Do you remember your first time at Hillsborough?

I was 13. I was supposed to be going to watch Doncaster Rovers against Notts County but my dad came home from work and asked did I fancy Wednesday against Everton instead. I jumped at the chance because I'd supported them for a year or two but never got to see them. 

The match was a night match and it cost me £5 to sit on the uncovered seating. I remember the floodlights,  the smell of tobacco and the open kop being packed. As for the match, we lost 5-1. I was hooked though. I went straight to the club shop and bought photos of Brian Marwood,  Mel Sterland and Gary Shelton to put on my wall. I then started attending regularly, catching the train from Doncaster and the bus to Hillsborough. In 1990 I got my first season ticket and the rest, as they say, is history. Don't regret it for a second. Still have a soft spot for Rovers though, as my local team. Unless they play Wednesday of course. 

• Like 1

A 0-0 draw against stoke in 2002 I sat in the grandstand and as an 8 year old the ground looked huge from up there. My dad took me in the five arches before and when walking down Herries Road to the match I managed to pierce my ear on the thorn bushes my dad had to pull it out and I got blood all over my brand new shirt 

:Pelupessy:

10 hours ago, pgmetcalf said:

Vaguely, it was 1971 and I was just turned 5. Being a big lad pop took me to Hillsborough for the first time on the kop and we beat Sunderland 3-0. I was hooked. Can’t remember the details of the match though, I just knew we had won and that was good enough 

We lost 2-1 at home to Sunderland in 1971.

My first visit to Hillsborough, was back in the 88-89 season v Charlton Athletic - if memory serves me right, we won the game 3-1.

I hadn't been living in Sheffield long and lived in Meersbrook at the time, I'd taken a few Blades games in as with the club being relatively local, felt it was worth a look. 

Just never got the feeling it was a club I could fall in love with and tagged on with a few lads from school to watch Wednesday, completely different feeling to walking onto the South Stand and seeing the view of the ground from there blew me away. This was before the South Stand had been redeveloped (old wooden seats) and it was only £3 to sit............imagine that now!

I was literally hooked from day one, Hillsborough felt like home and had a great bunch of mates to share some of the best memories I've had watching us over the next few years. 

Vaguely remember being quite young - Cantilever stand about mid field - we were playing Arsenal so around 1966/7?

We used to go and watch the team practice at Thorncliffe (High Green) - again that would have been around 67/68 - Jerry Young always chatted after practice with my mum and dad and he used to get autographs for us... (nice guy was Jerry)...

1 hour ago, alleycat said:

Mine was Shrewsbury in 1976. We lost 1-0

Me dad used to sell tickets for the Development fund and used to get a couple of tickets for doing it.

For some reason we stood on the Lep. Must have been where the tickets were for I presume.

My dad was a development fund agent as well and you got tickets based on the number of ‘ books’ you ran.

i thought they were free tickets for any standing area but funnily enough we stood on the Lepp too so maybe you’re right.

22 minutes ago, Ibbo48 said:

My dad was a development fund agent as well and you got tickets based on the number of ‘ books’ you ran.

i thought they were free tickets for any standing area but funnily enough we stood on the Lepp too so maybe you’re right.

Also remember he got quite a few “Wednesday” watches for doing the Development fund thing.

Seem to remember they were either silver or gold (or maybe a mixture). He gave them away.

Edited by alleycat

1 minute ago, alleycat said:

Also remember he got quite a few “Wednesday” watches for doing the Development front thing.

Seem to remember they were either silver or gold (or maybe a mixture). He gave them away.

I think, looking at the date of your first match, that they would probably have been running the development fund differently to when my dad did it. The free tickets and preference for Cup tickets are the only things I remember him getting.

He’d been doing it from its inception until he died in 1969

The first time i went it was on the train from Grimsby. 1987, about 8 of us all between 13 and 15 years old (crikey)

anyway we was meant to be going to man utd v stoke. 

Train was waiting at Sheffield station for some reason and while sat there one of the lads (owls fan) said Wednesday have got Liverpool today hes getting off here who wants to come. i was the only other one.  like i said earlier, 2-2. got in the kop dead early, was running up and down it, the sheer size of that stand when empty. just massive init!

man u beat stoke 3-2 or 4-2 i cant quite remember.

the lad who i went to the game with was CRAZY about the Owls. went to loads of games with him. Kaiserslauten at home in the south for some reason! mind, even the south stand sung that night! anyway, he was 6'2'' at about 14. best schoolboy centre back ive ever seen. when we was about 12 he used to take the goalkicks and launch them into their half! he died at 21 while driving slowly along the sea front in his car. heart abnormalities. whether that was due to his sheer size growing up i dont know. i had about 5 season review tapes of his on VHS when he died. i took them to his mums house but she said i should keep them and asked me if i would wear one of his owls shirts to games, still got it, waaay too big like. 

• Like 2

My first game was either in 1973 or 1974.  Don't remember anything about who we were playing or what the score was, the only thing I remember was sitting on the front row of the South Stand and being so excited at watching Willie Henderson close up playing on the wing for us!!

The first game I actually remember details from was the final game of the 1975-76 season when we beat Southend 2-1 to avoid relegation to the 4th Division.  I was on the Kop that day and for me that was probably the biggest crowd I had seen at Hillsborough up to that point.  It was the following season I started to go regularly and when the 77-78 season came around I bought my first season ticket.  Held a season ticket from then until 2001 when I moved to the States. 

serious question for the, errr older folk.

did Sheffield have the black London type taxi cabs in the mid 80s? cos for some reason all i remember is stepping out the train station and seeing loads of them outside, having never seen one in real life before... did i imagine that or?

I remember my kids first game, daughter was 7 or 8, son 4 or 5. I think it was the first home match of the season, we lost 2-0 to Burnley, possibly year 2000 or 2001.  

Their first away game was a 2-1 loss to Forest

First time they saw Wednesday win away was 2-0 at Yeovil

Edited by HOOTIE AND THE SHIT TU

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.