Do you remember your first time at Hillsborough?

I'm from a family of Sheffield United supporters and sadly my mum and dad separated when I was 6. Mum struggled at the time because she was left with myself (6) and my sister who had just turned 1 at the time. We didn't have much money & things were tough for us but mainly mum, its only as you got older you realise the sacrifices she made. She could not afford to take us out much or to participate in any activities at the time so I only got took out really when family or friends offered to take us. 

One of those occasions was when my uncle (mums brother) offered to take me to Hillsborough to watch Wednesday. It was a night game against Shrewsbury Town (79/80), we stood on the Crows nest and it finished 0-0.

The game was absolutely dire and to cap it off it chucked it down all night but I was hooked, the lights, the atmosphere, the blue and white stripes even the rain. It was a memory that stuck with me from that day and I immediately fell in love with Wednesday. From that day i just wanted to watch Wednesday as much as i could and hoped that it would not be long till i got to go again. 

I was fortunate that after a few years mum met a new bloke who became and still is my step-dad and he was an owl, as part of the bonding sessions he decided that man and boy had to go to watch Wednesday to get to know each other better, i was never not going to get on with him was I LOL.

For me Wednesday is more than a hobby or entertainment. Its a defining moment in my childhood & my upbringing, watching Wednesday made me happy and to this day still does. Yes i want them to be successful but for me its about spending time doing something I love, i introduced my daughter to Wednesday and through her eyes I could and still can see that she gets the same buzz as i used to all those years ago. I love meeting up with mates in the pub beforehand and afterwards. For me Wednesday is moe than just a football club.

• Like 7

16th March 1983  against Burnley in the FA Cup Quarter Final Replay. My mate at school had a spare ticket.. went along, was obviously very busy with a proper buzz outside the ground.  Got in around 10mins before kick-off... Sat in the North Stand, never forget walking up the gangway and looking out on a nearly full floodlit stadium.  Totally awe inspiring!

Smashed em 5-0!! ... If the sights, sounds and result of that game doesn't hook you in for life then football isn't for you!

Although Saturday 3pm is the tradition football KO time, I do love a packed Hillsborough under the floodlights (Arsenal game etc)........ probably because of the above.

• Like 2

1958 against Manchester United. I think we were relegated that year .  I think Quixall played. My outstanding memory standing with my dad behind the goal on the Kop, was the game being held up whilst the net was mended after the ball finished up in the back of the net via the side netting. Quixall ended up at Manchester and Wednesday became known as the yo-yo team. Getting relegated and promoted in alternate seasons. Thus began a love affair with the club despite living so close to Bramall lane you could hear the roar of the crowd when the goals went in.

Guest LittleG

My dad took me to my first match - 1961, midweek game against Arsenal, think we drew. Stood on the Leppings Lane end and the ground looked so good once the floodlights came on. My dad also took me to my first away match (Elland Road) in a Morris Oxford, shouldn't really mention this but he hadn't even passed his test.

5 hours ago, steelcityowlsfan said:

My first time was round the back of a greenhouse on allotments off Harris road...oh sorry Hillsborough was a PL game against Chelsea in the 90's when they had Ruud Gullit playing. Finsihed 0-0 :duntmatter:

Was a fan for many years before this But could never afford to go. Used to have pictures of Warhust on bedroom wall.

Could never afford to go.WTF:

Rubbish, can't believe it !

Everybody on here knows that everyone could afford it back then.

It's only since D.C. took control that fans have been priced out of attending, innit ?lol

Edited by oldtawnyowl

79/80 no idea what game, as mentioned before remember how green the grass was. We were on the front of the Kop and just remember this bloke trying to catch flies with his hands at half time......

The front of the Kop there was usually plenty of space we were only about 8 or 9 we couldn't get further back as that's where the 'blokes' went and we wouldn't have been able to see. 

Promotion season if I remember it correctly 1958 v Barnsley. 

Standing behind the away dug out, corner of South Stand terrace near the tunnel.

With my Dad and two uncles. I remember we won. Think 2-0.

It rained all afternoon, got home soaked but I was hooked by the atmosphere that day.

like an earlier post, We parked up Rockley Rd and bought sweets from a shop run by two old ladies just round the corner on Middlewood Rd. Got wine gums. Couldn’t stand Dad’s Murray Mints.

• Like 1

feb 62 v blunts  aged 8 …..wasn't really interested in football but went along with my blunt supporting mate and his dad for some reason .loved it but still not sure who I supported until they took me to the lane later that same year , we drew 2-2 and having been to both grounds I decided Hillsborough was the place for me . …..

10th April 1967 v Man Utd at Hillsborough. Evening kick off. Seeing the stadium lit up, illuminated sign at the back of the Kop as we walked down Herries Road. Looked back at the viaduct ( 5 arches) and there was a barn owl perched in a little recess high up above the arches...you couldn’t have scripted it better! Must have got the last seats in the South that night because we were right at the back, level with the roof it seemed. Final score 2-2 and the first time I’d ever heard the old fella swear...in the crush to get in! Couldn’t tell you who scored for us but think Charlton scored for them. Great, great day/ night.

• Like 1

I was 36,season 92 /93. I'd been a closet fan since 66 Cup Final and had seen Wednesday at a number of grounds but never Hillsborough. 

Moved to Sheffield and bought a season ticket having never visited the ground and the first time I walked in to take my seat virtually on the halfway line in the South Stand, I was awestruck. It was beautiful. 2-0 v Villa and a night game to boot. 

24 years as a season ticket holder, but now in France, but looking forward to Preston match in December. 

1986/87 last game of the season, lose 2-0 to Wimbledon, they had about 30 fans in a pen on leppings lane there were about 18k Wednesday fans. Cost £3 for my dad and £1.50 for a kid on South!

For some reason a 2-0 lose to Wimbledon was not enough to warn me of the future misery that I would endure!!!

1983 I was six. Can’t remember the game but I always remember looking up at the floodlights on the kop thinking their falling over..

Those were the days when we used to get in to the matches through mi fathers legs in the turnstiles 

Edited by foxowl

6 hours ago, Flat Owl said:

I thought they were all retired ladies in their late 60's in those days Hoots?

You know - folk who knew their times tables...

One probably brought their granddaughter, my mate was very keen but she wouldn’t wear him, didn’t stop him trying though

• Haha 1

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

December '94, my Palace-supporting uncle drove my dad and my 15-year-old self up from London. My uncle had always been good friends with several Palace players and had managed to get two complimentary tickets for my dad and I through John Pemberton (who was now playing for Leeds but was going to the game because Leeds weren't playing that day). My uncle sat with the Palace fans and my dad and I sat with Pemberton and his now-Leeds team-mate Carlton Palmer in the South Stand. We won 1-0 with a first-half Bart-Williams goal. It wasn't a great game, but it had the entertaining moment of Chris Waddle returning from injury and coming on as sub, only to realise he'd forgotten to put all of his kit on.