OFFICIAL January 2019 Transfer Rumours Thread

West Brom are in the hunt to sign “highly-rated” Charlton centre-forward Karlan Grant, according to the Daily Mail

The newspaper claimed that Huddersfield and Middlesbrough are also interested in signing the 21-year-old.

It is understood that Grant’s deal at The Valley expires at the end of the season and he could be on the move for a fee of £2million.

7 hours ago, steelcityowlsfan said:

Heard we are signing Marcus Rashford on a 5 year contract. He won't officially join until we reach the premier league but we've agreed to pay £20 million a year over the next 5 years. 

In the meantime Man Utd have sent us a Rashford sticker book and a copy of Jaap Stams autobiography. 

Best post of 2019

9 minutes ago, sheriwozgod said:

Marc Pugh and Nelson Oliveira.......................both of those would have improved our squad but its all like groundhog day............when will our owner realize that EVERY club in the world has to sell at some time to raise funds to aid survival / recruitment.

Don't disagree, but who is going to buy our players which would have an impact on FFP?

Big money not being spent in the Championship and we have nobody PL quality. 

2 minutes ago, striker said:

Don't disagree, but who is going to buy our players which would have an impact on FFP?

Big money not being spent in the Championship and we have nobody PL quality. 

I agree mate, we have left it way too long and the asking price for most of our saleable assets has dwindled rapidly, but we have to make a start sometime.

22 hours ago, gurujuan said:

They’re a strange model, they get all their youngsters from other academies, Mepham I think was with Chelsea. They don’t develop their own. Their reserve side doesn’t even play in a league, playing mostly friendlies overseas

They cancelled it as there's 5 better academies in London and then thought losing their best youths to then wasn't worth it anymore.

They still have an academy up to 16 year olds and then the best ones proceeds to Brentford B, their u23s. Buts it's unofficial so they don't pay into the elite player development scheme, nor do they enter youth leagues or cups in our country.

Players are potentially more happier too they get to play against some of the best youth squads in Europe most weekends, and don't have any competitive fixtures to out pressure on them. Except for a few regional cups they enter on behalf of Brentford.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

They cancelled it as there's 5 better academies in London and then thought losing their best youths to then wasn't worth it anymore.

They still have an academy up to 16 year olds and then the best ones proceeds to Brentford B, their u23s. Buts it's unofficial so they don't pay into the elite player development scheme, nor do they enter youth leagues or cups in our country.

Players are potentially more happier too they get to play against some of the best youth squads in Europe most weekends, and don't have any competitive fixtures to out pressure on them. Except for a few regional cups they enter on behalf of Brentford.

Thank goodness for EasyJet then, or travelling all around Europe every week, would work out very expensive

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, gurujuan said:

I’m confident our team of skilled negotiators can get all the deals, both in, and out, over the line, even if they are left until the last day

They are now in the case after spending literally seconds on setting up club1867 mark2. They can now focus their full energies into the signing of Ben Marshall and Michael Mols

1 hour ago, gurujuan said:

Thank goodness for EasyJet then, or travelling all around Europe every week, would work out very expensive

What Brentford does costs many millions they have to sell players each year to fund the enterprise. I would find it annoying to sell your best players each year when you could easily have a promotion winning team if not devastating it by selling off two or three players each year as a minimum. mepham did look good in some games but has actually gone through a rough patch when team not defending well at all. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Quist said:

What Brentford does costs many millions they have to sell players each year to fund the enterprise. I would find it annoying to sell your best players each year when you could easily have a promotion winning team if not devastating it by selling off two or three players each year as a minimum. mepham did look good in some games but has actually gone through a rough patch when team not defending well at all. 

The Brentford fan I know suggests that they’re selling players for more each year which allows them to gradually raise the standard of the squad and the investment they can put back into producing even better players to sell. So hopefully that and the new stadium will eventually put them in the premiership on a sustainable footing. I’d bet they get there before us and stay there longer.

2 hours ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

They still have an academy up to 16 year olds and then the best ones proceeds to Brentford B, their u23s. Buts it's unofficial so they don't pay into the elite player development scheme, nor do they enter youth leagues or cups 

Brentford don't have an academy at all.  Just a B team

47 minutes ago, Sonny said:

The Brentford fan I know suggests that they’re selling players for more each year which allows them to gradually raise the standard of the squad and the investment they can put back into producing even better players to sell. So hopefully that and the new stadium will eventually put them in the premiership on a sustainable footing. I’d bet they get there before us and stay there longer.

They have to get really lucky to get promoted. Selling key players off each year does nothing for stability and you need some core stability in a side. They sold wood and it fell apart this season, they reached play offs a couple of years ago and have not threatened since, I know a couple of Brentford fans and are not keen on losing best player each season. Mepham was promising but he is third or fourth centre back they have sold in last 3 seasons, having a solid centre of defence is key requirement for success in Championship. If owner is not lining his pocket the cost of scouting operation for them must be £15 million a year which is even more expensive than I thought it was. Surprisingly many of players they sell on do not do as well as expected and this will also impact future fees they receive.

1 minute ago, Quist said:

They have to get really lucky to get promoted. Selling key players off each year does nothing for stability and you need some core stability in a side. They sold wood and it fell apart this season, they reached play offs a couple of years ago and have not threatened since, I know a couple of Brentford fans and are not keen on losing best player each season. Mepham was promising but he is third or fourth centre back they have sold in last 3 seasons, having a solid centre of defence is key requirement for success in Championship. If owner is not lining his pocket the cost of scouting operation for them must be £15 million a year which is even more expensive than I thought it was. Surprisingly many of players they sell on do not do as well as expected and this will also impact future fees they receive.

I’d be delighted with the way things are going if I was a Brentford fan. In the championship with progressive owners and a new stadium being built. It will propel them forward. The club is so well ran that I wince when I tell him what’s going on at Wednesday.

• Thanks 1