Sign in to follow this  
Richard Madeley

£45million for Andy Sinton? How much these Sheffield Wednesday signings would cost in today’s money

We paid more for Kovacevic and De Bilde than we did for Forestieri. Over 20 years ago.

And people kick off about £5m for Reach

:duntmatter:

• Haha 2

We premier league team challenging for trophies though now we’re a 1st division team wanting to finish 6th 

but i get your points some mad prices there if we look at them in todays  market 

6 hours ago, Minton said:

We paid more for Kovacevic and De Bilde than we did for Forestieri. Over 20 years ago.

And people kick off about £5m for Reach

:duntmatter:

To be fair wasn't both of them full internationals.

Only about half of those were a success. That's the truth of high value transfers for all clubs. Our recent hit rate on transfers is about normal. People should remember that.

12 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I'm gonna change it's name to something like 'Granny Vera'

Nobody would ever neg a granny

Name could be far worse for being negged, Ryanair for one. :tango:

8 hours ago, Star News Feed said:

He was a then-club record purchase when Sheffield Wednesday splashed the cash in 1993… but Andy Sinton would cost a remarkable £45MILLION in today’s money.

View the full article..

It’s a load of balls 

I recall the Sinton deal - where we beat off Souness at Liverpool - as Francis wanted a left winger and tiny Andy was brilliant on QPR's tight pitch.

Got to Hillsborough, and he was knackered before reaching halfway line, especially on our slope from Kop end.

We were lucky to get shut for similar money paid.

1 minute ago, fred mciver said:

I recall the Sinton deal - where we beat off Souness at Liverpool - as Francis wanted a left winger and tiny Andy was brilliant on QPR's tight pitch.

Got to Hillsborough, and he was knackered before reaching halfway line, especially on our slope from Kop end.

Over the years when this guy's name popped up on here  I always grimace because I genuinely think it was a shocking mistake and waste of money and that's where the rot set in 

• Like 1

Have it missed it or fo Di Canio and Carbone not feature in that list?

3 minutes ago, steelowl said:

Over the years when this guy's name popped up on here  I always grimace because I genuinely think it was a shocking mistake and waste of money and that's where the rot set in 

Think you maybe right mate as we haven't had scouting or academy infrastructure or to progress much.

Struggling to think of last player we sold for a big, big profit.

The memory fades but at the time when we bought Sinton for 2.7m I think we could have bought a controlling interest in Sheffield United for £3.5m and asset stripped them. 

Now that would have been interesting lol

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, steelowl said:

When you think about the number of internationals we had at that time :ph34r:

1 hour ago, pazowl55 said:

To be fair wasn't both of them full internationals.

And Kovacevic was a billion times better than forestieri could ever hope to be , just Like many others , it didn’t work out formhi, here 

Did we pay a fee for Beswetherick? If we did can I ask that nobody does the calculation...lt will upset me for the rest of the day.:carlos:

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, fred mciver said:

I thought it was Arsenal we beat to his signature?

At least that was what was all over the newpapers picturing Sinton holding 2 guns i.e a swipe at the Gunners.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, steelcityowlsfan said:

I thought it was Arsenal we beat to his signature?

At least that was what was all over the newpapers picturing Sinton holding 2 guns i.e a swipe at the Gunners.

Yes, it was definitely 100% Arsenal.

I wish they'd beaten us to his signature, we could have bought Trevor Sinclair instead for a fraction of the fee, like QPR did to replace him...

They have missed two big Owls stars- Peter Feeley and Colin West -today worth a massive Zero