Happy Birthday Wednesday Ground - A Quintessential Joy!

28 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

What a beauty

What an old crumbling beauty

She's like someone's lovely nannan

Warm, welcoming and very occasionally unexplainably damp

But does your Nan get up to 25000 inside her once a fortnight for 45 mins each way and a pie and bovril before changing ends? 

• Haha 4

Just looking at that top photo Dunsby, any insight into how the kop mound was formed. Seem to recall reading something about supporters fetching household rubbish like fireash, broken crockery etc., to gradually form the hill. Must have been a monumental task. Can't remember much though about the article I read that in. 

1 hour ago, seanus said:

But does your Nan get up to 25000 inside her once a fortnight for 45 mins each way and a pie and bovril before changing ends? 

Nan's numbers are down so far this season around 22000. There is still plenty of space for her to accommodate another 11000 paying customers.

1 hour ago, daztheowl said:

Just looking at that top photo Dunsby, any insight into how the kop mound was formed. Seem to recall reading something about supporters fetching household rubbish like fireash, broken crockery etc., to gradually form the hill. Must have been a monumental task. Can't remember much though about the article I read that in. 

I think the household rubbish etc. was used to level out the pitch as there was a considerable slope originally, they didn't quite get it right as there is still the slope towards the Kop even today. But how the Kop was built up would be an interesting story.

Love your posts dunsby 

I really hope we eventually give the old girl a complete revamp, modernise her and allow her to to become our home for another 100 years and beyond

it will keep our heritage and history both good and bad but hopefully a new look will take away that awful cloud we have around it that tragically happened to those Liverpool fans new look new feel

9 hours ago, daztheowl said:

I think I have posted this before but you are correct - at various time the club appealed for "clean rubbish - ie rubble & bricks and items such as you mentioned etc to build up the bank.

This one dates from 15th August - so if they did use rubble to level the pitch this would be after that had been done and therfore I'd gusess for the spectator areas.

15-8-1899.jpeg.2b674232c438077f5428522e689a868c.jpeg

I read there was further works to build up the bank c. 1920 and I found another appral in the local paper :

1629706501_2331920.jpeg.5402dc0f3ed96e23e30ef59e108cf585.jpeg

I remember the 1st away match I went to at Donvcaster in 1976/or 77 - the terrace there seemed to be made up of ash and stones.

• Thanks 1