Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
theowlsman

OFFICIAL January 2019 Transfer Rumours Thread

Recommended Posts

If Bruce is looking to bring in an experienced centre back, and he usually does, then it could easily be someone who is out of contract. At Villa he recruited Samba and Terry, the latter installed as captain. Not saying it would be any of those, but it seems the type of player he always goes for early in his reign. We could do with such a player, an experienced leader at the back, someone who can organise the defence. It does go against our newly stated policy of only recruiting younger players though.

However, we are unlikely to find an experienced leader who fits that age profile

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

If Bruce is looking to bring in an experienced centre back, and he usually does.

We are unlikely to find an experienced leader who fits that age profile

 

The only player that completely fits this mould.

 

Is Tommy Elphick. 

 

He was a part of Hull City's return to form until Villa (out of the blue) recalled him and Steve Bruce did sign him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, bigash_swfc said:

 

The only player that completely fits this mould.

 

Is Tommy Elphick. 

 

He was a part of Hull City's return to form until Villa (out of the blue) recalled him and Steve Bruce did sign him. 

Possibly, yes, don’t particularly rate him, but he does meet the brief. He was recalled by Villa, but they have since signed Hause, and are trying to bring in that Bulgarian player, so you might be right

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, bigash_swfc said:

 

The only player that completely fits this mould.

 

Is Tommy Elphick. 

 

He was a part of Hull City's return to form until Villa (out of the blue) recalled him and Steve Bruce did sign him. 

Did he?

 

I’m pretty sure Elphick played for Villa against us on the first day of the season when Di Matteo was at Villa before Bruce.

  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Possibly, yes, don’t particularly rate him, but he does meet the brief. He was recalled by Villa, but they have since signed Hause, and are trying to bring in that Bulgarian player, so you might be right

 

I do honestly think he'll be coming. (Elphick)

Also think we'll get another one atleast from Hogan, ElMohamady, Bree, Taylor and Lansbury.

 

Then there will be a loan signing or two.

 

Rhian Brewster 

Conor Wickham

Baba Rahman 

(Lookman was never happening)

Edited by bigash_swfc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, TrickyTrev said:

Did he? I’m pretty sure Elphick played for Villa against us on the first day of the season when Di Matteo was at Villa before Bruce.

 

They've had that many managers I've lost track of time.

 

Anyways. Wickham and Fletcher, what we reckon? 

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, fpowl said:

Get this but our wage bill has significantly increased since then I would say year two signings such as abdi Jones fletcher and Boyd would accumulate in the region of about £140k per week which is over 7million a year just on wages 

 

I (without much science!) calculate that our wage bill would reduce by circa £200k p.w. in the summer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can't see us signing Elphick. Bruce didn't buy him, and sent him out on loan. 

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Suzuki_San said:

 

I (without much science!) calculate that our wage bill would reduce by circa £200k p.w. in the summer.

 

..and that's just by shifting Jones. 

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, bigash_swfc said:

 

They've had that many managers I've lost track of time.

 

Anyways. Wickham and Fletcher, what we reckon? 

I actually think Fletcher and Rhodes is more likely as I’m pretty sure Bruce tried signing Rhodes when he was at Villa.

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TrickyTrev said:

I actually think Fletcher and Rhodes is more likely as I’m pretty sure Bruce tried signing Rhodes when he was at Villa.

 

I agree but thats next season. However late it will be, I still think we'll push as much as we can, this season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Suzuki_San said:

 

I (without much science!) calculate that our wage bill would reduce by circa £200k p.w. in the summer.

 

Possibly another 60k, if you add Onomah and Hectors wage to that, when they return.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, keepitsteel89 said:

So...your telling me we're snookered?

We need about £18 million - CASH - before 30 May .

 

Reach and Bannon may raise this.

 

Trust in Bruce - he'll trade us outta this. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, fred mciver said:

We need about £18 million - CASH - before 30 May .

 

Reach and Bannon may raise this.

 

Trust in Bruce - he'll trade us outta this. 

There will be all sorts going on. If it was as clear cut as we need to raise 18m cash before may. We would have never have spent the money we did on getting Bruce and he would never have come.

Jos would have continued his cost cutting mission or we would have left bullen in charge.

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, fred mciver said:

We need about £18 million - CASH - before 30 May .

 

Reach and Bannon may raise this.

 

Trust in Bruce - he'll trade us outta this. 

 

Ground will go before players.

Edited by bigash_swfc
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's one from "left field".  Just spoke to one of my friends who is very closely connected to the Vancouver Whitecaps (he played for the Caps in the 70's / 80's and his son is now playing for us).

 

He told me this morning that the Whitecaps have shown interest in Hooper as far as going into some serious negotiations.  My issue with Hooper is that he hasn't played for a while AND our home stadium is "fake grass".  That being said, a fully fit Hooper might be the striker we are looking for this season...   stay tuned...   The MLS window doesn't open till early February so any deals would either be kept quiet till then or announced as pending...

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think within the next 12 months we’ll be a totally different side to what we are now in terms of personnel and the overall balance. Bruce knows you need Physicality, Power and Pace to get out of the championship.

  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TrickyTrev said:

Did he?

 

I’m pretty sure Elphick played for Villa against us on the first day of the season when Di Matteo was at Villa before Bruce.

He did mate

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Great Big Galaa said:

I think within the next 12 months we’ll be a totally different side to what we are now in terms of personnel and the overall balance. Bruce knows you need Physicality, Power and Pace to get out of the championship.

 

This all day long until the cows come home, the crowds go home and the wagon wheels are sold out. 

Bruce doesn’t plan tactics he plans Teamsheets. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, gurujuan said:

If Bruce is looking to bring in an experienced centre back, and he usually does, then it could easily be someone who is out of contract. At Villa he recruited Samba and Terry, the latter installed as captain. Not saying it would be any of those, but it seems the type of player he always goes for early in his reign. We could do with such a player, an experienced leader at the back, someone who can organise the defence. It does go against our newly stated policy of only recruiting younger players though.

However, we are unlikely to find an experienced leader who fits that age profile

Venancio will be available for not much and at the price he will cost of less than £1m would be a steal.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...