Jump to content


Heeleyowl

Home of football

Recommended Posts

Whilst we are celebrating our 151st today this might be of interest to anybody who cares about how Wednesday got started.  It’s a free walking app which helps you explore the earliest days of Sheffield club football (and by logic world club football).  It’s interesting to see how Wednesday favoured Heeley for so many of our early years.  Pity we had to move.   It would save me having to drive past the Lane every home match.  22 years without United in the city - oh to be able to go back in time and sabotage that stupid idea  that we needed two clubs.

http://www.homeoffootball.net/

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


7 hours ago, Heeleyowl said:

Whilst we are celebrating our 151st today this might be of interest to anybody who cares about how Wednesday got started.  It’s a free walking app which helps you explore the earliest days of Sheffield club football (and by logic world club football).  It’s interesting to see how Wednesday favoured Heeley for so many of our early years.  Pity we had to move.   It would save me having to drive past the Lane every home match.  22 years without United in the city - oh to be able to go back in time and sabotage that stupid idea  that we needed two clubs.

http://www.homeoffootball.net/

 

talking about the home of football now on RS     we really should get in on this and promote the idea of recognising Sheffield before the blunts completely rewrite their own history 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, steelowl said:

 

talking about the home of football now on RS     we really should get in on this and promote the idea of recognising Sheffield before the blunts completely rewrite their own history 

But they already have, oldest Stadium, oldest United, oldest 1970's boardroom table!

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Utah Owl said:

But they already have, oldest Stadium, oldest United, oldest 1970's boardroom table!

 

well they are prob the oldest 3rd club of a city 

 

or maybe not that even 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Utah Owl said:

But they already have, oldest Stadium, oldest United, oldest 1970's boardroom table!

 

..and the first tranny chairman.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bramall Lane was a cricket ground, United were formed to give the place some rental income in the winter months, they have always been an afterthought. Wednesday on the other hand had their own ground built having played on various pitches in the Highfields area including of course Bramall Lane ….. had Wednesday chosen to play at Bramall Lane instead of building their own ground at Olive Grove, United would probably never been formed ….. just a thought !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, steelowl said:

 

well they are prob the oldest 3rd club of a city 

 

or maybe not that even 

 

They are 4th at best: Sheffield FC, Hallam FC and us are all older.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Ever the pessimist said:

 

It must be difficult for you .. what with sats and being charged with bringing up grammatical values...

Edited by Costello 77
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not quite sure what you mean by that - although it’s 2 days since I have had a holiday so I am maybe done in...

 

Don’t have SATs at secondary school by the way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Costello 77 said:

It must be difficult for you .. what with sats and being charged with bringing up grammatical values...

Correcting Watson all the time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It doesn’t show owlerton or anything about our current home .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Ever the pessimist said:

Not quite sure what you mean by that - although it’s 2 days since I have had a holiday so I am maybe done in...

 

Don’t have SATs at secondary school by the way.

Why have they done away with sats at secondary and not entirely?

Thin end of the wedge?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Costello 77 said:

Why have they done away with sats at secondary and not entirely?

Thin end of the wedge?

 

We have all on with GCSEs and A levels. SATs are not even taken seriously at primaries any more.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×