OFFICIAL January 2019 Transfer Rumours Thread

30 minutes ago, Albertowl said:

FF is not a 10 and never will be. A 10 needs to create chances for others. FF is a striker - far too greedy to be a 10. 

16 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

He is, in so much as he plays between the lines We are a totally different side when Forestieri plays, but he needs to play with players who are on the same wavelength

13 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

Think he would rather shoot than play a ball through for a Matias run. 

David Silva plays the pass 10 times out of 10.

FF is not a 10. Sorry gurujuan but it's not FF who's wavelength others need to be on, it's the teams wavelength FF has to be on. Albertowl and Pazowl55 are right on the money. FF is far too unpredictable.

I always cite a game from last season, the one where he lost the ball, recovered with a slide tackle and nailed it from 25 yards  Reading maybe? That was a prime example because we had two on the overlap with bodies in the box and he chose to go on a dribble into defenders. It was a fluke of a goal. I said at the time if you do that 20 times a season it'd rob us of 10 points. The Brightons, Middlesboroughs, Wolves, Cardiff just worked to a model of create chances, convert chances. Its about consistency, feed the hopper with lots of grain to get the right result. Knockaert, had flair but also end product. Same with Neves.

Out left of a three is where he's best. Drifting in occupying and pulling the full back and a centre mid to cover. Leaves space for an attacking full back to exploit which since Pudil first season we haven't had. Put Bannan at 10, but I'd prefer someone who has a better goal ratio. It's what Abdi was bought for but never gave. 

5 minutes ago, flo said:

I don't think David Silva is comparable to anyone in this league. He has Aguero to pass to FFS while Forestieri has Nuhiu Fletcher or Joao

David Silva is hardly comparable to anyone in the premier league.

My point is more that a proper number 10 would always play the pass. 

Forestieri has a strikers instinct so wouldn't.

He could do a job as a number 10 though.

But the best example of a number 10 in this league by a country mile is Jack Grealish.

Personally I would prefer us to look at it as a 433 and play 3 proper midfielders and 3 proper attacking players in the front 3.

Think it makes it more straightforward.  

We in effect played 4231 yesterday with Reach as the central one of the three but it just doesn’t work.

The midfield has not got proper creative midfielders in it and the front 3, with Boyd and to some extent Fletcher just doesn’t have the goals.

31 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

But the best example of a number 10 in this league by a country mile is Jack Grealish.

That’s interesting because I simply see Grealish as a very good attacking midfield player.

Villa play 3 proper midfielders.

Hourihane as a more defensive one, with McGinn and Grealish as the two attacking ones.

We need to do the same.

Equally I don’t see Silva as a number 10 either.

City’s best team has 3 proper midfielders, Fernandinho as the defensive one, with Silva and DeBruyne as the two attacking ones.

1 minute ago, oldishowl said:

That’s interesting because I simply see Grealish as a very good attacking midfield player.

Hourihane as a more defensive one, with McGinn and Grealish as the two attacking ones.

We need to do the same.

City’s best team has 3 proper midfielders, Fernandinho as the defensive one, with Silva and DeBruyne as the two attacking ones.

For me numbers 10s are more about what they do with the ball when in the positions they take up just behind the strikers. they will always look for the killer ball then the goal and are all always seen as the playmaker. 

(Bannan best example we got.)

Ozil.  Silva.  Iniesta.  Never get you a load of goals but always looking for the assist.

Silva has uped his goal tally since his role has changed away from a number 10.

Hazard the same. more goals now he ain't a number 10.

Coutinho used to be a good number 10 for Liverpool. 

Ozil maybe the only natural number 10 left. 

They are a dying breed because number 10s create you goals not score them. and now you must do both.

51 minutes ago, spike1867 said:

FF is not a 10. Sorry gurujuan but it's not FF who's wavelength others need to be on, it's the teams wavelength FF has to be on. Albertowl and Pazowl55 are right on the money. FF is far too unpredictable.

I always cite a game from last season, the one where he lost the ball, recovered with a slide tackle and nailed it from 25 yards  Reading maybe? That was a prime example because we had two on the overlap with bodies in the box and he chose to go on a dribble into defenders. It was a fluke of a goal. I said at the time if you do that 20 times a season it'd rob us of 10 points. The Brightons, Middlesboroughs, Wolves, Cardiff just worked to a model of create chances, convert chances. Its about consistency, feed the hopper with lots of grain to get the right result. Knockaert, had flair but also end product. Same with Neves.

