Do you remember your first time at Hillsborough?

1 hour ago, Harrysgame said:

As I got older, started going with my mates, South stand uncovered near lepp. One regret I have is that once I started going with my mates. My, dad started to miss home games and then stopped altogether.  

Only now as I look back realise he went as it was our father and son time, I take my lad now and assume at some point he will dump me. It sure won't feel the same going then.

My daughter stopped going around 2005, I was ready to throw the towel in too, I told my son I wouldn’t be buying season tickets anymore, and he cried his eyes out, I realised then that it wasn’t just about the game, there was much more at stake, giving up on Wednesday would probably mean losing my son.

13 or so years later, ma and my now 21 year old son still sit together.

• Like 4

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

1 minute ago, Harrysgame said:

As I got older, started going with my mates, South stand uncovered near lepp. One regret I have is that once I started going with my mates. My, dad started to miss home games and then stopped altogether.  

Only now as I look back realise he went as it was our father and son time, I take my lad now and assume at some point he will dump me. It sure won't feel the same going then.

Think we must have followed each other round the ground. I started on the Lepp (other side to you) in the 70s with my Dad.

Then moved to the south (covered though near Lepp) with my mate in about 82.

I then went back to going with Dad, 1st standing on the by then covered kop, then when they put the seats in moving to the North with both my Dad and my mates. 

Still sat with him until the day he was taken ill, (Leeds 2 all 97) passed away just weeks later, would still do anything for just 1 more match with the old fella.

• Like 3

Yes I remember vividly. It was 10th November 1962 and I was 13. I came from a non football family, and we had just moved from Woodseats out to Killamarsh into a Beer Off. I was trying to make new friends and one day one of them asked me if I fancied going to the football. I agreed and for some reason assumed it was to the Lane, probably because as a kiddywinkie we lived on Woodhead Road. Anyway, we went for the Booth & Fisher match day special and only then when I saw the blue and white scarves did I realise it was Wednesday. It was a cold, dank, murky November day and when we got there we parked up down the ABC streets...roughly where Hillsborough Leisure is now, and went in the Juvenile entrance where we were faced with the steep embankment behind the Kop. Instead of going up the path we clambered and slithered our way to the top and when I looked down into the stadium I was gob smacked. It was a dark day and the floodlights were on and all around the stands there was the twinkle of people sparking their fags up. Then the roar when the teams sprinted out sent goosebumps down my spine. The match?....can't remember anything about it but it was against Aston Villa and we drew 0-0 and I was hooked from that day on.

• Like 1

Sat 30 Aug  LIVERPOOL............... 1-1    18     33,600   Alan Warboys

1969-70 Relegation season is my first memory of sitting in North Stand,  thing I remember most is cushions being thrown on pitch near end of game, I think it was because we had a goal disallowed. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

My daughter stopped going around 2005, I was ready to throw the towel in too, I told my son I wouldn’t be buying season tickets anymore, and he cried his eyes out, I realised then that it wasn’t just about the game, there was much more at stake, giving up on Wednesday would probably mean losing my son.

13 or so years later, ma and my now 21 year old son still sit together.

Fantastic, yes not just about the football. It the time spent with loved ones.

23 minutes ago, OWL1969 said:

Think we must have followed each other round the ground. I started on the Lepp (other side to you) in the 70s with my Dad.

Then moved to the south (covered though near Lepp) with my mate in about 82.

I then went back to going with Dad, 1st standing on the by then covered kop, then when they put the seats in moving to the North with both my Dad and my mates. 

Still sat with him until the day he was taken ill, (Leeds 2 all 97) passed away just weeks later, would still do anything for just 1 more match with the old fella.

Sounds like it, kop  for me now as my lad likes it although I am yearning for the comfort of the South.

Agree would love to have another game to go to with my Dad, but too late. 

Sometimes think I was lucky starting to watch in the 70s as my expectations have been realistic and accept that most of the time we well not achieve much on the pitch and that's ok because it is not just about actual game it's everything else around the club, a way of life.

Edited by Harrysgame

Yes, 1978 at home to Carlisle. 0-0 draw. My nan took me and my brother in the south stand. She'd seen the Owls in the 1935 FA cup final and also the 66 final. She used to love reminiscing about the quality side in the 30's and I used to love listening to the stories. I've been hooked ever since. During our recent quality period in the 90's I was away from Sheffield in the RAF but I used to plan my leave methodically around the maximum number of home and away fixtures. I was based at RAF Lossiemouth during that superb period and colleagues thought I was utterly bonkers driving the 450 single trip to Sheffield on a regular basis. The Wembley trips were over 600 miles each way but the league cup and pigs semi was worth it. 

• Like 3

No I don't, just seems like I have always been going, must have been early sixties but cannot remember a time when I was not an Owl and going to matches (may be due to 40 odd years of alcohol abuse though)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

"nobody told me there would be days like these!"

52 minutes ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

My mate fancied the young lass selling pies, that’s the only reason we went on there

I thought they were all retired ladies in their late 60's in those days Hoots?

You know - folk who knew their times tables...

• Haha 1

1993 vs Aston Villa is the first one I remember, a 0-0 bore draw. https://www.11v11.com/matches/sheffield-wednesday-v-aston-villa-18-august-1993-21269/

Very much remember the Newcastle game from that season as well. Frustrating 0-0 until Andy Pearce absolutely destroyed Andy Cole and got a red. Giving Cole a load of gyp only for him to bang in the winner 30 seconds later. Nobber :tango: https://www.premierleague.com/match/792

Owls 5-4 Man Utd

I was 9 went with my older brother who was a Man Utd nut.

We travelled to Hillsborough from Our home town of Llandudno on the Man Utd supporters coach and presumably paid on the gate for kop tickets.

I went home and away with him that season and saw all the greats of the day tied wrist to wrist with his red and white scarf to stop.me wandering off.

Ironically as we got older he saw the light and has followed Wednesday all over the country with me ( not tied together although he's of an age now it might not be a bad idea)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

No...........i was too young, but i am told it was a goalless draw with Liverpool around the mid sixties.

Most of my early memories are of walking past "hot pies inside" and "The end is nigh" on the way in then seeing the pitch in all its splendour as we entered the south stand...................followed 90 mins later by a hail of boos and loads of cushions hurled on the pitch ha ha.