Away Days 1993 - 2002

5 hours ago, Maddogbob said:

The Stockport one and the Norwich one. I think both were last away games of the season.

Both utter utter carnage. From a drinking point of view. I remember the Norwich game being in the pub, with people trying to take boats off the wall.

I'll be honest I'm pretty sure the Stockport game was the drunkest. I've EVER! been at a game of football.

We all sorted of turned up at 10.30, took over the place. I seem to remember,  alot of fancy dress, somebody dressed as bin Ladin dancing around Infront of police.

God knows what the locals thought.

Always seemed good natured.

Stockport lives on! Some shoddy behaviour all round. I seem to remember getting particularly familiar with a local that day. I was only 18 at the time...

Can't remember when it was must have been round about that time but the weekend away pre season friendly at Celtic was one of the best away day/weekend I can remember, also WBA away when we were losing 1-nil with about 5 mins left NP and TF I think got the goals, great day.

Just now, mrgund said:

You still can't drink alcohol on coaches or a mini bus going to a game can you?

Officially no.

Unofficially, get em supped then get rid of your cans/bottles well before you get near the town you're playing at. (Not that I or anyone I know has done this).

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, everydays_wednesday said:

It was yes...think the smallest man on th pitch scored the winner with a header...david speedy !

Hirst and Shirtliff were the only scorers in the game he's talking about.

Atmosphere was strange we were trying to make noise (particularly in 2nd half) but with the open end the noise seemed to drift away behind us.

Atmosphere for 2nd leg, was something else.

Probably the best home atmosphere I can remember but certainly in the

Top 4 along with Kaiserslautern, Wycombe and Brighton playoff. ( Dad wouldn't take me 26/12/79 but  I imagine that beat all these) 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, OWL1969 said:

Hirst and Shirtliff were the only scorers in the game he's talking about.

Atmosphere was strange we were trying to make noise (particularly in 2nd half) but with the open end the noise seemed to drift away behind us.

Atmosphere for 2nd leg, was something else.

Probably the best home atmosphere I can remember but certainly in the

Top 4 along with Kaiserslautern, Wycombe and Brighton playoff. ( Dad wouldn't take me 26/12/79 but  I imagine that beat all these) 

It was always the same at Chelsea we could never create any kind of atmosphere on that open end no matter how many thousand we took. Once went on the shed end and that was totally different however not a safe place to watch the game from if your'e an away fan.

Guest The Claw

Allegedly:

Colchester - the large white owl painted in the middle of the pitch larger than the centre circle, it was painted over in green for match of the day. You could still see it though

Tranmere - on home end chasing em out of the ground and up flood light stanchion  

Crew - chucking lighted paper and scarfs under the away end cos it was made of wood?

Oldham - WOW absolutely mental, ripping hot dog stalls to pieces and running the full length of the side terrace to throw it in to their kop

Chesterfield - hand to hand on kop

Bumhole stain - hand to hand on kop

Northampton - hand to hand on kop

Villa - night cup match, they were throwing everything including the kitchen sink down the embankment - one mass charge and you never saw such an empty space filled with dust  

Seen some stuff sounds daft but tribal is defiantly the definition, EBRA to OCS plus the splinter peripherals, it was mad!

A good day out with a drink, a win and a safe journey is more an inclination as most of these guys must be 60ish now (I don't know any of em :ph34r:)

7 hours ago, The Claw said:

Allegedly:

Colchester - the large white owl painted in the middle of the pitch larger than the centre circle, it was painted over in green for match of the day. You could still see it though

Tranmere - on home end chasing em out of the ground and up flood light stanchion  

Crew - chucking lighted paper and scarfs under the away end cos it was made of wood?

Oldham - WOW absolutely mental, ripping hot dog stalls to pieces and running the full length of the side terrace to throw it in to their kop

Villa - night cup match, they were throwing everything including the kitchen sink down the embankment - one mass charge and you never saw such an empty space filled with dust  

Seen some stuff sounds daft but tribal is defiantly the definition, EBRA to OCS plus the splinter peripherals, it was mad!

A good day out with a drink, a win and a safe journey is more an inclination as most of these guys must be 60ish now (I don't know any of em :ph34r:)

thought  Crewe above was chester

11 hours ago, The Claw said:

Allegedly:

A bunch of sad old men boasting about thuggish and pathetic behaviour.

Half of which never happened.

Its a pity the police didnt knock manners into them

15 minutes ago, Belfast Owl 2 said:

I'm planning on penning a book about the antics of the 70s & 80s. Just for purposes of accuracy can you tell me exactly which half did happen and which half didn't.  

Thanks in anticipation.

• Haha 2

Just now, OWL1969 said:

I'm planning on penning a book about the antics of the 70s & 80s. Just for purposes of accuracy can you tell me exactly which half did happen and which half didn't.  

Thanks in anticipation.

Good for you.

