Fitness

Bear in mind I’ve only been to one game this season and only seen highlights, but watching the Reading ones from yesterday it stood out at how we seemed to be there and ready to challenge every ball. 

Bannan challenged back a few times on the highlights, when the ref blew the final whistle Pelupessy was harrying like it was the first minute.

Do the players look a lot fitter at the games? 

It's no coincidence that we've a had a better start to the season after a proper fitness based pre season, even with key players still out with injuries, myself and others on here posted things we knew to be true regarding Carlos training regime and were told we were wrong and making things up, I think it's pretty obvious that the things we posted about were true .

Edited by Owl999
  • Like 1

Not really convinced that they are much fitter this year.  We seem to invite a lot of pressure in the last 20 minutes of games.  Probably because we have conceded and having to hang on.  I'd really like to see us go 2 up and keep the lead, without feeling like we are hanging on for dear life at the end.

30 minutes ago, CalmJimmers said:

Bear in mind I’ve only been to one game this season and only seen highlights, but watching the Reading ones from yesterday it stood out at how we seemed to be there and ready to challenge every ball. 

Bannan challenged back a few times on the highlights, when the ref blew the final whistle Pelupessy was harrying like it was the first minute.

Do the players look a lot fitter at the games? 

Loved JP's reaction when the ref blew the final whistle :biggrin:

25 minutes ago, Owl999 said:

It's no coincidence that we've a had a better start to the season after a proper fitness based pre season, even with key players still out with injuries, myself and others on here posted things we knew to be true regarding Carlos training regime and were told we were wrong and making things up, I think it's pretty obvious that the things we posted about were true .

With the amount BS on Owlstalk why wouldn't your stories be put in the BS bracket?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bolsterstone Owl said:

I think we're fit for us. 

Know a few ex pros who all say what's done in July effects the whole season particularly after December. They all hate pre season but say its got to be done. To be fair  said Boyd same last season. 

Doesn't seem to have done him much good tho' lol

Definitely, achieving good fitness during summer is key to managing a tight schedule of Championship matches and being mentally prepared to give it all during matches... caught a bit unawares first few matches, but after the Brentford match, it seems Jos has very much got their mentality sorted and now their improved fitness also shows during the matches.

To me we don't seem any fitter than in recent seasons. We have younger players that give us more energy but I think the formation change has helped most.

First few games we looked ponderous and mentally slow. Players look more comfortable in the 4-2-3-1, they know their role, the front 4 keep swapping positions. There's more movement now: not because we're fitter, but because there's more purpose and understanding. 

• Like 1

I thought a few of them were really fit last year but this year they are off the scale!

I don't know if its the new shirts? Maybe they are tighter? Could be that the shorts are slightly more revealing maybe? or maybe its just that we have a team of younger lads in their 20's?

I don't know know but all I can say is that this bunch of lads are so fit. I've never been so turned on. Its nice to finally have something that me and the missus have in common.

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Tamworthowl said:

To me we don't seem any fitter than in recent seasons. We have younger players that give us more energy but I think the formation change has helped most.

First few games we looked ponderous and mentally slow. Players look more comfortable in the 4-2-3-1, they know their role, the front 4 keep swapping positions. There's more movement now: not because we're fitter, but because there's more purpose and understanding. 

Fair point

Westwood for Dawson

Penney for Fox

Thorniley for Pudil

Joao for Hooper

Nuhiu for Fletcher

Takes quite a bit off our average age.

But I still think our players are all looking fitter and this will only increase.

I think where the pre season will start showing us around Christmas to the end of the season.this is when people start picking up injuries and look at how bad we was from this point until the run in. We will still need to use our squad which currently Jo’s is doing fine and we will no doubt pick up some injuries maybe even a long term one or two but not to the extent of last season where we could have fielded an injured 11 plus subs

if we take that period from November to March out where was dire and replace it with a fit squad and more consistancey we would no doubt of been challenging playoffs again, something I fully expect us to be doing this season