OFFICIAL January 2019 Transfer Rumours Thread

21 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

Jack Hunt was on a smidge under £20k. We know McGugan was in the high teens. 

You can extrapolate from that that your guesstimates of player's wages are way off the mark... probably close to half what they should be.

Where are these figures from ? 

Some fans had questioned whether Steve Bruce’s appointment as manager at Hillsborough could lead to the former Ipswich Town man being recalled by his parent club.

However, Farke insists that isn’t the case.

When asked at his press conference if Rhodes could be on his way back to Yorkshire, Farke replied; “No chance. There is no option for that. Jordan is here for next few months.”

1 minute ago, Bluesteel said:

Josh Maja has rejected a new deal at the Mackems.

Hes very raw but reminds me of João in that once the ball is into his feet he looks very talented and is a great finisher too. 

Would imagine he’ll be snapped up by a top flight club

1 hour ago, hugeowl said:

Where are these figures from ? 

Jack Hunt is as a result of three completely independent sources all giving the same wage value... £18k p/w

McGugan was posted on here several times shortly after he joined by the more reputable posters... the same figure kept coming up repeatedly throughout his time here.

I remember you having quite a lot of negative things to say about posters, such as myself, that attempted to discuss player wages calling them all fantasy, made up, conjecture and whatnot...  ... ... and then our accounts got released with c.£20m losses, a figure entirely consistent with the wages that people like myself were hearing and conveying.

Of course, there are loads of inaccurate figures that are thrown out on here (£40k p/w for Fletcher for example, which when I first saw on here I literally laughed at because it was so obviously hyper-inflated), but some are pretty close to hitting the nail on the head. If you don't want to believe the figures I'm posting, fair enough, I can understand why. Randomer on internet posting numbers and insisting their fact is not exactly grounds for a solid argument or necessarily a reliable source. But the figures I've always been told certainly accurately reflect our operating losses... whereas the claims, for example, that these figures are double what the wages are in reality would mean our losses should be several million lower than what they actually are.

Certainly based on the wages I'm led to believe we're paying, that £30m wage bill didn't come as a surprise. Certainly if it's closer to £10k per week average per player as Birley is suggesting, then the 34 players that made Championship appearances last season would have cost us ~£17.5m. Obviously we have more staff, youth players etc to pay too, but not to the tune of another £12m or so per year. Reality is, average first-teamer wage has to be significantly more than £10k. Reasonable conservative guesstimate would be pushing it into the low £20m per year bracket, which means another 25% on top of that. Bish bash bosh, average wage of those 30-odd players is probably in the (very) low teens. Then obviously you'll have the youth products paid  less than that average, and then the experienced pros (like ~100 Champ appearances Jack Hunt) paid a little more than that average. And all of a sudden, the figure of £18k is entirely consistent with what came out in the accounts.

Only way it isn't the case is if we're paying "other staff" such as scouts, managers, coaches, tea ladies etc... comes to £12m per year. And I'm just not convinced the club pay that much of a premium to the majority of these staff members, nor do we have the quite literally hundreds of these sorts of staff on the books. 

2 hours ago, frastheowl said:

I fear this happiness at Madine signing for United, could well come back and truly bite us on the arse on a Monday night in early March.

I remember when he played against us for Bolton in a night game at Hillsborough a couple of years ago, we won 3-2 but Madine scored one and absolutely bullied Sasso and Loovens, we could not cope with him.Their left winger -  Silva (think he was on loan from Arsenal) was also brilliant that night, he looked way above Championship level.

48 minutes ago, Walt said:

I remember when he played against us for Bolton in a night game at Hillsborough a couple of years ago, we won 3-2 but Madine scored one and absolutely bullied Sasso and Loovens, we could not cope with him.Their left winger -  Silva (think he was on loan from Arsenal) was also brilliant that night, he looked way above Championship level.

Yeah he was a real handful that night.

And in United's set up, where the majority of their play comes through their wing backs (and overlapping centre halves), he'll thrive on balls in the box. 

Whether it'll be enough to take them over the line, I'm not too sure, and whether it'll be worth the risk from a personality perspective, is something we'll only find out after the event. 

But, as far as signings go for United, that they can afford and attract, Madine isn't a bad option. The talk of Defoe was fanciful. And unnecessary, considering Sharp's form. They need another option, and Madine gives them that.

58 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

Jack Hunt is as a result of three completely independent sources all giving the same wage value... £18k p/w

McGugan was posted on here several times shortly after he joined by the more reputable posters... the same figure kept coming up repeatedly throughout his time here.

