Sheffield Wednesday: Reach’s verdict on Forestieri’s fight for an Owls starting role

Entire article could've been reduced to the final sentence, basically.

"The manager wants players to work hard and give 100 per cent," Reach said. "Maybe Fernando did not do that and that was why he was put on the bench - to show a reaction."

It's very clearly this, IMO.

I've long suspected that, for all his quiet man persona, Jos has nads like absolute spacehoppers. Fan favourites, occasionally dazzling playmakers etc mean little to him if he judges anyone to be giving less than their all for the whole team, regardless of how energetic their individual performances may be.

Nando is actually very hardworking for the style of forward he is, we all see it. But, when not getting the rub of the green, he becomes a far more selfish player (usually because he's desperate to turn around a 'bad game', by his own high standards, by making a headline or two). I've seen that time and again with him - his heart's absolutely in the right place in terms of caring passionately about the team getting results, but after 75+ minutes of a full appearance, he'll start missing all kinds of opportunities to play someone else in if he doesn't feel he's likely to feature much in the match report yet.

I believe Jos also sees this, and seems to be limiting him to the impact sub role if he's determined to be the impact player at all costs. I reckon he's trying to emphasise to all playing staff that a steady role in a 90-minute team victory is priority one, and when FF shows he understands that to the manager's satisfaction, he'll be back in the starting XI no problem.

• Like 4

Hmmm...........the last three results justify JL,s selections but i hope he doesn`t overdo this tactic as it could eventually backfire if he does.

Athde played like a drain against Ipswich , and if we are being honest , also didnt put in his usual effort , but kept his shirt for Reading. (before the lynch mob starts go back and check the player ratings).

100% effort is a pre requisite at the moment with JL and i applaud him for it....................but once that happens (and lets be honest FF very rarely lacks effort) there also comes a point where QUALITY of performance has to be a factor as well.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, sheriwozgod said:

Hmmm...........the last three results justify JL,s selections but i hope he doesn`t overdo this tactic as it could eventually backfire if he does.

Athde played like a drain against Ipswich , and if we are being honest , also didnt put in his usual effort , but kept his shirt for Reading. (before the lynch mob starts go back and check the player ratings).

100% effort is a pre requisite at the moment with JL and i applaud him for it....................but once that happens (and lets be honest FF very rarely lacks effort) there also comes a point where QUALITY of performance has to be a factor as well.

Upto the Ipswich game Atdhe had scored 10 in his last 9 starts.

Jos’s loyalty to a player who has been a colossus for him was completely understandable, and vindicated by a fine away performance.

1 hour ago, Holmowl said:

Jos’s loyalty to a player who has been a colossus for him was completely understandable, and vindicated by a fine away performance.

That is the point i am making , he has stood by Atdhe despite an idiotic sending off and ban v Wigan (just imagine the meltdown if FF had done that) , and him playing really badly against Ipswich and Brentford , where it has to be said he was much worse than FF who was then dropped.

Jos has stated that ALL players are treated the same , if that is the case why was FF dropped after one poor game yet he is "loyal" to Athde who,s form has been awful up till last Saturday ?.................while ever results go our way this will be overlooked but it smacks to me of some players having to prove themselves more than others , the starting line ups over the next few games will tell us more i guess.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, sheriwozgod said:

That is the point i am making , he has stood by Atdhe despite an idiotic sending off and ban v Wigan (just imagine the meltdown if FF had done that) , and him playing really badly against Ipswich and Brentford , where it has to be said he was much worse than FF who was then dropped.

Jos has stated that ALL players are treated the same , if that is the case why was FF dropped after one poor game yet he is "loyal" to Athde who,s form has been awful up till last Saturday ?.................while ever results go our way this will be overlooked but it smacks to me of some players having to prove themselves more than others , the starting line ups over the next few games will tell us more i guess.

Different players playing in different positions bud. 

Matias has been playing well, so easy f to bring him in for Nando. 

