OFFICIAL January 2019 Transfer Rumours Thread

One player I follow for a long time, and put his name forward in thread like this years ago, while he was playing for Inverness CT is Aberdeen captain Graham Shinnie.

At 27 he is in his best footballing years, player that is at Aberdeen touted of as too valuable to "vaste" at left back, so they are playing him in central midfield. From what I've heard he is a fantastic character, and great at heliping out younger players find their way.

If it wasn't for emergence of players like Robertson and Tierney I'm sure that he would have been a mainstay in Scotland national side by now.

With him and young Penney filling that left back spot, I would consider that position sorted out. Big bonus is that Shinnie can do more then fill in as central midfielder as well.

Would love to hear Jon's opinion on him as he is expert in Scotish football.

3 hours ago, gurujuan said:

Definitely, we can’t leave it all until the summer

This is my thinking also.

I understand, that FFP restrictions will limit us in this window. But, with the very real prospect of releasing a large chuck of our senior squad in the summer, we could be left needing to find 9-10 players in the summer. And judging by the way we dally around with our transfer business, if we can take the pressure of somewhat in this window, by signing two or three players who could well be here next season, will make me feel a whole lot easier about the monumental task ahead. 

We have tended to wait until late August to finalise a lot of our key transfer deals in the past. Next season, we simply will not be afforded that luxury. We'll need players, in for pre-season, because with the out of contract players long gone, we'll have little squad left. 

Easier said than done...but in an ideal world, I'd like to think Bruce and Chansiri will be taking that potential difficulty into account. 

2 hours ago, BIG D said:

I mentioned Kevin MacDonald last. Ought and the more I think about it I reckon he’d be a good signing (if fit & if available!)  Him, Bannan and Sam would be decent in the middle. 

He's certainly a "type" of player we've been craving for seasons now.

But, he's now 30 years old, and he's been out with an ankle injury for the majority of this season. 

It could easily be another signing that goes the way of Abdi, Jones, Boyd etc. And you could argue the signs are there. 

On the other hand, you can't just blindly disregard any player because of their age and a recent injury. David McGoldrick at United is a prime example of that. But it's weighing the risks out with the rewards, and I'd imagine McDonald wouldn't come here on a short contract, very much incentivised by appearances, and so the risks become much greater. 

1 hour ago, malek said:

One player I follow for a long time, and put his name forward in thread like this years ago, while he was playing for Inverness CT is Aberdeen captain Graham Shinnie.

At 27 he is in his best footballing years, player that is at Aberdeen touted of as too valuable to "vaste" at left back, so they are playing him in central midfield. From what I've heard he is a fantastic character, and great at heliping out younger players find their way.

If it wasn't for emergence of players like Robertson and Tierney I'm sure that he would have been a mainstay in Scotland national side by now.

With him and young Penney filling that left back spot, I would consider that position sorted out. Big bonus is that Shinnie can do more then fill in as central midfielder as well.

Out of contract in the summer as well according to transfermarkt.com

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Quist said:

There are others who are currently out of first team at Premier clubs. Rojo at Man Utd, Hoedt at Southampton and Oxford at West Ham.

I think Burn would be best option but he is regularly on bench at Brighton so not sure how available he would be. Some of these have not seen a lot of so difficult to judge.

Because substantial rebuilding is required I think if possible we should try and do some changes now to try and bed some in. It always takes a few games when major rebuilding and if possible we need good start next year.

Not sure where you're getting your info from but he's yet to make a Brighton squad according to transfermarkt.com.

Granted, he's only been back for two games. 

He was signed for £3m in the summer from Wigan, and loaned straight back to them until January. He's back at Brighton now, but it wouldn't surprise me, if come the end of the month, Brighton look to loan him back out again if Duffy, Dunk and Balogun stay fit and ahead of him in the pecking order. 

Edited by frastheowl

2 hours ago, malek said:

Agreed, Shinnie is a very good footballer and a player that Wednesday should definitely be looking at. Aberdeen’s best player, he makes them tick, and their fans idolise him. I think he is nailed on to leave at the end of the season for a bigger contract somewhere.

5 hours ago, Quist said:

There are others who are currently out of first team at Premier clubs. Rojo at Man Utd, Hoedt at Southampton and Oxford at West Ham.

I think Burn would be best option but he is regularly on bench at Brighton so not sure how available he would be. Some of these have not seen a lot of so difficult to judge.

Because substantial rebuilding is required I think if possible we should try and do some changes now to try and bed some in. It always takes a few games when major rebuilding and if possible we need good start next year.

Hahahaha

*Logs out*

Guest wilyfox
14 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

Rojo is on about 200k a week.

And we probably wouldn't be able to afford his transport here.

WTF:

That's a snip compared to David Jones' wage. 

2 hours ago, Plonk said:

Think we may be in for a surprise how quickly the rebuilding will start.

It's clear, especially after the reality check against an in form Hull, that we need to start rebuilding. The past couple of seasons have shown that our strength in depth isn't strong enough and even with everyone fit the two play off seasons showed we ain't good enough to go up.

Our recruitment as been so poor ever since Wembley. Ever since then we've needed more pace, creativity and strength in the team. I would start rebuilding now, in order for players to settle and gel. Bruce needs to be allowed to build his own team and to do things his way. We don't have the players to effectively play how a Steve Bruce team usually plays.

We need to start selling players and operating smarter by bringing in sellable assets and at the same time adding the attributes we lack, such as pace; dynamism, power, directness, creativity and more goals, etc.

• Thanks 1