OFFICIAL January 2019 Transfer Rumours Thread

This thread :duntmatter:

We already have a squad capable of promotion, Bruce & DC aren't going to sell the crown jewels and until they do will have very little money to pay for any transfers. Maybe a freebie or two but other than that I'm expecting another window like last summer and quite happy with that.

The value has correctly been added by investing in a strong coaching team that will sweat the squad for the rest of the season and see where we are in the summer.

UTO

6 minutes ago, ZicoSterland2 said:

15m for Reach would have to be accepted.  Half money to FFP accounts half for recruitment. He has had a good season so his value is there. 2 years ago people on here were saying he wasnt worth 2 million. Hope he gets the move he deserves and we get the value we require.

A new young player only needs one howler for the forum football aficionados to spring into action, however the majority see him for what he is, a great Premier League prospect, I just hope that SB persuades him to stay for another season. I really want to see Winnall and Rhodes up front, with Fessi just behind them, and Reach and Bannan backing them up. 

28 minutes ago, Not Jon Newsome said:

Hope we don't sell Reach, would much rather move Forestieri on first.

We're very unlikely to receive the same kind of offers for Forestieri, though.

Whereas Reach's value is probably at its peak while he remains a Championship player, due to injuries and lack of game time, Forestieri's value is probably at the lowest it's been since he joined.

Sensible clubs sell at the right moment, and this could be the right time to sell Reach if the money is good enough.

2 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

We're very unlikely to receive the same kind of offers for Forestieri, though.

Whereas Reach's value is probably at its peak while he remains a Championship player, due to injuries and lack of game time, Forestieri's value is probably at the lowest it's been since he joined.

Sensible clubs sell at the right moment, and this could be the right time to sell Reach if the money is good enough.

Forestieri hasnt hardly played for 2 seasons . His value from the play off final to now has shrunk greatly. Be lucky now to get 5 million. He needs game time and some goals to increase his value .

17 hours ago, StudentOwl said:

Jack Hunt is as a result of three completely independent sources all giving the same wage value... £18k p/w

McGugan was posted on here several times shortly after he joined by the more reputable posters... the same figure kept coming up repeatedly throughout his time here.

I remember you having quite a lot of negative things to say about posters, such as myself, that attempted to discuss player wages calling them all fantasy, made up, conjecture and whatnot...  ... ... and then our accounts got released with c.£20m losses, a figure entirely consistent with the wages that people like myself were hearing and conveying.

Of course, there are loads of inaccurate figures that are thrown out on here (£40k p/w for Fletcher for example, which when I first saw on here I literally laughed at because it was so obviously hyper-inflated), but some are pretty close to hitting the nail on the head. If you don't want to believe the figures I'm posting, fair enough, I can understand why. Randomer on internet posting numbers and insisting their fact is not exactly grounds for a solid argument or necessarily a reliable source. But the figures I've always been told certainly accurately reflect our operating losses... whereas the claims, for example, that these figures are double what the wages are in reality would mean our losses should be several million lower than what they actually are.

Certainly based on the wages I'm led to believe we're paying, that £30m wage bill didn't come as a surprise. Certainly if it's closer to £10k per week average per player as Birley is suggesting, then the 34 players that made Championship appearances last season would have cost us ~£17.5m. Obviously we have more staff, youth players etc to pay too, but not to the tune of another £12m or so per year. Reality is, average first-teamer wage has to be significantly more than £10k. Reasonable conservative guesstimate would be pushing it into the low £20m per year bracket, which means another 25% on top of that. Bish bash bosh, average wage of those 30-odd players is probably in the (very) low teens. Then obviously you'll have the youth products paid  less than that average, and then the experienced pros (like ~100 Champ appearances Jack Hunt) paid a little more than that average. And all of a sudden, the figure of £18k is entirely consistent with what came out in the accounts.

Only way it isn't the case is if we're paying "other staff" such as scouts, managers, coaches, tea ladies etc... comes to £12m per year. And I'm just not convinced the club pay that much of a premium to the majority of these staff members, nor do we have the quite literally hundreds of these sorts of staff on the books. 

The more you waffle the more you weaken any validity of your point. 

Your first paragraph was enough. You actually don’t know at all. Just trying to join dots up through nothing more than a few posts on here. 

1 hour ago, optimisticowl said:

A new young player only needs one howler for the forum football aficionados to spring into action, however the majority see him for what he is, a great Premier League prospect, I just hope that SB persuades him to stay for another season. I really want to see Winnall and Rhodes up front, with Fessi just behind them, and Reach and Bannan backing them up. 