I remember you having quite a lot of negative things to say about posters, such as myself, that attempted to discuss player wages calling them all fantasy, made up, conjecture and whatnot...  ... ... and then our accounts got released with c.£20m losses, a figure entirely consistent with the wages that people like myself were hearing and conveying.

Of course, there are loads of inaccurate figures that are thrown out on here (£40k p/w for Fletcher for example, which when I first saw on here I literally laughed at because it was so obviously hyper-inflated), but some are pretty close to hitting the nail on the head. If you don't want to believe the figures I'm posting, fair enough, I can understand why. Randomer on internet posting numbers and insisting their fact is not exactly grounds for a solid argument or necessarily a reliable source. But the figures I've always been told certainly accurately reflect our operating losses... whereas the claims, for example, that these figures are double what the wages are in reality would mean our losses should be several million lower than what they actually are.

Certainly based on the wages I'm led to believe we're paying, that £30m wage bill didn't come as a surprise. Certainly if it's closer to £10k per week average per player as Birley is suggesting, then the 34 players that made Championship appearances last season would have cost us ~£17.5m. Obviously we have more staff, youth players etc to pay too, but not to the tune of another £12m or so per year. Reality is, average first-teamer wage has to be significantly more than £10k. Reasonable conservative guesstimate would be pushing it into the low £20m per year bracket, which means another 25% on top of that. Bish bash bosh, average wage of those 30-odd players is probably in the (very) low teens. Then obviously you'll have the youth products paid  less than that average, and then the experienced pros (like ~100 Champ appearances Jack Hunt) paid a little more than that average. And all of a sudden, the figure of £18k is entirely consistent with what came out in the accounts.

Only way it isn't the case is if we're paying "other staff" such as scouts, managers, coaches, tea ladies etc... comes to £12m per year. And I'm just not convinced the club pay that much of a premium to the majority of these staff members, nor do we have the quite literally hundreds of these sorts of staff on the books. 

So you don't know , dress it up all you like , its guesswork as usual 

And the part about " the more reputable posters" lol

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, frastheowl said:

Yeah he was a real handful that night.

And in United's set up, where the majority of their play comes through their wing backs (and overlapping centre halves), he'll thrive on balls in the box. 

Whether it'll be enough to take them over the line, I'm not too sure, and whether it'll be worth the risk from a personality perspective, is something we'll only find out after the event. 

But, as far as signings go for United, that they can afford and attract, Madine isn't a bad option. The talk of Defoe was fanciful. And unnecessary, considering Sharp's form. They need another option, and Madine gives them that.

I'd have thought they'd have gone for someone with blistering pace as they seem to lack that. Madine seems a risky signing given his background but if you could take that out of the equation then he (to my mind) makes them better. The piggies I know would love to sign Joao. 

3 minutes ago, Walt said:

I'd have thought they'd have gone for someone with blistering pace as they seem to lack that. Madine seems a risky signing given his background but if you could take that out of the equation then he (to my mind) makes them better. The piggies I know would love to sign Joao. 

They are, they are signing Wildschut from Norwich, I believe

1 hour ago, StudentOwl said:

As I was saying earlier players wages now have gone through the roof. Even the below average players in our squad will all be on 5 to 10k a year. 

And we will be paying all or a very sizable chunk of the wages of any loan players we get aswell.

Which it's why it is paramount that we get some players out the door and get the squad down to a more manageable level. 

During Jos's time here we must have paid millions to players not to kick a ball.

We are up there with the biggest wage payers in this divison and we are doing it all without parachute payments.

We simply can not stock pile players anymore. Must get them out the door as they are not on the 5 and 10k's that a lot of people think they are they are on 10s and 20s. 

16 minutes ago, Walt said:

There's no chance Joao would ever move there. The financials are totally out.

Like Guru said, they're after Wildschut, who is a quick and built like a brick you know what (but not particularly good). 

Not sure pace is something they need with how they play. They play with such a high line, and press so high up, there's not too often space to exploit. They lack a big man for the ball in the box, and Madine is ideal for that. 

Mind you, they aren't doing bad with Sharp and McGoldrick up there at the minute. 

28 minutes ago, hugeowl said:

So you don't know , dress it up all you like , its guesswork as usual 

And the part about " the more reputable posters" lol

So the fact our wage bill was £30m, and the figures that you seem to subscribe to would leave us well short of that wage bill, is completely superfluous to the equation then?  

If you insist. When the c.£15m losses are announced in the next couple of months (My estimate is £12m, but I've actually under-guesstimated our losses for two consecutive years now, so I'm preparing for the worst), it will be something of a surprise to you I'm sure, considering we're only paying most of our players about £500,000 a year (£10k p/w). 

Edited by StudentOwl