OFFICIAL January 2019 Transfer Rumours Thread

3 minutes ago, sheriwozgod said:

Just me that thinks Hourihane is overrated ?

Yes mate as he has scored more goals from midfield in his 60 odd games for Villa than Bannan has managed in double that, add to that he has only got 4 yellow he has not missed 3 games through suspension.

For me I would take the money for Bannan if we could get £8m then replace him with a younger better championship midfielder in Nick Powell who has just 6 month left on his deal at Wigan, at 24 he will get better i.e. improve his resale value.

2018/19 - Powell 18 games, 4 goals 5 assists 

2018/19 - Bannan 23 games, 2 goals, 3 assists 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, keepitsteel89 said:

On a different and unrelated  note..just to avoid starting a new thread.. Andy Rhodes has been troubling me recently..I cant help feeling a large amount of animosity  towards the man... I feel he was in peoples ears to sign his kid and then its been well reported there was friction in the squad because of him trying to get carlos to play favourites.. I know it was said some of the players found out about this and "bullied them" ..but I would be bloody furious if I was a player who saw nepotism creeping in to the team selections, bullying may have been fair! .. I know there are alot of people to blame for JR signing..fans included.. and blame may be a strong word because we are looking back in hindsight.. but I just get a feeling AR was overstepping the line on more than a few occasions.. hes recently been sacked by Oldham  as well.. not sure why but it just adds to be suspicions.. I may be totally wrong but I haven't seen anyone voice this and I genuinely feel the man got away lucky  

Its a good job none of Jordan Rhodes family is left at Hillsborough then …………………….

Oh wait a minute what about Uncle Steve Agnew lol

• Haha 2

Guest wilyfox
19 minutes ago, room0035 said:

Yes mate as he has scored more goals from midfield in his 60 odd games for Villa than Bannan has managed in double that, add to that he has only got 4 yellow he has not missed 3 games through suspension.

For me I would take the money for Bannan if we could get £8m then replace him with a younger better championship midfielder in Nick Powell who has just 6 month left on his deal at Wigan, at 24 he will get better i.e. improve his resale value.

Inclined to agree, but I'm not convinced Bannan to Villa is a goer. Reach possibly, but then maybe not if they're chasing Sawyers. Agree with Nick Powell suggestion. Players entering last 6 months of contract - like Winnall when we purchased - are clever buys. Powell for one, Josh Vela at Bolton is another I'd consider. 

1 hour ago, room0035 said:

Be interesting to see how many times each player played the pass before the assist. 

As that is what Bannan is all about.

All our good moves normally start from him.

1 hour ago, pazowl55 said:

Be interesting to see how many times each player played the pass before the assist. 

Hes involved in almost every thing we do so you’re right about that. Conversely all our bad moves normally start with him too! 

His stats show he touches ball a lot and creates very little by comparison. It is true we channel ball through him but this makes us slow in build up and very easy to defend against. He also loses ball a great deal.

QPR match is a beauty about 120 touches from memory, they allowed him to have ball as they knew it generally amounts to nothing.

Bannan ain't going no where.

Bruce has been a big admirer of his for ages. 

Selling him to Villa is highly unlikely to be on his priority list.

How many small players has Bruce signed in managerial career? he normally signs brutes in defensive midfield.

14 minutes ago, Quist said:

How many small players has Bruce signed in managerial career? he normally signs brutes in defensive midfield.

100% right mate and it's what you need in this league to progress and that's power in midfield..which we all knew after the play off final 

25 minutes ago, Groundhopping Owl said:

Please God no. I've seen him a few times up here, the guy is an accident waiting to happen.

Never seen him play, but that was more or less what I have been told by two people.

30 minutes ago, Quist said:

His stats show he touches ball a lot and creates very little by comparison. It is true we channel ball through him but this makes us slow in build up and very easy to defend against. He also loses ball a great deal.

QPR match is a beauty about 120 touches from memory, they allowed him to have ball as they knew it generally amounts to nothing.

29 minutes ago, Quist said:

All true.

But if Bruce could have signed Bannan he would have done. So be interesting to see how he uses him. Because he clearly likes something about him.

He needs the right people around him and Hutchinson and Reach ain't it.

Not in a three man midfield anyway. 

Was better when Pelupessy was next to him. But it's impossible to drop Hutchinson as we need that cover in there so I would almost be tempted to put him on the left again like Carlos did.    All his best work for us always comes down the left normally anyway and that's gives us the opportunity then to bring in a better partner for hutch if Pelupessy ain't up to it.

Also allows Reach to go wide right and cut in and have a proper two upfront.

Reach  Hutch   Pelupessy/new  Bannan  

Fletcher  Forestieri/Joao 

We Probably played our best football under Carlos when we did that.

Wallace  Hutchinson   Lee   Bannan 

Hooper     Forestieri