Out left of a three is where he's best. Drifting in occupying and pulling the full back and a centre mid to cover. Leaves space for an attacking full back to exploit which since Pudil first season we haven't had. Put Bannan at 10, but I'd prefer someone who has a better goal ratio. It's what Abdi was bought for but never gave. 

Bang on the money. Never in a million years is FF a no,10, he's not a play maker and is too undisciplined and greedy, that's why he's far better on the left of a front three where he can use his skills and turn the selfishness and undisciplined nature into a massive positive.

1 hour ago, pazowl55 said:

Pablo Hernandez from Leeds United is my pick as the best #10 in the league.

52 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

We need to do the same.

I’ve been saying for years, we should play 4-3-3. I’d play Reach and Forestieri as wide attackers. Hutch would be my defensive midfielder, Bannan the playmaker and Onomah would be my midfield runner. Obviously Kieran Lee would play this role if he was fit. 

4-3-3 suits our key players, Forestieri and Bannan.

6 hours ago, Bouncing Owl said:

I understand that Bruce is a 4-2-3-1 man. If he is going to play this formation, would you like us to go and sign a proper number 10 to play behind the striker. I see Reach as a wide attacker and he hasn’t the skill set to play the number 10 role in my opinion. I haven’t got anybody in mind tho. 

To play that way effectively, I would imagine we'd need to upgrade our full backs/wing backs; bring in at least a commanding centre back or midfield beast, another dynamic attacking midfielder and a better version of Joao to lead the line. In a funny way pace, power and dynamism, are the things we've lacked ever since Wembley and Bruce would probably know that. Unless we're smart with loans and frees, I would expect us to play to our strengths and rebuild in the summer.

5 minutes ago, Mr. Wednesday said:

To play that way effectively, I would imagine we'd need to upgrade our full backs/wing backs; bring in at least a commanding centre back or midfield beast, another dynamic attacking midfielder and a better version of Joao to lead the line. In a funny way pace, power and dynamism, are the things we've lacked ever since Wembley and Bruce would probably know that. Unless we're smart with loans and frees, I would expect us to play to our strengths and rebuild in the summer.

Agree with all that. I would prefer us to go 4-3-3 but suppose that’s another discussion point. That formation certainly suits Bannan and Forestieri. It’s up to Bruce to look at us and hopefully get a system that suits us and hopefully his recruitment will fill in the gaps. You’re right - that Hull team had the right balance for promotion and they ultimately achieved their objective. I thought we were the best technical team in that division that year, however we lacked physicality and pace and we still haven’t addressed it.

Edited by Bouncing Owl

1 minute ago, Bouncing Owl said:

Agree with all that. I would prefer us to go 4-3-3 but suppose that’s another discussion point. That formation certainly suits Bannan and Forestieri. It’s up to Bruce to look at us and hopefully get a system that suits us and hopefully his recruitment will fill in the gaps. You’re right - that Hull team has the right balance for promotion and they achieved their objective. I thought we were the best technical team in that division that year, however we lacked physicality and pace and we still haven’t addressed it.

Yep, think we have to get the balance right between playing to our strengths but also addressing our weaknesses. It might be asking too much to get that balance right in this window before Bruce gets his first game in charge. 4-3-3 or a variant of it would be smart to get the most out of our better players but I would consider various formations before the season ends (after safety is guarenteed) or just keep it simple whilst we're picking up points. The main changes and rebuild should begin in the summer. The remainder of the season and this month in particular gives us an opportunity to impress Bruce and work towards next season.

9 minutes ago, sherlyegg said:

Just heard Carroll from West Ham....possible. Though Newcastle remain favs because of exchange deal...

I would be surprised not a Bruce type of forward he likes them quick and nimble, therefore would be a surprise.

11 minutes ago, sherlyegg said:

Just heard Carroll from West Ham....possible. Though Newcastle remain favs because of exchange deal...

Would be perfect for us. Brilliant but injured for 8 out of ten games