Some Sheffield Wednesday fans have forgotten how to enjoy wins

1 hour ago, TINKERBELL said:

That's ok as long as long term partner don't show up unexpected for them :biggrin:

Good idea Tinks, that way you can kick the Toyboy out without causing an embarrassing scene!

It's the nature of the support.

We have honeymoon period very season for the first 10 games then reality kicks in.

'We' revel in and have even celebrated our habitual mediocrity...it's the Wednesday way.

A big club, an old club, a club that up until the mid sixties had a distinguished track record.

Apart from a few relatively  successful seasons over the past 50 odd years, the quality of our support has perhaps had more of the spotlight than the team itself.

It takes a lot to get through the inevitable cynicism that has supporting this club has conditioned us to feel.

All social media has done is give a platform for the mentally scarred in addition to fuelling the instant gratification generation ably assisted by sky high ticket prices across the nation.

If we can sustain our current form until Christmas and put in a performance vs United then folk will want to get back on HMS Pisstheleague instead of providing rousing renditions of 'we're f***ing s.hit' and 'how crap must you be - we're winning away' at grounds across the Championship...

2 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

It's the entrenched opinion of those who simply can't be wrong and it's depressing. It's almost like because they predicted that Jos would fail they would prefer us losing so that they are proved right. Seriously, how sad is that?

Edited by Almat
So.
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Flat Owl said:

It's the nature of the support.

We have honeymoon period very season for the first 10 games then reality kicks in.

'We' revel in and have even celebrated our habitual mediocrity...it's the Wednesday way.

A big club, an old club, a club that up until the mid sixties had a distinguished track record.

Apart from a few relatively  successful seasons over the past 50 odd years, the quality of our support has perhaps had more of the spotlight than the team itself.

It takes a lot to get through the inevitable cynicism that has supporting this club has conditioned us to feel.

All social media has done is give a platform for the mentally scarred in addition to fuelling the instant gratification generation ably assisted by sky high ticket prices across the nation.

If we can sustain our current form until Christmas and put in a performance vs United then folk will want to get back on HMS Pisstheleague instead of providing rousing renditions of 'we're f***ing s.hit' and 'how crap must you be - we're winning away' at grounds across the Championship...

Sounds like they need to get checked for bipolar and be given a course of anti-depresents..if youre going to rely on football to make you happy you might have well support man city.

3 minutes ago, HIGHERSTATE said:

Sounds like they need to get checked for bipolar and be given a course of anti-depresents..if youre going to rely on football to make you happy you might have well support man city.

lol. I've got used to football being 89 minutes of intense disappointment with a few seconds of unparalleled joy.....

• Haha 1

Please... instead of rattling off your concerns tonight, grab a friend or a lover, give them a hug, buy them a beer, and make sweet love all night long.

Thanks for the advise, I've had a lovely night. My friend Bill though, he didn't seem so happy...and he's cancelled his bike ride for tomorrow.

• Haha 8

We have had three good wins against modest opposition, with some of the quality players out of the side. Not surprising some are unimpressed.

But this is an impressive bounce back using a changed set of players and the manager showed last season at the end and currently that he can manage this squad very effectively.

Whilst the majority of us are simply walking with a smile tonight, happy that we've won, got another three points, won three on the bounce, and got off to the best start that Chansiri has had since coming here thanks to Jos, there are others who simply can't enjoy the win

They've forgotten how

They're now in a state of nitpicking no matter how good the win, how valuable the points, or how important the message sent out to those players currently out of the side.

I genuinely hope they can regain the ability to just enjoy a win after we overcome and opponent and climb the Championship league table.

The level of nitpicking is worrying. It's an epidemic all over the internet from twitter, facebook to some on here too.

Please... instead of rattling off your concerns tonight, grab a friend or a lover, give them a hug, buy them a beer, and make sweet love all night long. Have fun, smile, and be positive - WE WON TODAY!

Yes and who is the biggest scapegoat, yes you have guessed it, Nuhiu. The level of unwarranted abuse this guy gets makes me ashamed to be a Wednesdayite at times. Same goes with the manager. Morons.

Whilst the majority of us are simply walking with a smile tonight, happy that we've won, got another three points, won three on the bounce, and got off to the best start that Chansiri has had since coming here thanks to Jos, there are others who simply can't enjoy the win

They've forgotten how

They're now in a state of nitpicking no matter how good the win, how valuable the points, or how important the message sent out to those players currently out of the side.

I genuinely hope they can regain the ability to just enjoy a win after we overcome and opponent and climb the Championship league table.

The level of nitpicking is worrying. It's an epidemic all over the internet from twitter, facebook to some on here too.

