OFFICIAL January 2019 Transfer Rumours Thread

1 minute ago, pressy said:

When was Forestieri last up to it    Fletcher is Class

Opinions I suppose, but Fletcher is not my idea of a top striker Like, Nuhiu and Winnall, he offers something, but if we want to progress, we need better

Just now, gurujuan said:

So what is he then?

His best position for us has been in an attacking role cutting in from the left. Strikers play through the middle. He has been nowhere near as effective when he has played centrally.

1 minute ago, Walt said:

His best position for us has been in an attacking role cutting in from the left. Strikers play through the middle. He has been nowhere near as effective when he has played centrally.

Not these days, it’s more likely to be wide attackers, rather than wingers. To my mind, he’s quality, and can play anywhere across the front line

6 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Not these days, it’s more likely to be wide attackers, rather than wingers. To my mind, he’s quality, and can play anywhere across the front line

The bit in bold I couldn't agree more with - that's why I said "in an attacking role cutting in from the left" -  not a striker. 

He simply does not perform as well when he has played centrally, either in the hole or as part of a front two. To my mind he doesn't fancy it on the right either, can you remember the game when Jos brought him on (Bolton) and played him RHS? He wandered about looking like he didn't give a poo. Jos changed it and put him on the LHS...totally different player, he turned it on for about 15 mins and more or less won us the game.

I can remember one notable exception against Huddersfield where he had an absolute stormer when up front centrally, after altering things around we ended up in the 2nd half with him and Winnall playing up 'top for the last 25 mins or so. Huddersfield could not cope with Winnall and FF's movement, it was that good they pulled them all over the shop, they couldn't get near them. There and then I thought CC had stumbled onto something special...he never tried it again. 

13 minutes ago, Walt said:

The bit in bold I couldn't agree more with - that's why I said "in an attacking role cutting in from the left" -  not a striker. 

He simply does not perform as well when he has played centrally, either in the hole or as part of a front two. To my mind he doesn't fancy it on the right either, can you remember the game when Jos brought him on (Bolton) and played him RHS? He wandered about looking like he didn't give a poo. Jos changed it and put him on the LHS...totally different player, he turned it on for about 15 mins and more or less won us the game.

I can remember one notable exception against Huddersfield where he had an absolute stormer when up front centrally, after altering things around we ended up in the 2nd half with him and Winnall playing up 'top for the last 25 mins or so. Huddersfield could not cope with Winnall and FF's movement, it was that good they pulled them all over the shop, they couldn't get near them. There and then I thought CC had stumbled onto something special...he never tried it again. 

I think you probably are right, that his best performances have been from the left Stats would most likely back that up. 

As I said, it’s just opinions, but I think, with right players, he really could play all across the front line. One thing that works against him, when playing there, is that he is not the sort of player who thrives on flick ons. He likes the ball to his feet, and one of the problems with Fletcher is, Forestieri doesn’t get the ball back quickly enough. It’s good to have different options though, but I still feel we can add another quick central striker

Edited by gurujuan

29 minutes ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

FF/Joao is our best strike pair. Just a shame we rarely get to see it.

Be interesting to see if they could click. Fletcher and Hooper was the best partnership and then Nuhiu and Joao was very good last season 

FF-Joao-Matias is the one I'd like to see given a proper go. Just let them get on with attacking, don't worry about tracking back too much, let the rest of the team get on with that boring stuff ! I wonder how many teams would commit too many forward if we left the three of them in up front? 

4 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I think you probably are right, that his best performances have been from the left Stats would most likely back that up. 

As I said, it’s just opinions, but I think, with right players, he really could play all across the front line. One thing that works against him, when playing there, is that he is not the sort of player who thrives on flick ons. He likes the ball to his feet, and one of the problems with Fletcher is, Forestieri doesn’t get the ball back quickly enough. It’s good to have different options though, but I still feel we can add another quick central striker

Ideally we'd all love the big powerful jet heeled striker (who wouldn't) but for my money we've got more pressing concerns atm. I'd be looking to see if Joao could step up to do that job - there are obvious parts to his game that would need to improve to do that role justice and is he tough enough to play it? I just think it would be worth trying as if he does click then we'd have one hell of a player on our hands.

When FF has played in the hole he has had the ball to feet but has been unable to do much with it, I think he's too easy to mark in that role, it's a different story when he's cutting in or just wandering in from the left.

18 minutes ago, Not Jon Newsome said:

Crikey, you have some bizarre opinions on players. To be fair a transfer rumour mega thread wouldn't be the same without you rubbishing every transfer target linked, keep at it.

Dont really think it’s bizarre to think Winnall isn’t a top level championship striker 

Guest wilyfox
3 minutes ago, s6 owl said:

Madine to the pigs is apparently close.

That would be hilarious. Will he punch 'em out one by one..?