OFFICIAL January 2019 Transfer Rumours Thread

1 hour ago, Great Big Galaa said:

We've got a lot of strikers true but are they good enough to take us to where we want to go? I agree we need to improve the service but do we have a striker currently on our books that will genuinely score 18-25 goals? I think not?

That type of player costs money cannot afford.

18 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/sheffield-wednesday-target-defensive-recruits-in-january-transfer-window-1-9529058

Sheffield Wednesday are seeking to bolster their defensive ranks in the January transfer window, The Star understands.
It is believed the Owls, who appointed Steve Bruce as their new manager last week, are keen on strengthening their full-back options.

YUSSSS!!! Music to ma ears. 

Mine too, but it’s just a rehashed article, we knew we were after full backs, and a centre back We also knew about the failed bid to bring Holgate here a week ago

Guest wilyfox
Just now, gurujuan said:

Mine too, but it’s just a rehashed article, we knew we were after full backs, and a centre back We also knew about the failed bid to bring Holgate here a week ago

We knew right-back had been identified, but Howson's article suggests left-back too. Important we upgrade both sides, for me. We made top 6 with Hunt & Pudil the main men. Really don't think we'd get there again with Fox & Palmer. Steady at best. 

4 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

We knew right-back had been identified, but Howson's article suggests left-back too. Important we upgrade both sides, for me. We made top 6 with Hunt & Pudil the main men. Really don't think we'd get there again with Fox & Palmer. Steady at best. 

agreed, I see hunt is provided plenty of assists for Brizzle now. I am not saying Hunt was the answer but we've gone backwards in that department

1 hour ago, Great Big Galaa said:

I think he'll get an opportunity when he returns here, Bruce seems to rate him?

It depends on whether we can afford to keep him. I don't doubt he can score goals if played in team set up to feed him but if we can't afford his wages or to amortise his transfer fee we might have to move him on.

1 hour ago, wilyfox said:

https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/sheffield-wednesday-target-defensive-recruits-in-january-transfer-window-1-9529058

Sheffield Wednesday are seeking to bolster their defensive ranks in the January transfer window, The Star understands.
It is believed the Owls, who appointed Steve Bruce as their new manager last week, are keen on strengthening their full-back options.

YUSSSS!!! Music to ma ears. 

Great news. We have needed to improve our full backs for as long as I can remember. A new CB, midfielder or 2 and a forward would be nice also :-) maybe that’s being a little to greedy though. 

2 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

Great news. We have needed to improve our full backs for as long as I can remember. A new CB, midfielder or 2 and a forward would be nice also :-) maybe that’s being a little to greedy though. 

We need to get on with it then, because if we’re bringing in half a dozen new starters, then we’ll need to get at least that many out. Personally, I’d like to see some of the youngsters going out on as well, so maybe 15-16 deals to be done, and only three weeks left to do them

3 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

We need to get on with it then, because if we’re bringing in half a dozen new starters, then we’ll need to get at least that many out. Personally, I’d like to see some of the youngsters going out on as well, so maybe 15-16 deals to be done, and only three weeks left to do them

I agree, players like Baker, Penney and Preston who have all been around first team squad this season might see benefit of going out on loan to league one or two sides whilst end of season. 

1 minute ago, bradowl said:

I agree, players like Baker, Penney and Preston who have all been around first team squad this season might see benefit of going out on loan to league one or two sides whilst end of season. 

We seem to have stopped loaning youngsters out and we don't bring in  young loan premier League players either like most other championship teams do , why not? 

1 hour ago, wilyfox said:

Last five games maybe suggests otherwise. Matias, Fletcher or Nuhiu could finish we would have probably won the lot.

Agree we need better. But since Jos has gone Palmer and Fox have really stepped up to the mark.

Concluding that many deals is unlikely, but if we’re to pull it off, we’ll need to see a degree of competence, not seen at Hillsborough before. Yes we achieved it in the first two summers, with more ins than outs, but we had 4 months, and a decent budget to do it

4 hours ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

Mackay-Steven would be a great signing imo. In all honesty, doubt hed come, but of he did he'd replace Reach in our team.

For me, we need to sign a RB, LB, a winger and a Defensive mid first before we go for any other positions. Not liking these reports were in for a striker. We don't need another one, we just need better service.

Two years ago we brought in Winnall and Rhodes. Whilst half the fan base were jumping for joy, the rest were like FFS it's the supply we need, not more strikers: Hourihane not Winnall/Rhodes. Two years later...

Guest wilyfox
31 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

Last five games maybe suggests otherwise. Matias, Fletcher or Nuhiu could finish we would have probably won the lot.

Agree we need better. But since Jos has gone Palmer and Fox have really stepped up to the mark.

They've shored up defensively in recent games, but what about their contribution t'other end of the pitch? Full-backs have a big role to play in the modern game. I personally feel that's how dem blavdes are going so well at the moment. They're nowt special, but they overload well in wide areas and put balls into the box. It's working for them. 

14 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

They've shored up defensively in recent games, but what about their contribution t'other end of the pitch? Full-backs have a big role to play in the modern game. I personally feel that's how dem blavdes are going so well at the moment. They're nowt special, but they overload well in wide areas and put balls into the box. It's working for them. 

Always thought there biggest problem was defending so glad they have at least got better at that. 

It's decision making that needs to be better for them both when attacking.

Like maybe putting a few crosses in the box early instead of the easy short ball back for Bannan to do it.

But at least they have both shown they can cut it to a degree at this level lately and that they are nowhere near as bad as what we all thought they were.

But ultimately we are going to need better.

2 hours ago, Tamworthowl said:

Two years ago we brought in Winnall and Rhodes. Whilst half the fan base were jumping for joy, the rest were like FFS it's the supply we need, not more strikers: Hourihane not Winnall/Rhodes. Two years later...

Yup.

Same thing will happen again I fear.

• Like 2