Please... instead of rattling off your concerns tonight, grab a friend or a lover, give them a hug, buy them a beer, and make sweet love all night long. Have fun, smile, and be positive - WE WON TODAY!

No chance of that ............ im married. :picnic:

2 hours ago, prowl said:

Some people just see the negatives. That's in their DNA. My dad was like that, it could be the hottest day of the year and he'd chime up with, " Well pay for this come winter". If it was the longest day and every was enjoying the daylight far into the evening he'd say, "Night's will be drawing in tomorrow".

He enjoyed being contrary, going against the grain. He was far from being a miserable bugger, he liked a pint and having a laugh with his mates but he could see a negative in every positive. If Wednesday were top of the Premiership and had just won the Championship dad would be sure to remind everyone " This is as good as it gets, it's all downhill from here.

He used to drive me mad but that's probably half the reason he did it

Love this.

It's genuine (dark?) humour though, not hysterical 'ooh look at me, I'm so angry with this, he should never play for the club again' attention seeking hysteria from people who could barely play 30 minutes of a football game even if it was just with their mates, so it's very different from the twitter nonsense.

Having said that, as great a post as this it, it may well be your peak, so it's all downhill from here. 

• Like 1

I dont mean this disparagingly but i think its all to do with PC footy manager games and 'footie on paper' syndrome.

cos on paper or in a computer game, having FF/Fletch up top would give us a better chance of winning the game, 

but that isnt taking into account all the imponderables that we dont see, thats not on paper. 

Jos has to do it in 'real life' and it really is 'two very different things' 

the cream always rises to the top anyway, so if, as these posters state, these players out the side should be in the side, they will end up playing their way in by proving it on the pitch, which is gonna be great for us fans.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, GY-owl.4 said:

I dont mean this disparagingly but i think its all to do with PC footy manager games and 'footie on paper' syndrome.

cos on paper or in a computer game, having FF/Fletch up top would give us a better chance of winning the game, 

but that isnt taking into account all the imponderables that we dont see, thats not on paper. 

Jos has to do it in 'real life' and it really is 'two very different things' 

the cream always rises to the top anyway, so if, as these posters state, these players out the side should be in the side, they will end up playing their way in by proving it on the pitch, which is gonna be great for us fans.

Spot on...everybody now thinks they can pick the 'best' team and formation..when its just subjective opinion..carlos ard jos are totally different and almost dare i say opposite in their approach.

Its people absorbing sky sports news 2 to 4 hours a day, betting on betfred and playing champ manager they now seem to know everything about the game.

4 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

They've forgotten how

Couldn't agree more.

However looking at members reaction:-

7 likes

30 agrees (pluses)

4 thanks

1 disagree (Neg)

I just couldn't help looking to see who could disagree with anything in your post.

Should have guessed wihout having to look.:picnic:

Edited by oldtawnyowl
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

They've forgotten how

Welp, ya gotta admit we haven't had a lot of practice as of late...

You must understand it is all so stressful. Iknow we can't race into a half time 5 goal lead, though I have seen it once. But I would like to be able to relax and enjoy Wednesday.

This has nothing to do with recent events. 91 League Cup two leg semi v Chelsea, Won at the Bridge 2-0 were we relaxed ? Went 2-0 up at Hillsborough, were we relaxed, almost. But then Chelsea went and pulled a goal back. That semi relaxed stated melted away like a snow flake on a hot shovel. So 4-1 on aggregate and most true fans were still on tenterhooks. Not until Paul Williams lobbed one into the Leppings Lane net did I feel confident enough to do a little dance at the front of the North but then there was little time left on the clock. Likewise at Cardiff 2 hours of football on the clock and nervous wreck until Talbot struck...Then my little dance.

It's a bit like being in a relationship where you have little or no trust in your partner, an irreversible feeling that they are going to let you down. They have done on many occasions but your love is not conditional, so you must go back for more. lol    

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, oldtawnyowl said:

Couldn't agree more.

However looking at members reaction:-

7 likes

30 agrees (pluses)

4 thanks

1 disagree (Neg)

I just couldn't help looking to see who could disagree with anything in your post.

Should have guessed wihout having to look.:picnic:

I don't like divisive posts like the OP.  Always turns me off when an OP claims early on that they're representing the majority. Shows lack of courage.

Full of 'others', 'theys' , 'us', 'them'

(I do get that Neil has a job to do)

• Like 1

I don't think Wednesday fans are that different to every other clubs fans, though the Sheffielder disposition probably amplifies it. Glass half empty type of place but that overly confident or brash people we look forward to them being put in their place

However as Nev also says it is years of experience where if it could go wrong it probably will.