Do you remember your first time at Hillsborough?

Yep - walking up the steps in the West Stand and just standing at the top taking in the view and listening to the sounds. The game was underway (we'd already missed the first goal), Wednesday in the famous Bukta kit, Oldham in all orange. Where was my hero Terry Curran? There he was, actually in the flesh. Don't recall much about the actual game but remember everybody jumping up when Andy Mac bagged the first ever goal in my presence, and we went on to win 3-0. Hooked - barely missed a game since then.

• Like 2

No, I don’t remember it, I’m told I was 4 years old

My earliest memory was the old wooden seats on the Cantilever stand, I don’t think the stand opened til 65 or 66

I know my father and my uncle used to take me quite often, my uncle watched Wednesday one week, and the Pigs the next, he eventually ditched us in favour of the Pigs

• Like 1

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

No, would have been about 2. (71/72)

Dad always took me on Leppings Lane walked through the end tunnel and stood near to North Stand.

Unfortunately my early memories were more of eating imperial mints he bought from the local shop and asking how long till half time or till I can go home than the game.

Glad he got me hooked and lucky all my mates were Wednesdayites too.

1973 against Blackpool ended 0 0. Dad took me used to stand on the lower leppings lane terrace, North stand side (not sure why) seem to have spent most games just running around the empty terraces  was only 4. For big games ie Southend in 76 (stayed up) went in South as a treat. Some say worst times watching Owls in 70s but as a 4 year old had nothing else to compare it with and had a great stadium. Remember the old refreshment bar at the lepp, seemed to be so high couldn't see over it, just a fug of smoke, bovrill and pies.

First few times i don't remember any of the football.

I just remember the smell of cigarettes, everyone being angry one minute and laughing and joking the next.

I was hooked on the atmosphere before the football even kicked in.

Plus i always got a Kit Kat which was a huge bonus!!!

I always used to love it as well when they used to tell you the score of other games with that bloke putting numbers next to letters on the bottom of the North!

Edited by torres

Back in the early 70s of course there weren’t as many distractions for kids as there are today. Virtually every young man had a football though and everyone would bring theirs for a game of togger and we’d choose the best one

Edited by pgmetcalf

4 minutes ago, OWL1969 said:

No, would have been about 2. (71/72)

Dad always took me on Leppings Lane walked through the end tunnel and stood near to North Stand.

Unfortunately my early memories were more of eating imperial mints he bought from the local shop and asking how long till half time or till I can go home than the game.

Glad he got me hooked and lucky all my mates were Wednesdayites too.

Wasn't just me then who went on lepp. Bag of sweets from shop by the ground, think there was a barbers with a broken click sign. Just ran around or trying to swing in the barriers, how much football I watched not sure, but glad my dad took me and got the habit.

His brother was a blade and so would take me to the lane on occasion  lucky I never succumbed to the Div 1 football they were playing then.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Harrysgame said:

Wasn't just me then who went on lepp. Bag of sweets from shop by the ground, think there was a barbers with a broken click sign. Just ran around or trying to swing in the barriers, how much football I watched not sure, but glad my dad took me and got the habit.

His brother was a blade and so would take me to the lane on occasion  lucky I never succumbed to the Div 1 football they were playing then.

Sweets were an essential part of a matchday experience back then. Even before I started going I can remember rummaging in my dad’s coat pockets after he’d come home from a game knowing there’d be some left. Unfortunately it was usually Halls Mentholyptus that he seemed to buy but never eat. Well they’ve never been a ‘sweet’ have they?

He used to park somewhere up Rockley Rd and there was a sweet shop on Middlewood Rd if you turned right at the bottom.

He was obviously a regular as he was on first names with the owner. 

‘ Your usual, Horace? ‘ ( yes that really was his name)

’ Quarter of Halls Menthol ? ‘

’ Yes, and some Liquorice Comfits and Creamline Toffees for me to eat at the match’

1970 - old uncovered seats on the South right beside the home dugout..

Had one of those wooden rattles painted blue and white off me Grandad that I couldn't lift let alone get to click.

Image result for wooden football rattle

Been trying my best ever since to forget it...

lol

Edited by Flat Owl
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

A friend of my dads took me to see Wednesday v Norwich (as my dad had zero interest in football), we sat in the Cantilever. All i remember of the game was us winning (2-1).

My main memory strangely was the meat pie and bovril he bought me. I thought it was amazing

48 years later, so much has changed in the game (and not always for the better), but a pie and bovril, still does it for me on a cold day.

UTO WTID

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Harrysgame said:

Me and my mate Pete we’re regulars on the Leppings in the late 70’s

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

11 minutes ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

Me and my mate Pete we’re regulars on the Leppings in the late 70’s

As I got older, started going with my mates, South stand uncovered near lepp. One regret I have is that once I started going with my mates. My, dad started to miss home games and then stopped altogether.  

Only now as I look back realise he went as it was our father and son time, I take my lad now and assume at some point he will dump me. It sure won't feel the same going then.

• Like 5