OFFICIAL January 2019 Transfer Rumours Thread

1 hour ago, dnhc said:

after today, I think that too.

one or two older experienced players won't kill you, it appears half a side full of them will.

they were at their peak together, and they're getting old together too, bought and set up to play just the one way.

with a club and manager that couldn't buy 'upcoming' players from lower league clubs, as they knew nothing of them.

'carlos had a dream'. wednesday had a nightmare, and we've far from finished with it.

In addition to the above. The tactics in Championship have changed it is now more high tempo stuff and high pressing style. Our midfield can not cope with this as they are either not proper midfield players or do not have equipment to cope with fast tempo in your face stuff. The other style is quick counter attacks and we currently have no one in defensive line up who can cope with this. When centre midfield is slow and central defence are slow you are vulnerable. Fancy passing is no good if you can not win ball or are easily disposed and no option to break out through pace. Reach is one of best athletes we have but he is not real quick  and he is no hard tackling midfield player either. The rest are slow by any comparison. Just seen interview with Agnew, he complemented Westwood on 3 or 4 first half saves and said no plus points in anything else. This is accurate on Snooty ratings none deserved more than a 5 and some as low as 3 on todays showing. Over Christmas period because of number of games some teams reduced high commitment levels in games either by design or players could not do this which gave our slower players a chance. Boyd today looked shocking because tempo was back up and he looked way short, where he had been able to cope when pace not so high. He was not only one most of team struggle in high tempo games and we need players who can play at this level and also have ability to tackle. It is not easy identifying such players but it can be done and for us to improve we need to have major turn around. A complete change of central midfield and two new full backs are a necessity. We also need a winger forward with real pace to allow us to force teams back. 

45 minutes ago, Quist said:

In addition to the above. The tactics in Championship have changed it is now more high tempo stuff and high pressing style. Our midfield can not cope with this as they are either not proper midfield players or do not have equipment to cope with fast tempo in your face stuff. The other style is quick counter attacks and we currently have no one in defensive line up who can cope with this. When centre midfield is slow and central defence are slow you are vulnerable. Fancy passing is no good if you can not win ball or are easily disposed and no option to break out through pace. Reach is one of best athletes we have but he is not real quick  and he is no hard tackling midfield player either. The rest are slow by any comparison. Just seen interview with Agnew, he complemented Westwood on 3 or 4 first half saves and said no plus points in anything else. This is accurate on Snooty ratings none deserved more than a 5 and some as low as 3 on todays showing. Over Christmas period because of number of games some teams reduced high commitment levels in games either by design or players could not do this which gave our slower players a chance. Boyd today looked shocking because tempo was back up and he looked way short, where he had been able to cope when pace not so high. He was not only one most of team struggle in high tempo games and we need players who can play at this level and also have ability to tackle. It is not easy identifying such players but it can be done and for us to improve we need to have major turn around. A complete change of central midfield and two new full backs are a necessity. We also need a winger forward with real pace to allow us to force teams back. 

we need to start by building a defence.

9 minutes ago, dnhc said:

we need to start by building a defence.

That should include defensive midfield element as we currently lack this and it allows players to run at defence. We need to win ball in this area which we rarely do cleanly.

7 minutes ago, Quist said:

That should include defensive midfield element as we currently lack this and it allows players to run at defence. We need to win ball in this area which we rarely do cleanly.

I agree, I was just about to expand my post by adding we needed to include a defensive m/f anchor, perhaps even two at times on away grounds against good opposition.

when, or should I say IF we get that solid then it maybe we need only one or two goals to win, and any side not capable of scoring for the majority of games in a season can't be considered true promotion candidates (unless they're 'uddersfield).

7 minutes ago, dnhc said:

I agree, I was just about to expand my post by adding we needed to include a defensive m/f anchor, perhaps even two at times on away grounds against good opposition.

when, or should I say IF we get that solid then it maybe we need only one or two goals to win, and any side not capable of scoring for the majority of games in a season can't be considered true promotion candidates (unless they're 'uddersfield).

Spot on 4-2-3-1 becomes an option especially away from home or against better teams. Forestieri Reach, Joao and an other up front would allow a goal scoring threat up front but also a high work rate from Reach and FF to keep opponents occupied. 

Our problems have not been addressed for 3 years.

Instead of actually making us stronger we signed striker after striker, foreign imports not up to it and past it players living off former glories.

Hopefully we can finally address the glaringly obvious flaws this side had which was for the world to see in May 2016.

A strong cool headed centre half to accompany Lees- Venancio? Instead we made the Van Aken signing permanent. FFS.

New full backs. Pudil was clearly on his way out. We sold our best right back in Hunt. Still not addressed. We signed Fox who isn't good enough and still persist with Liam Palmer who is painfully inconsistent for a right back, a position famed for its reliability.

A midfield player. Where the money should have been spent. Somebody to add some steel next to the skilful and energetic Bannan and Lee. We fail to resign Lopez who was a damn sight better than Jones and Abdi- two players who were on their way down after achieving promotion- Wednesday is a good final pay check for players not quite up to the Premier League, Horrendous signings. This position still not addressed, Pelupessy a trier but again not good enough. Onomah, not a given a fair shot but even if he did well here was never going to be a long term player for us.

