OFFICIAL January 2019 Transfer Rumours Thread

59 minutes ago, Blue and white said:

I still think Rhodes has something to offer this club, plus Bruce tried to sign him for Villa, putting 2 and 2 together I would be more than surprised if he isn't given a chance next season and I for one cant wait to see him player under a proper manager.

If we sign some pacy wingers to supply the ammo , he could be a real asset for us , but we have to play to his strengths to get goals from him. 

1 hour ago, Blue and white said:

I still think Rhodes has something to offer this club, plus Bruce tried to sign him for Villa, putting 2 and 2 together I would be more than surprised if he isn't given a chance next season and I for one cant wait to see him player under a proper manager.

LOL, love the bromance of those still clinging to the idea Rhodes is suddenly going to come back with more skill, more pace, more ability cos he's been hanging out in Norwich. 

Just stick to watching those videos of the 4 4 draw at Hillsborough because that is the player you have in your mind. He no longer exists through a mixture of injuries and the loss of joyful exuberance of being hot stuff. 

21 minutes ago, DuttyTeabags said:

LOL, love the bromance of those still clinging to the idea Rhodes is suddenly going to come back with more skill, more pace, more ability cos he's been hanging out in Norwich. 

Just stick to watching those videos of the 4 4 draw at Hillsborough because that is the player you have in your mind. He no longer exists through a mixture of injuries and the loss of joyful exuberance of being hot stuff. 

Many people would have said the same about Glenn Murray before going to Brighton.

The fee we paid and his contract pretty much dictate that he'll almost certainly be back. Given his past interest in JR, I'm pretty sure SB will at least want to see him back at S6 to decide for himself. 

I've just spent half an hour watching JR's goals from previous seasons and reminding myself what his strengths are. There's nothing there that he would be physically unable to reproduce now. He's ultimately a poacher and clearly a confidence player, so who knows what could happen if he was in a team that played to his strengths.  

2 hours ago, SupremeOwl said:

Many people would have said the same about Glenn Murray before going to Brighton.

Glenn Murray and Jordan Rhodes are a very different kettle of poissons!! One has always been a strong battling Fletcher type and the other a pansy who was a little bit quick and v sharp in the area. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DuttyTeabags said:

Glenn Murray and Jordan Rhodes are a very different kettle of poissons!! One has always been a strong battling Fletcher type and the other a pansy who was a little bit quick and v sharp in the area. 

I know, what I meant was they are both instinctive finishers in the box, poachers if you will.

Murray went off the boil for ages before blooming again late on at Brighton, just needed the right environment. If we can get that for Rhodes, you just never know.

He's still got time to turn it around if we are willing to give him a chance but at this moment in time it is too hard to tell if we will. Might be best revisiting this in the summer when we know a little bit more about what Bruce wants, how he wants us to setup, other targets, and of course FFP/the financial situation etc.

4 hours ago, Morepork said:

The fee we paid and his contract pretty much dictate that he'll almost certainly be back. Given his past interest in JR, I'm pretty sure SB will at least want to see him back at S6 to decide for himself. 

I've just spent half an hour watching JR's goals from previous seasons and reminding myself what his strengths are. There's nothing there that he would be physically unable to reproduce now. He's ultimately a poacher and clearly a confidence player, so who knows what could happen if he was in a team that played to his strengths.  

Previous seasons, you said it right there. Hes done

21 hours ago, Morepork said:

I expect to see us utilise the loan market and the arrival of SB will almost certainly open up some doors that would previously have been closed to us. This is almost certainly going to be the case next season as well. From memory you can loan 8 and name 5 in the matchday squad, I think.....

Several high earning contracts coming to an end. Add to this the sale of one or two of our most valuable players which some may find painful but IMO it's imperative we cash on players like AR whilst his value is at the top end of its range in this league. 

Not necessarily ideal circumstances but at the same time, it will definitely be a relief to see the squad refreshed I can't see why that can't happen to some extent.

We wont sell anyone. Watch

I think many if us know that to get success, we need some good runners off the only good striker we have (fit) at the club right now.

Who out there, who had a bit of pace and can score a goal or two is available for next to nowt?

Or is the guy to play off Fletcher sat injured for us right now? By that I mean Forestieri or Hooper.

2 minutes ago, billyblack said:

Yeah. We dont need any free tall CB's. Lets carry on doing feck all instead.

Common misconception this.

Just cos we haven't signed anyone doesnt mean we're doing fizz all.

Also if he's not better than what we got, why bother? Especially in our financial predicament.