Happy 80th Milan Mandarić.

No nonsense & saved us from the brink !

Born #Onthis day in 1938 - he did what he said he would and managed walked away with a few bob!  I looked up the definition of "canny" - could have been written for him :-

"canny (adj) intelligent and cautious; having good judgment.

A person is canny if they are very intelligent and careful in judging situations and persons. A very shrewd businessperson who has a sense of proper timing and avoids risks is a canny businessman. Canny persons are also clever at politics in that they know when to do what to do, and whether a risk is worth taking or not."

He seems to be doing well with his new club!

NK Olimpija Ljubljana

On 15 June 2015 Milan Mandarić agreed to purchase NK Olimpija Ljubljana from Izet Rastorder for about 4 million euros. He was very successful in his first 2015/2016 season and managed to win the league title with Olimpija, finishing 6 points ahead of fierce rivals NK Maribor. In his third 2017/2018 season Olimpija won the double, both the championship and the cup

maxresdefault.thumb.jpeg.92dfcafe34d2b9d2922446f50a51a24a.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I find it amazing that a man his age still has the energy and nerve to be buying football clubs. He came along at the right time for a club without a shadow of a doubt and although he didn’t splash the cash like DC, I actually felt more comfortable with his style of ownership.  Happy birthday MM.

• Like 2

I'm just glad the 'due dilligence' didn't reveal everything. He once said that if he had looked a lot closer at our financial infrastructure, he wouldn't have purchased us.

The 5 million a year just to maintain the ground was eye opening at the time but sounds quite small fry now doesn't it, compared to our spending over the last 3 seasons.

Without doubt he came along and saved us in many ways and although he didn't make big cash available for major transfers, he made us a saleable asset again where before we were a poisoned chalice.

For that alone he will always have my undying respect and admiration.

Xbana Milan x

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, East Yorks Owl said:

I find it amazing that a man his age still has the energy and nerve to be buying football clubs. He came along at the right time for a club without a shadow of a doubt and although he didn’t splash the cash like DC, I actually felt more comfortable with his style of ownership.  Happy birthday MM.

That's what you can do when your an owner with the calibre of Milan. The man could run a football club in his sleep. 

Yes everything that chansiri isn't. If absolutely love the man to be back here .

But to be honest. With the way chansiri is running this club, we might need him again

Edited by poite

I have huge respect for this man, he did what was necessary at the right time and we both came off better for it. Not many chairmen can say that in the modern game. We should club together and buy him a present, one of those new waterproof iphone things.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

He had a bit of a controversial reputation and before he took us over he wasn’t someone I would have been remotely happy with as an owner. But when you’re 10 minutes away from going out of business you can’t be too picky. As it turned out he was a good owner and I think we were lucky to have him. OK, he didn’t exactly splash the cash, but the bills got paid and he was never less than candid about the fact it was an investment opportunity for him and that he would look to sell the club once he’d stabilised it. Ultimately, he left us in a far better position than when he took over and I can’t really ask for more than that. What I’ll be forever grateful for is the fact that he didn’t screw us over. He didn’t asset strip us, break the club up and sell it to mysterious offshore trusts, lease the ground back to us at extortionate rates or indulge in any other form of financial chicanery. And when he did eventually  sell us he made sure it was to a buyer who had our best interests at heart. So thank you Milan, as far as I’m concerned you are a friend to SWFC and always welcome back at Hillsborough. And Happy 80th Birthday.

• Like 1

Roy of the Roasters puts it's perfectly. Without MM a famous name in football would, by now, probably be needing another four or five promotions to get back into the Football League. I'm sure 10,000(probably more) Wednesday fans would have re-formed the club but they were desperate days before Milan decided to help us out. For long standing supporters Wednesday's post war history has been, apart from the early 60's & 90's, one "darn thing after another"! Perhaps it's our turn for a prolonged period of good luck!

• Like 2

Still think he needs his own lounge bar at the ground.

Complete with a glassed covered aquarium floor where that sacred relic his under water mobile phone from which he saved us and did his business is proudly displayed bubbling away.

aquarium-dancefloor.jpg.5355b40eb4f69bb0157f9e5b52d0238a.jpg

Happy birthday Milan old cork.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, steelcityowlsfan said:

Should never be underestimated how important he was in saving us. Eternally grateful to him.

Will miss him and his underwater telephone. Xbana Milan.

agreed. without him we simply would have gone. forever grateful milan, enjoy your day.

• Like 2

Happy birthday Milan, an absolute colossus in our club’s modern history. So pleased your more recent footballing endeavours are enjoying so much success.

On a related note I often think how much better the current regime would have performed if Milan’s right hand man Paul Aldridge had been retained to run the club. Given the level of investment available I have little doubt promotion would have been achieved.

Not only is Milan brilliant himself , he knows a proper “advisor” when he sees  one.

Edited by Magic Rat
  • Like 1