Do you remember your first time at Hillsborough?

8 hours ago, GY-owl.4 said:

serious question for the, errr older folk.

did Sheffield have the black London type taxi cabs in the mid 80s? cos for some reason all i remember is stepping out the train station and seeing loads of them outside, having never seen one in real life before... did i imagine that or?

Yes, black cabs then, still have them although painted all colours these days.

21 hours ago, Flat Owl said:

1970 - old uncovered seats on the South right beside the home dugout..

Had one of those wooden rattles painted blue and white off me Grandad that I couldn't lift let alone get to click.

Image result for wooden football rattle

Been trying my best ever since to forget it...

lol

what a ******* racket they made.

• Haha 1

Yup I remember...

3 minutes ago, steveger said:

Me moved to Maltby from the fattist republic of Scotland when I was 7, went to my first Wednesday game when i was a teen with my mates against Man Utd on the impressive uncovered Kop In November 1985 beat them 1.0 big Lee Chapman scoring nearly 49,000 at the game, got hooked....

Not so hooked now though if i am to be honest sadly...

I was about 4. Have a dim memory of going on North Stand with dad.  I think it was a friendly v a European club side.  Would have been 1969/70 time. 

After that stood on North stand / West stand corner with dad and his mate until old enough to go with my mates and stand on kop,  Early teens in late seventies.

• Like 1

4-4 v Man Utd when we were in the old second div. 

3-1 up at half time. 

Jom Holyon, their centre half broke his leg and I think Tommy Craig was our main man.

Don't know the year, maybe 73/74.

I think the result and the manner of it sums up being an owl.

Joy, drama, despair, loads to talk about after. Man Utd went up that season and my Dad said we got relegated.

• Like 1

1976/77 season, v Lincoln

1-1 draw

Pals at school were Owls, who got me interested, and I'd been wanting to go but my dad wasn't so keen at the time.

I was in cubs, and it just so happened that Len Ashurt's (our manager at the time) son was in our cub group (pack?) too - the cub leaders and Len Ashurt had had some kind of discussion,and before we knew it we'd wangled an invite to the match - think there was about 30 or 40 of us who got invited - pretty flukey looking back on it.  Thanks Len and son!! :-)

I was only about 9 at the time, and to be honest I can't remember too much about it - we were sat in the old south stand (covered bit), and the two things that I CAN remember are (1) how green and massive the pitch was, and (2) just how much moaning there was (some things never change, eh?)!! :-)

Was probably a rubbish game, but just can't remember it - it must have done the trick though as I've been Wednesday ever since.  My dad started to take me to a few the next season, as he could see how keen I was, and it took off from there....

• Like 1

First game..sat on south.. 1986 Everton 2-2 Hirst scored on his first game at Hillsbrough..first time kop with roof on.  All popping cherries..  The start of a new era.

Second 49,000 vs Coventry in the FA cup QF.  Don't think it will ever be as loud as when Megson scored.  lost 3-1

Always remember wearing a wednesday flat cap and some random guy saying..'oh well you can win them all'

Edited by HIGHERSTATE
  • Like 1

October 18th 1958 (had to look the date up) - Wednesday at home to Grimsby - I was 10 and didn’t have a dad around any longer and mum was too old to go to games so a neighbour took me - made a foolish statement before the game that I would support whoever won!! 

Luckily I didn’t have to make the trip to Blundell Park every week as the Wednesday won 6 - 0!! - and Grimsby had a centre half playing that day called Job who put through his own net twice for our first 2 goals - needless to say I became hooked from that day on and now I go with my lad and granddaughter all 3 of us season ticket holders - and even though I’m just about to enter my 70’s the thrill of setting foot into my beloved Hillsborough is still there just as it was 60 years ago - it never leaves you!

Can't remember very much about how, who, and exactly when, the Owls were playing, but I certainly remember the year - 1947 - and the place - the Old Stand! We went, my Dad and I, on the old Service 70, Sheffield-Upton bus from Hoyland.into POND Street, between the old Castle Market and the river. We then walked up to the 'Mucky Duck' at bottom of Snig Hill, between the Tennants and Duncan Gilmour breweries (what a pong) where we caught the tram (the old Sheffield Trams ) up to Middlewood Road, walked down Leppings Lane and into the ground. At that time you could get from either side and if you wanted, stand on the Lepp fo the first half then go round onto the Kop for the second half, or you could  do as we did, pay a bit extra and transfer into the Old Stand, where there was either covered terracing, or Seating at the back. I remember we sat there directly opposite the players' tunnel, so that I could see  them run down the tunnel, up the slope and onto the pitch. 

Not long after that, dad came home one Fiday night and handed me my most treasured memory - a Sheffield Wednesday Supporters Club badge - 'Ah think tha're old enough for thee own nar, Lad.'   I still proudly wear that to every home match . Funnily enough, that's the nearest I've lived to Hillsborough, having moved to Clowne (work),and later to Buxton. Usually, my daughter, who lives 20 mins away towards Congleton, will come and pick me and my wife up to the game. Unfortunately I can't get her to go. They'll visit Meadowhell or like and pick me up after game., but the first question is 'Well?' and that's not my health they are asking about.  

• Like 2