OFFICIAL January 2019 Transfer Rumours Thread

Guest wilyfox
3 hours ago, Owls-Fan said:

Also on that twitter story someone says the player hasn’t travelled for the club’s winter break training so maybe this one has legs, hopefully two of them 

Second leg is injured. Back in two weeks. 

22 hours ago, Bloxwich Owl said:

West Brom are keen on Newcastle United midfielder Isaac Hayden, according to The Telegraph journalist John Percy on Twitter.

The 23-year-old has made eight appearances for Rafa Benitez’s side in the Premier League this season and could leave this month in search of more regular first-team action.

This is the kind of signing we need.

1 minute ago, jack whitham said:

Hearing we are in for C J Hamilton at Mansfield.

If so looks like were buying wingers, maybe going for a 442 option?

Finally the penny drops, that for players like Fletcher, Winnall and even Nuhiu to score more goals we need to be getting crosses into the box which don't come from our own half!

1 minute ago, striker said:

If so looks like were buying wingers, maybe going for a 442 option?

Finally the penny drops, that for players like Fletcher, Winnall and even Nuhiu to score more goals we need to be getting crosses into the box which don't come from our own half!

So buying a winger from Mansfield ensures we persist with the likes of those three If that’s the strategy, League One, here we come.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Ash76 said:

Our recent record may not be great but Bruce’s is.

John McGinn

I didn't know anything about him until I did a quick google. 

Mackay-Steven won the title with celtic 3 years running and a league cup too. 

Played 19, Scored 6 for Aberbeen this season. 

Including a goal againts Burnley in Europa Qualification. 

28 years old and on paper, an improvement on Ross Wallace. 

It's a yes from me. 

Edited by bigash_swfc

5 minutes ago, spike1867 said:

What would you like to see brought in mate?

It’s not so much the buying of CJ Hamilton, I don’t know much about him, other than he started at Sheffield Utd, it’s more the thought of our attacking spearhead remaining in the hands of Fletcher, Nuhiu and Winnall

Guest wilyfox
4 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

It’s not so much the buying of CJ Hamilton, I don’t know much about him, other than he started at Sheffield Utd, it’s more the thought of our attacking spearhead remaining in the hands of Fletcher, Nuhiu and Winnall

Like yourself, I'm not convinced it will. Bruce does appear to favour a mobile forward that can run in behind. Not the strengths of those three. Joao is the one, with a new recruit to provide competition. 

24 minutes ago, spike1867 said:

What would you like to see brought in mate?

I was quite happy with us seeking players for the positions announced in the press, a full back, a central defender and a forward. The rumours of Mackay-Steven and CJ Hamilton, could see us in danger of going off piste again

7 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I wouldn't have a problem with Fletcher, Winnall and Joao being fed quality crosses.  Joao and Fletcher are good in the air, Winnall too. There is hold up play there, mobility from Winnall, a bit of trickery in Joao.  I think we could benefit from a smaller, quicker forward who plays off the last defender and gets in the channels.  However its the speed with which we move the ball forward that will determine how successful it would be.  When Bannan et al look up, they have to have the options of into feet and hold, player spinning off the centre back, the option out wide or runner from deep.  Reach gives you the runner from deep, Fletcher can hold up the play.  I'm not convinced about us having a player who plays off the last defender and gets into the channel between centre half and full back and obviously we don't have any "wingers" who deliver quality.  I said before Hogan went to Villa he was the sort we should be looking at.  Its still the sort of forward we should be looking at.

Personally wouldn’t give Mansfield a penny after the friendly last summer. Don’t think we will be active until late in the window, if at all, when Agnew and Clemence have had time to assess the squad. We need to raise funds to balance the books for P&S too as out of contract players leaving in the summer won’t be enough. DC should have been planning for this window and next summer last year knowing the situation but clearly hasn’t. 

1 minute ago, gurujuan said:

I was quite happy with us seeking players for the positions announced in the press, a full back, a central defender and a forward. The rumours of Mackay-Steven and CJ Hamilton, could see us in danger of going off piste again

Agreed its not quite the quality I had in mind, thats not to say that I think we can afford or attract top championship quality at the moment. 

1 minute ago, spike1867 said:

I wouldn't have a problem with Fletcher, Winnall and Joao being fed quality crosses.  Joao and Fletcher are good in the air, Winnall too. There is hold up play there, mobility from Winnall, a bit of trickery in Joao.  I think we could benefit from a smaller, quicker forward who plays off the last defender and gets in the channels.  However its the speed with which we move the ball forward that will determine how successful it would be.  When Bannan et al look up, they have to have the options of into feet and hold, player spinning off the centre back, the option out wide or runner from deep.  Reach gives you the runner from deep, Fletcher can hold up the play.  I'm not convinced about us having a player who plays off the last defender and gets into the channel between centre half and full back and obviously we don't have any "wingers" who deliver quality.  I said before Hogan went to Villa he was the sort we should be looking at.  Its still the sort of forward we should be looking at.

Maybe, but I think the idea of switching back to wingers complicates things rather. If you have Fletcher or Nuhiu in the middle, you’d need to have someone to pair them with. That also means you’d only have two in the middle of the park, and I’m not sure we’d have two ideally suited for that role Also, would our defence be strong enough with no real protection ahead of them? 

Obviously, I have no idea how Bruce will set us up, though his favoured system seems to be 4-2-3-1, so it just seems to be unnecessary upheaval However, at the moment, they’re just rumours

5 hours ago, Owls-Fan said:

Also on that twitter story someone says the player hasn’t travelled for the club’s winter break training so maybe this one has legs, hopefully two of them 

Lets hope he has got some legs unlike some of our recent signings.

• Haha 1