shudder).

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, peacock1961 said:

That's my story to a tee, apart from it being my Grandad who took me.

i reckon 1/2 the support is from Rotherham, yet we seem to be prejudiced against.

I assume you mean prejudice from Rotherham fans. The way i've always looked at it is we support one of many local teams in a large metropolitan area. A bit like living in London or Birmingham.

Grew up in Kent but my mothers family were from Sheffield and I was taken to a Wednesday match by my elderly relative (can't remember who against) and sat in the upper West stand with him. He was a pensioner with a S/T so I guess at some point this was designated a home area.

Most kids either supported Chelsea or dirty L**ds and wore their such ties with numbers on but I became a proud owl and still am today!

• Like 3

My story is that I’m originally from Sussex and by rights I should support Brighton. But my family moved around the country a lot when I was young so I never really settled in one place. Plus I was never really interested in football at that age anyway.

When I was 6 or 7 all my friends had football teams so I decided it was time I picked a club to support, and one Saturday afternoon my parents had the radio on while the football results were being read out. And I listened to all the club names, some of which I knew by then but many I didn’t. And I heard all the United’s and City’s and Rovers and undifferentiated place names being reeled off. And then I heard the words Sheffield Wednesday, and my weird mind immediately latched onto this most unusual name for a football club. And we lived near Lincoln at the time, so Sheffield wasn’t really that far away. So from that day on, Sheffield Wednesday have been my team.

As I became more and more interested and knowledgeable about football I could, I suppose, have transferred my allegiance to a more famous and successful club. But I never did. I stuck by Wednesday through good times and bad – probably more bad than good it has to be said. And I think I can say that with a 45 year emotional investment in SWFC my southern origins are no longer an issue. Anyway, one of the great things about Wednesay for me is that we’ve always had an appeal beyond Sheffield.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

My daughter went to Sheffield Uni to study Engineering in 2013. I suggested we go to a game as I'd always had a soft spot for Wednesday.

It was the 13th game of the season against Reading and we hadn't won any of the previous twelve, but you can probably remember the result that day!

I've been a season ticket holder for a few years now.

• Like 7

Grew up in rural Dorset but family connections made it an easy choice. 

Funnily enough was 4 or 5 other Wednesday fans in my year at school and whenever I wore a shirt for football matches etc other kids regularly came up ang told me their dad etc etc supported Wednesday. 

Nice little village to grow up in, however  it was soon ruined by a blade moving in, all down hill from there. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, farlego said:

Grew up in Kent but my mothers family were from Sheffield and I was taken to a Wednesday match by my elderly relative (can't remember who against) and sat in the upper West stand with him. He was a pensioner with a S/T so I guess at some point this was designated a home area.

Most kids either supported Chelsea or dirty L**ds and wore their such ties with numbers on but I became a proud owl and still am today!

yeah may dad always used to get us ST's in the West Upper, until we eventually moved to the north when it became the away end

• Like 1

"nobody told me there would be days like these!"

2 hours ago, gurujuan said:

No Sheffield connections Was the only kid at school in Oxford who supported them, though I don’t know why Guess I just thought the name was pretty cool. Like most of the Wednesday fans I know down here, it was the away trips that sealed the deal There’s about a dozen of us who might travel together, an equal split between those with no real connections like me, and ex Sheffielders who’ve move to the city.

Do you know Paul 'Walter' Cundy? Big Wednesday fan. Him and his missus own Liscious, the trendy retro shop. 

Its pleasing to see people from further afield supporting us. Up here I often get 'why do you support wednesday'? usually followed with 'because I was foooking born there' and then discuss why someone born and bred in blackpool or preston supports man u.....their dad stopping for a pie once in salford should'nt really count! :rolleyes:

Edited by Lythamowl
  • Like 1