OFFICIAL January 2019 Transfer Rumours Thread

18 minutes ago, Royal_D said:

Dont really think it’s bizarre to think Winnall isn’t a top level championship striker 

More the fact he only thinks Joao and Forestieri are up to it, Winnall would outside Forestieri especially since Forestieri isn't a striker. Fletcher is also more than capable providing fitness. 

1 hour ago, Royal_D said:

We need two new permanent full backs, is January the time we’re gonna be able to achieve that ?  Not for me 

Will we blow money on a couple of hopeful loans with some hopeful aspiration of getting promoted ? Remains to be seen 

We have recently looked more vulnerable through centre. If we have high tempo team against us we struggle. In last game centre backs had wobble. 

Guest wilyfox
1 minute ago, WalthamOwl said:

Preston making a couple of signings today. Potts from Barnsley and Stockley from Exeter.  

When they sign Pans to go with Potts, Preston can do a kitchen Stockley check.

2 minutes ago, Not Jon Newsome said:

More the fact he only thinks Joao and Forestieri are up to it, Winnall would outside Forestieri especially since Forestieri isn't a striker. Fletcher is also more than capable providing fitness. 

What are you saying Fletch is capable of though ? Been a regular goal scorer ? Having the ability to push us towards promotion ? 

We need a striker who’s capable of scoring 15/20 goals a season, not too sure Fletcher is capable of that if am honest, FF might not be best used as a central striker but he’s capable of scoring regular goals 

48 minutes ago, Walt said:

Be interesting to see if they could click. Fletcher and Hooper was the best partnership and then Nuhiu and Joao was very good last season 

FF-Joao-Matias is the one I'd like to see given a proper go. Just let them get on with attacking, don't worry about tracking back too much, let the rest of the team get on with that boring stuff ! I wonder how many teams would commit too many forward if we left the three of them in up front? 

Yes FF, Joao and Matias would do for me, but I do share some of your reservations about Joao leading the line He has most of the attributes, but needs work on the remaining ones If we don’t bring anyone in, then I’d like to see the trio given a chance. 

You’d then have a more conventional pairing, Fletcher and Hooper, on the bench, alongside maybe a quick wide player

6 minutes ago, Royal_D said:

What are you saying Fletch is capable of though ? Been a regular goal scorer ? Having the ability to push us towards promotion ? 

We need a striker who’s capable of scoring 15/20 goals a season, not too sure Fletcher is capable of that if am honest, FF might not be best used as a central striker but he’s capable of scoring regular goals 

Teams have strikers that don’t score and still do well, Giroud was outstanding for afrance in World Cup but didn’t score at all.

Lets say say that it’s only goals that counts though, Winnall is more than capable of the 15-20 as proved at a lower league team. 

11 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

Teams have strikers that don’t score and still do well, Giroud was outstanding for afrance in World Cup but didn’t score at all.

Lets say say that it’s only goals that counts though, Winnall is more than capable of the 15-20 as proved at a lower league team. 

More than happy to agree Fletch has a part to play, maybe I missed the point , thought he was been referred to as a 20 goal man 

And again more than happy to admit Winnall is 20 goal man in League one,  championship?  Jurys still out for me 

20 minutes ago, Owls-Fan said:

We need a creative winger/forward, someone like Knockaert - who isn’t available. So maybe Alireza Jahanbakhsh at Brighton would be loaned out for more English experience?

Some of our fans struggle with Nuhuey, Bannon and Tom Lee, this guy is going to cause aneurysms!!

• Haha 2

Guest wilyfox
26 minutes ago, Owls-Fan said:

We need a creative winger/forward, someone like Knockaert - who isn’t available. So maybe Alireza Jahanbakhsh at Brighton would be loaned out for more English experience?

4 minutes ago, swfc1983 said:

Some of our fans struggle with Nuhuey, Bannon and Tom Lee, this guy is going to cause aneurysms!!

Just like uppin' the stakes in poker innit..

"I'll raise ya big cash." 

38 minutes ago, Royal_D said:

More than happy to agree Fletch has a part to play, maybe I missed the point , thought he was been referred to as a 20 goal man 

And again more than happy to admit Winnall is 20 goal man in League one,  championship?  Jurys still out for me 

At Barnsley Winall scored 11 from 20 starts in the Championship. 

Last season at Derby he scored 6 from 6 starts (plus 11 sub).

I thought he was an absolute bargain at £500,000, the sort of signing Wednesday don't make, just couldn't understand signing Rhodes hours laters...sign one but not both.

Don't think he's ever going to win any awards for skill but you can see the attributes that can / have made him effective at this level. Looking at those stats you'd assume that he'd get around 20 goals if he started every game and was given half decent service, whether Bruce see's him as his type of player is another matter.

Edited by Walt

2 hours ago, Walt said:

Ideally we'd all love the big powerful jet heeled striker (who wouldn't) but for my money we've got more pressing concerns atm. I'd be looking to see if Joao could step up to do that job - there are obvious parts to his game that would need to improve to do that role justice and is he tough enough to play it? I just think it would be worth trying as if he does click then we'd have one hell of a player on our hands.

When FF has played in the hole he has had the ball to feet but has been unable to do much with it, I think he's too easy to mark in that role, it's a different story when he's cutting in or just wandering in from the left.

Problem is when has has played up front it has usually been in the away games and also at a time when we played a narrow 4-4-2 that didn’t create many chances. 

It would be interesting to see how he would fare in that position in a team with pace out wide and up front so that we could stretch the oppositions defence and create that bit of space for Forestieri to work his magic.

Edited by York_Owl

If we’re going for a front three the number player we have on our books to play that central role is fletcher then you just surround him with quality 

forestieri wide

joao/matias wide

bannan reach central 

fletcher as the focal point would be excellent in bring these into play 

We don't need another striker. This season anyway. Fletcher is great down the middle, can run the line a little and does what we need. Hold the ball up and can score goals. Quality striker yer people want to replace him with an unknown 18 year old loanee cos he has some pace.

Next season potentially a different option for the bench, but think we need to focus on different areas we actually need first rather than the same one all the time. Such as full back and out wide.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, fpowl said:

If we’re going for a front three the number player we have on our books to play that central role is fletcher then you just surround him with quality 

forestieri wide

joao/matias wide

bannan reach central 

fletcher as the focal point would be excellent in bring these into play 

I hope we can get beyond hitting it up to Fletcher Yes he puts himself about, and he’s a wholehearted trier, but he doesn’t move the ball quick enough. Players like Forestieri, Reach, Joao and Matias need the football to be a bit more one touch. If we moved the ball faster, all our players would look a lot sharper The piggies don’t even have the pace we have, but they move the ball at pace, that’s what we need to do

1 minute ago, gurujuan said:

I hope we can get beyond hitting it up to Fletcher Yes he puts himself about, and he’s a wholehearted trier, but he doesn’t move the ball quick enough. Players like Forestieri, Reach, Joao and Matias need the football to be a bit more one touch. If we moved the ball faster, all our players would look a lot sharper The piggies don’t even have the pace we have, but they move the ball at pace, that’s what we need to do

Absolute pie in the sky.