Just put in the usual boasts  and myths other books of the same genre have

42 minutes ago, Belfast Owl 2 said:

Good for you.

Just put in the usual boasts  and myths other books of the same genre have

So just out of interest have you read any of these said books?

Answer yes - that means you were interested enough to read what these "sad old men boasting about thuggish and pathetic behaviour" had to say.

Answer No - You have no idea whether what's stated in them is true.

Either way it's either hypocritical or assumptious. 

Though I'm no hooligan I admit I have read a few of them, I find them quite a good read. 

Yes I'm sure parts are let's say twisting the truth, authors licence. (you can read about one event with 2 totally different stories)

But you have to accept this and take it with pinch of salt. (They are taken from that  persons perspective so will never fall completely in line) 

Some people enjoy telling others about what it used to be like (in them days you had stick together and fightback or face a real kicking) some (like me) can vaguely remember em but like to hear about em.

Others have no recollection but still like to hear the old tales.

Others aren't interested, that's not a problem, but I don't understand how these people can tell us whats said is pathetic or  lies/myth if they have not read it.

If you've no interest don't read it simple really.

Edited by OWL1969

6 hours ago, OWL1969 said:

So just out of interest have you read any of these said books?

Answer yes - that means you were interested enough to read what these "sad old men boasting about thuggish and pathetic behaviour" had to say.

Answer No - You have no idea whether what's stated in them is true.

Either way it's either hypocritical or assumptious. 

Though I'm no hooligan I admit I have read a few of them, I find them quite a good read. 

Yes I'm sure parts are let's say twisting the truth, authors licence. (you can read about one event with 2 totally different stories)

But you have to accept this and take it with pinch of salt. (They are taken from that  persons perspective so will never fall completely in line) 

Some people enjoy telling others about what it used to be like (in them days you had stick together and fightback or face a real kicking) some (like me) can vaguely remember em but like to hear about em.

Others have no recollection but still like to hear the old tales.

Others aren't interested, that's not a problem, but I don't understand how these people can tell us whats said is pathetic or  lies/myth if they have not read it.

If you've no interest don't read it simple really.

I agree with you I’m no hooligan and not been involved in any trouble , I like to hear of fellow fans experiences and have read all the books , I think !! been to many away games over the years and I  missed out on travelling with a group of lads and the camaraderie . Anyway this thread is about awaydays not passing judgement on activities from the past . I could sit and listen to the “lads” accounts all day long .

On 04/09/2018 at 11:51, Rogers said:

Everything was joyous, light hearted, fun, and entertaining. Great days out from start to finish. 

90 - 94 (ish). The rest was just necessity and loyalty. (And some games in the 80s of course - e.g. win at Liverpool away)  

Games like Peterborough away in League 1; packed away end, James Quinn goal to win 1-0.  But a drab awful game of football. 

I think it was Shefki Kuqi who scored goal, his last goal before moving. 

In other games around that era Bullen scored in a 1-1 draw and in another we lost 5-3, Alan Irvine got sack next day. 

Edited by bradowl

Well as a stand aside witness to events in the 70's and 80's I can confirm certain things. The Aston Villa thing definetly happened. Was a league cup night game and all our fans came out the away end heading towards the Holte end past where most of our transport was parked. Villa fans attempted to ambush our fans at the side entrance of Holte end exit there was a scrap and then the Villa fans got chased back into the ground.

He's mistaking the Crewe game to the one at Chester where our fans set fire to the stand (a shed) by dropping lighted paper and such through the wooden floor. This end was officially the home end but our fans had kicked the Chester fans off it. No word of a lie the stand caught fire and 2 fire engines came and put the blaze out. They tried to do the same to the Preston kop which again was a big shed with a wooden floor. However the coppers got on top of this which is just as well as it could have been another Bradford and most of our fans were tresspassing on that end.

Again vaguely remember the Tranmere game (took thousands). Our fans took the whole ground and yes some Tranmere fans saw the only escape to be up a floodlight.

The scrapping he refers to happened most of the time at away games as a lot saw the objective of the day was to take the home clubs kop or end. Sometimes it happened sometimes it backfired like at Sunderland once.

8 hours ago, Belfast Owl 2 said:

He's got Crewe mixed up with Chester but things like that did go off at most games during 70s and 80s.

Games weren't policed like they are today, there was no cctv, if you escaped coppers feeling your collar after a ruck you was never going to get arrested at a future date. 

Very few games were made all ticket and no one bought tickets in advance as it was pay on gate at most games, the aim was to take the opponents Kop and at most games they'd be a mob of Wednesday fans on it. 

8 hours ago, Belfast Owl 2 said:

It’s not an urban myth, generally trouble at most away games back then, with groups of home and any fans looking for it.

It was certainly not unique to Wednesday fans, it was the way it was at football matches.

Not always down to so called hooligans either you needed the protection & to be part of the group for your own safety often.