Home of football

Whilst we are celebrating our 151st today this might be of interest to anybody who cares about how Wednesday got started.  It’s a free walking app which helps you explore the earliest days of Sheffield club football (and by logic world club football).  It’s interesting to see how Wednesday favoured Heeley for so many of our early years.  Pity we had to move.   It would save me having to drive past the Lane every home match.  22 years without United in the city - oh to be able to go back in time and sabotage that stupid idea  that we needed two clubs.

http://www.homeoffootball.net/

7 hours ago, Heeleyowl said:

Whilst we are celebrating our 151st today this might be of interest to anybody who cares about how Wednesday got started.  It’s a free walking app which helps you explore the earliest days of Sheffield club football (and by logic world club football).  It’s interesting to see how Wednesday favoured Heeley for so many of our early years.  Pity we had to move.   It would save me having to drive past the Lane every home match.  22 years without United in the city - oh to be able to go back in time and sabotage that stupid idea  that we needed two clubs.

http://www.homeoffootball.net/

talking about the home of football now on RS     we really should get in on this and promote the idea of recognising Sheffield before the blunts completely rewrite their own history 

1 hour ago, steelowl said:

talking about the home of football now on RS     we really should get in on this and promote the idea of recognising Sheffield before the blunts completely rewrite their own history 

But they already have, oldest Stadium, oldest United, oldest 1970's boardroom table!

• Haha 2

Bramall Lane was a cricket ground, United were formed to give the place some rental income in the winter months, they have always been an afterthought. Wednesday on the other hand had their own ground built having played on various pitches in the Highfields area including of course Bramall Lane ….. had Wednesday chosen to play at Bramall Lane instead of building their own ground at Olive Grove, United would probably never been formed ….. just a thought !

Just now, Ever the pessimist said:

Not quite sure what you mean by that - although it’s 2 days since I have had a holiday so I am maybe done in...

Don’t have SATs at secondary school by the way.

Why have they done away with sats at secondary and not entirely?

Thin end of the wedge?