Would we get promoted with that team with a 15 point deduction do you reckon?

I’ve been a critic of Reach on here and been pilloried by some for being so but as I say time and again opinions are opinions, some are spot on, mine invariably aren’t?

That said do I think that we’ll miss Reach when he leaves? I’m going to get slated for this but I’d put him in the Nuhiu bracket as someone that you don’t know what you’ve got until he’s gone.

We know what he can do but does he do it enough? Is he really that influential to the way we play? There’s every chance he could go to the Prem and be as effective as Michail Antonio has been for West Ham but is he really that explosive a player? Different styles maybe but we need to start shuffling the squad sooner rather than later and stop losing out on money which we’ve done far too often in the past and in the longer term we’ll be a better prospect for doing this.

Edited by Great Big Galaa

1 minute ago, Great Big Galaa said:

I’ve been a critic of Reach on here and been pilloried by some for being so but as I say time and again opinions are opinions, some are spot on, mine invariably aren’t?

That said do I think that we’ll miss Reach when he leaves? I’m going to get slated for this but I’d put him in the Nuhiu bracket as someone that you don’t know what you’ve got until he’s gone.

We know what he can do but does he do it enough? Is he really that influential to the way we play? There’s every chance he could go to the Prem and be as effective as Michail Antonio has been for West Ham but is he really that explosive a player? Different styles maybe but we need to start shuffling the squad sooner rather than later and stop losing out on money which we’ve done far too often in the past and in the longer term we’ll be a better prospect for doing this.

Agree with what you are saying and IMO we would miss him. However it goes beyond that for me, we need to raise money, he is probably our most saleable asset and worth thr most. On that front we should capitalise and make the most of it. We need to raise money and thats what needs addressing.

It shouldn’t phase us, contemplating doing it with loans. Hector has arguably been our best player this season, and Huddersfield pretty much got promoted due to their six loanees, ditto Wolves. It’s something we haven’t really taken advantage of, while others have taken talented youngsters, we’ve tended to just bring in older players who aren’t any better than what we have

3 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

It shouldn’t phase us, contemplating doing it with loans. Hector has arguably been our best player this season, and Huddersfield pretty much got promoted due to their six loanees, ditto Wolves. It’s something we haven’t really taken advantage of, while others have taken talented youngsters, we’ve tended to just bring in older players who aren’t any better than what we have

But we are restricted on wages we can pay for loanees arent we?

8 minutes ago, Great Big Galaa said:

We've been well below average and he's still managed to shine like a beacon of hope..... I don't get the Nuhiu comparison at all if I'm honest.

The most common criticism you will read of AR is that he doesn't get a foot in or avoids a tackle, whichever way you want to put it. To me, that's a bit of a red herring because the downside is easily outweighed by the number of appearances he has made and his lack of injury problems.

Edited by Morepork

Guest wilyfox

Having 3 teams "interested" is why I suspect the Reach link is tenuous. Made up or agent-driven speculation always seems to have 3 interested parties. Never 1, 2, or 4. Always 3. I'm sure there will be some interest in Reach due to age and form, but we know DC's stance on selling our best - whether we agree with it or not. 

5 minutes ago, Morepork said:

We've been below average and he's still managed to shine. I don't get the Nuhiu comparison at all if I'm honest.

The most common criticism you will read of AR is that he doesn't get a foot in or avoids a tackle, whichever way you want to put it. To me, that's a bit of a red herring because the downside is easily outweighed by the number of appearances he has made and his lack of injury problems.

The Nuhiu comparison? Just making a point that in their own way they are players who have divided opinion amongst the fan base. Reach has had his good days for us, so has Nuhiu.

Some fans will think we won’t miss Reach. Others will think we’re better off without Nuhiu. I think once they’re no longer an option for whoever is in charge, you then find out the real answer?

Edited by Great Big Galaa

48 minutes ago, bladeshater said:

I understand if reach goes but these are the sort of players we should build a team round 

Who knows when's the next time we sign another like him

The Adam Reach we signed wasn't the Adam Reach we see today: he's improved massively during his time at Wednesday and is quite rightly catching the eye of some Premier League clubs.

What any sensible Championship club does in this situation is to sell him for maximum value, insert some extra clauses to boost our return should he really kick on, and use that money to invest in a few more players, some of whom we might develop into the next Adam Reach.

If we hang on to him, his value is only going to go one way, and we're going to be unable to spend any money building a squad capable of promotion.

I'd love to hang on to all our best players, but in reality something's got to give. 

• Thanks 1