Wingers. We probably needed a left sided player, for me Bannan was better in the middle not wide left. AREA ADDRESSED. Adam Reach fits the role perfectly, but for some reason we continue to not play him in his natural position. A few screamers aside he's been shockingly misused at Wednesday. Wallace had one more season in him. Needed a younger model with a bit more pace down the right. We fail to lineup a replacement in 2016.We do in 2017 in George Boyd a hard working player who for me has been poor but played in the wrong positions. Not what was needed, another 33 year old has been who's career was on the slide rather than the up. Poor signing.

Strikers. Ok after Wembley we probably needed two. Hooper question marks over his fitness and Nuhiu probably needed moving on (he is still here and was offered an extension, mental). We sign Fletcher, ok I don't mind that. Not prolific but works hard and if we get a quick pacy striker playing off him it could be perfect. January 2017 we sign Winnall and Rhodes. Winnall great, good hungry player with a point to prove. Rhodes? Mental signing, for a big fee. It was a disastrous signing and has stopped us from improving areas in the squad which need pretty urgent attention. We didn't need him but we signed him and it's gone horribly wrong. Karma perhaps.

So now we find ourselves in 2019. For me the side is weaker now than it was in 2016, which is shocking mis-management. This is the mess Steve Bruce has to deal with. Not only are we lacking in quality and a balanced squad. This squad is mentally weak and fragile. He has a big job on his hands and I hope he knows what he's walking into. This won't be easy. Good luck Steve, massive wake up call today. 

Edited by SallyCinnamon
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Instead of actually making us stronger we signed striker after striker, foreign imports not up to it and past it players living off former glories.

Hopefully we can finally address the glaringly obvious flaws this side had which was for the world to see in May 2016.

A strong cool headed centre half to accompany Lees- Venancio? Instead we made the Van Aken signing permanent. FFS.

New full backs. Pudil was clearly on his way out. We sold our best right back in Hunt. Still not addressed. We signed Fox who isn't good enough and still persist with Liam Palmer who is painfully inconsistent for a right back, a position famed for its reliability.

A midfield player. Where the money should have been spent. Somebody to add some steel next to the skilful and energetic Bannan and Lee. We fail to resign Lopez who was a damn sight better than Jones and Abdi- two players who were on their way down after achieving promotion- Wednesday is a good final pay check for players not quite up to the Premier League, Horrendous signings. This position still not addressed, Pelupessy a trier but again not good enough. Onomah, not a given a fair shot but even if he did well here was never going to be a long term player for us.

Wingers. We probably needed a left sided player, for me Bannan was better in the middle not wide left. AREA ADDRESSED. Adam Reach fits the role perfectly, but for some reason we continue to not play him in his natural position. A few screamers aside he's been shockingly misused at Wednesday. Wallace had one more season in him. Needed a younger model with a bit more pace down the right. We fail to lineup a replacement in 2016.We do in 2017 in George Boyd a hard working player who for me has been poor but played in the wrong positions. Not what was needed, another 33 year old has been who's career was on the slide rather than the up. Poor signing.

Strikers. Ok after Wembley we probably needed two. Hooper question marks over his fitness and Nuhiu probably needed moving on (he is still here and was offered an extension, mental). We sign Fletcher, ok I don't mind that. Not prolific but works hard and if we get a quick pacy striker playing off him it could be perfect. January 2017 we sign Winnall and Rhodes. Winnall great, good hungry player with a point to prove. Rhodes? Mental signing, for a big fee. It was a disastrous signing and has stopped us from improving areas in the squad which need pretty urgent attention. We didn't need him but we signed him and it's gone horribly wrong. Karma perhaps.

So now we find ourselves in 2019. For me the side is weaker now than it was in 2016, which is shocking mis-management. This is the mess Steve Bruce has to deal with. Not only are we lacking in quality and a balanced squad. This squad is mentally weak and fragile. He has a big job on his hands and I hope he knows what he's walking into. This won't be easy. Good luck Steve, massive wake up call today. 

Oh and there is the FFP on top of that.

14 hours ago, Quist said:

We need players with pace, energy and drive. All over the pitch.

20 minutes ago, davey_wells said:

Ipswich, of all teams, are looking likely to get Alan Judge.

Ben Marshall looking likely to re-join Millwall.

Two players who would improve our first 11 no end... are we even in the market?

Given how good Judge is, I can only imagine he’s on his way to Ipswich because he’s never really recovered from that awful injury he had.

Given our own problems with signing injury prone players on big contracts, I wouldn’t be happy if we were in for Judge.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

This but Bannan can't play centre midfield. It's what's helping make our defence look worse (if that's possible).

Also, can't understand why Bruce has come here, final pay day?

When FFP has finished with us this summer next season it will be amazing if we stay up.

• Like 1

Just now, Malkmus said:

This but Bannan can't play centre midfield. It's what's helping make our defence look worse (if that's possible).

Also, can't understand why Bruce has come here, final pay day?

When FFP has finished with us this summer next season it will be amazing if we stay up.

It will be fine, Bruce wouldnt have come here if all wasnt rosy. Apparently......

52 minutes ago, billyblack said:

It will be fine, Bruce wouldnt have come here if all wasnt rosy. Apparently......

He wouldn’t. Been saying this for a while.  All will become clearer before the end of the season.. I’m sure