Away Days 1993 - 2002

10 hours ago, Belfast Owl 2 said:

A bunch of sad old men boasting about thuggish and pathetic behaviour.

Half of which never happened.

Its a pity the police didnt knock manners into them

Yep, it is pathetic behavior, a bit like the pathetic behavior when people fight over whose make-believe sky daddy is the right one.  I guess half of that never happened either.

Edited by Watson

Most of it happened, although some stories were embellished to some degree. It was difficult to avoid, used to go with mates usually around 15 of us, train to wherever we were playing have a few drinks and more often than not some locals would take an interest in you. Yes not clever but not going to run away or apologise to some one for being in their town, just does not work that way. No boasting just how it was.

On 04/09/2018 at 16:51, OWL1969 said:

That was a top day out.

Bizarrely a relegation party but nearly all the 4.5k there that day were up for a good day out.

One of my favourite awaydays despite the circumstances.

I was in the home end:duntmatter:

30 minutes ago, Belfast Owl 2 said:

Are you hinting I support mindless sectarian violence?

Its not the first time you've done it

No not at all, more that you have probably witnessed sectarian violence and maybe even at first hand.  Would you say that only half of that happened as well? 

During the 70', 80's I witnessed plenty of violence some of it very ugly. 

It did happen, nowadays it happens more spontaneously, back then it was more organised and fans went to cause trouble.  Its so much better today no longer you do go to away games with trepidation.

Going back to the events at Chester - it was December 1979 me and a mate were 12 years old and went to the game early and were sat at the back of the Sealand end which was the home end . About  2-30 we heard a loud chorus of THE WEDNESDAY to our left and what seemed like thousands of Wednesday fans coming rushing in - we just sat there watching as all the Chester fans ran for their lives and Wednesday took over the end - we stayed with them and enjoyed the atmosphere - I've followed the owls ever since - by the way the match finished 2-2.