Jump to content
theowlsman

OFFICIAL January 2019 Transfer Rumours Thread

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, gurujuan said:

Thank goodness for EasyJet then, or travelling all around Europe every week, would work out very expensive

What Brentford does costs many millions they have to sell players each year to fund the enterprise. I would find it annoying to sell your best players each year when you could easily have a promotion winning team if not devastating it by selling off two or three players each year as a minimum. mepham did look good in some games but has actually gone through a rough patch when team not defending well at all. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Quist said:

What Brentford does costs many millions they have to sell players each year to fund the enterprise. I would find it annoying to sell your best players each year when you could easily have a promotion winning team if not devastating it by selling off two or three players each year as a minimum. mepham did look good in some games but has actually gone through a rough patch when team not defending well at all. 

 

The Brentford fan I know suggests that they’re selling players for more each year which allows them to gradually raise the standard of the squad and the investment they can put back into producing even better players to sell. So hopefully that and the new stadium will eventually put them in the premiership on a sustainable footing. I’d bet they get there before us and stay there longer.

  • Agree 4
  • Disagree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

They still have an academy up to 16 year olds and then the best ones proceeds to Brentford B, their u23s. Buts it's unofficial so they don't pay into the elite player development scheme, nor do they enter youth leagues or cups 

 

 

Brentford don't have an academy at all.  Just a B team

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Sonny said:

 

The Brentford fan I know suggests that they’re selling players for more each year which allows them to gradually raise the standard of the squad and the investment they can put back into producing even better players to sell. So hopefully that and the new stadium will eventually put them in the premiership on a sustainable footing. I’d bet they get there before us and stay there longer.

They have to get really lucky to get promoted. Selling key players off each year does nothing for stability and you need some core stability in a side. They sold wood and it fell apart this season, they reached play offs a couple of years ago and have not threatened since, I know a couple of Brentford fans and are not keen on losing best player each season. Mepham was promising but he is third or fourth centre back they have sold in last 3 seasons, having a solid centre of defence is key requirement for success in Championship. If owner is not lining his pocket the cost of scouting operation for them must be £15 million a year which is even more expensive than I thought it was. Surprisingly many of players they sell on do not do as well as expected and this will also impact future fees they receive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Quist said:

They have to get really lucky to get promoted. Selling key players off each year does nothing for stability and you need some core stability in a side. They sold wood and it fell apart this season, they reached play offs a couple of years ago and have not threatened since, I know a couple of Brentford fans and are not keen on losing best player each season. Mepham was promising but he is third or fourth centre back they have sold in last 3 seasons, having a solid centre of defence is key requirement for success in Championship. If owner is not lining his pocket the cost of scouting operation for them must be £15 million a year which is even more expensive than I thought it was. Surprisingly many of players they sell on do not do as well as expected and this will also impact future fees they receive.

 

I’d be delighted with the way things are going if I was a Brentford fan. In the championship with progressive owners and a new stadium being built. It will propel them forward. The club is so well ran that I wince when I tell him what’s going on at Wednesday.

  • Agree 5
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Doctor Duran said:

Doom say's we've ended our interest in Kebano

 

Doubt there was ever any chance of him signing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just over a week to hopefully see some outgoings and a couple of loan signings. Very quiet so far. Be very disappointing if we don’t see any action at all. 

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Doctor Duran said:

Doom say's we've ended our interest in Kebano

 

Guaranteed to sign then.

  • Disagree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Las Palmas want to terminate the loan of Hadi Sacko currently on loan from Leeds. A very pacey winger. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Doctor Duran said:

Doom say's we've ended our interest in Kebano

 

How convenient :rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

how big is that ball?? size 8

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, steelcityowlsfan said:

Las Palmas want to terminate the loan of Hadi Sacko currently on loan from Leeds. A very pacey winger. 

I'd have him here, he's a very useful player, especially if you're bringing him off the bench with half an hour to go to use his pace against a tiring defence. Definitely not in Bielsa's plans apparently so he should be available cheap.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, EcclesallOwl said:

 

Doubt there was ever any chance of him signing

The article says it was all agreed between the clubs but the player didn't want to come.

 

The encouraging bit I took from the article is the quote from Agnew showing that he recognises the need for a bit more pace in the side - if he's saying that then Bruce will surely be of the same opinion, so something might actually get done to address it before the end of the window.

Edited by Groundhopping Owl
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

Just over a week to hopefully see some outgoings and a couple of loan signings. Very quiet so far. Be very disappointing if we don’t see any action at all. 

 

Agree but to be fair, as others have said, we're probably just in the loan and free agent market. Some loan deals happen nearer the close of the window. We definitely need an injection of some pace and physicality. That said, a few players have come back into the fold since Jos left and been like new players. I'm intrigued to see how the squad perform once Bruce is in charge and interested to see his stamp onto the team and eventually to see his own team. The main rebuild will begin in the summer but we could do with a couple of decent loanees to freshen things up and give us something different.

Edited by Mr. Wednesday

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Groundhopping Owl said:

The article says it was all agreed between the clubs but the player didn't want to come.

 

The encouraging bit I took from the article is the quote from Agnew showing that he recognises the need for a bit more pace in the side - if he's saying that then Bruce will surely be of the same opinion, so something might actually get done to address it before the end of the window.

Yep because Steve Bruce is working hard to get signing done in January. Not sure what team this guy plays for and has there been a change in the Owls kit to include gloves, a helmet and a bat. :duntmatter:

 

Bruce speaks with Moeen Ali (L) after England's final training session before West Indies Test

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sonny said:

 

I’d be delighted with the way things are going if I was a Brentford fan. In the championship with progressive owners and a new stadium being built. It will propel them forward. The club is so well ran that I wince when I tell him what’s going on at Wednesday.

How many places above us in league are they currently? Just sold highest rated player. I personally would not be happy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Quist said:

How many places above us in league are they currently? Just sold highest rated player. I personally would not be happy.

 

Not sure, but I know they’re not begging the fans for cash in order to avoid a transfer embargo. I am personally not happy with that now.

 

And that’s ignoring the different expectations you’d likely have if you were a Brentford fan.

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...