Fletcher isn't fully fit yet and can't play too often due to injury concerns. 

Winnall can't play yet. 

Hooper is still out. 

Joao has the physique and athleticism to do the role, but don't think he's got the mentality or concentration to do it... Maybe hopefully in the future he can fulfil that role with experience as I'd like to see Mm - Joao - Nando up top. 

2 hours ago, Holmowl said:

Loyalty?

Wasn't the crux of JOS's statement (a couple of weeks back), that factors such as this wouldn't influence his team selection.

16 hours ago, Richard Madeley said:

Out-of-favour Fernando Forestieri is being tipped to win back his Sheffield Wednesday first-team place by teammate Adam Reach.

View the full article..

I really want FF to start, but I'll be interested to see if the team get results, without him for the upcoming games.

I can see a situation where FF is brought back at some point during this run:

Stoke

Forest

Villa,

Leeds

WBA

and the resident Nuhiu/Anti FF fanatics on here, foolishly compare these results with, those against:

Millwall

Ipswich

Reading

3 hours ago, sheriwozgod said:

Not to the detriment of the team.

It's about team effort and dynamic, not individual is the thing i think Jos is trying to impress...

Jos may have nads like space hoppers but he has his favourites - Joey Prettyboy being #1. 

All players are susceptible to managers not fancying them (ahem) and FF is clearly in that bracket for JL.

My prediction is FF will be here longer than Jos. If not, we will be doing very well and demonstrating conclusively that we don’t need him. 

12 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

I don't think you have to be anti-one to  appreciate the other

You're right, however I think there are a few regular posters on here, who seem to be Anti-Anything that may interfere with Nuhius, playing time.

They were jumping for Joy when the alleged Bambi on Ice, went to Blackburn. Most on here could see the value of Joao.

I remember when ever a thread popped up praising Joao, it would be flooded by the Owlstalk Nuhiu fanatics.

4 minutes ago, Rogerwyldesmullet said:

Jos may have nads like space hoppers but he has his favourites - Joey Prettyboy being #1. 

All players are susceptible to managers not fancying them (ahem) and FF is clearly in that bracket for JL.

My prediction is FF will be here longer than Jos. If not, we will be doing very well and demonstrating conclusively that we don’t need him. 

I wouldn’t say he has his favourites at all. He plays joey as there is no other option. Hutchinson has been dreadful whenever he has played. Maybe the new lad can play that role I don’t know ... 

all I know it with a squad full of youngsters and past it crocks we are grinding out better results than we have for a year and a half . That will do for me 

3 minutes ago, zzmdu said:

You're right, however I think there are a few regular posters on here, who seem to be Anti-Anything that may interfere with Nuhius, playing time.

They were jumping for Joy when the alleged Bambi on Ice, went to Blackburn. Most on here could see the value of Joao.

I remember when ever a thread popped up praising Joao, it would be flooded by the Owlstalk Nuhiu fanatics.

Yin and yang isn't it. For every thread slating any of our forwards Nuhiu has always had double. 

In that sense I think the people desperate to dig him out at every opportunity and blame him for any of our short comings  actually created  counter movement. 

Personally I get behind all our players and think they have a part to play. If everyone appreciated that all our forwards offer something different with their differing skill sets and attributes I don't think there would be any of the title for tat stuff we see. 

But that's football forums I suppose.

10 minutes ago, zzmdu said:

People in 'having opposing views' shocker

Owlstalk Shop

3 minutes ago, james o connor said:

I wouldn’t say he has his favourites at all. He plays joey as there is no other option. Hutchinson has been dreadful whenever he has played. Maybe the new lad can play that role I don’t know ... 

all I know it with a squad full of youngsters and past it crocks we are grinding out better results than we have for a year and a half . That will do for me 

TBF you have a point re Hutch - agreed. I think that Onomah can play that role and might be a bit quicker than Joey at recycling the ball. Jones reads things well but isn’t physical enough now.

onwards and upwards hopefully.