Forestieri

24 minutes ago, frastheowl said:

Seriously?!

Since been dropped, we've won three games. Scored two goals a game, and looked a much better outfit both defensively and offensively. 

Now, I'm not saying thats entirely down to Forestieri, but it certainly does not warrant these endless threads demanding his return. 

Do we support Sheffield Wednesday or Fernando Forestieri? Would anybody care one ounce if we win promotion (not saying we will!), with Forestieri not starting a game?

It's ridiculous. Matias performed a key role today, and has done in the two games previously. 

This! If Forestieri is expendable then every player in that squad is and they have seriously booked there ideas up after Brentford and are working there socks off. If Jos ain’t happy with Nando them I’m happy to back Jos over Nando. 

25 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

He always grafts so I don’t see Jos’ issue with him.

Matias was defending to the fullback positions for 70 mins or so until he started tiring, Forestieri won't defend to the fullbacks, my guess is that's Jos' issue with him.

30 minutes ago, TodwickOwl said:

How long can he stay out the side for?

Matias was a bit of a headless chicken today and making runs but ultimately losing the ball and giving it back to Reading - dangerous game and did it plenty of times in the last 20 minutes

I dont think you can leave a player of his quality on the bench - there will be games where he is the difference between two teams and he’s won us games on his own countless times in the past. Matias on the other hand, I cant see that being the case. And that turn at the end was something else ...

We have win the last three league games without him in the team.the stats speak for themselves.

4 minutes ago, 1993swfc said:

This! If Forestieri is expendable then every player in that squad is and they have seriously booked there ideas up after Brentford and are working there socks off. If Jos ain’t happy with Nando them I’m happy to back Jos over Nando. 

Totally agree mate.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, פɹᴉɯqɐɹᴉɐu said:

Matias was defending to the fullback positions for 70 mins or so until he started tiring, Forestieri won't defend to the fullbacks, my guess is that's Jos' issue with him.

It takes the edge of his attacking game when he plays out wide and needs to track. But he has done it

I think it needs a solution as if we’re not playing him we either don’t make the most of him and it also affects his value 

30 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

He always grafts so I don’t see Jos’ issue with him. I like the approach he has taken recently but we have one of the best in the championship on the bench currently and he’s arguably been in his best form since moving here after that knee op.

You dont have to see what Jos does. Thats why he has the job and you dont.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, evaD said:

He'll be back in when Matias has a bad game.

And Matias is playing like he knows it. Today he was excellent

And that’s the key to keeping players at their best.

Our new loanees, FF, Hutch, Fletcher, Hooper and Lee - all will have a devil of a job to get a shirt, and in the meantime the threatened players, Joey, Thorniley, Matias, Joao, Nuhiu, have to play like chuff to keep theirs.

Its great.

23 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

Reducing one of the best players in the league to an impact sub will surely only be temporary (or it should be).

We have won 3 games on the bounce by a tight margin but to those suggesting that it nullifies team selection queries on the basis that we mightn’t have won otherwise. Well perhaps we might’ve won more comfortably. I think FF will be a must against the challengers at the top.

Since his return:

Started 8.

W3 D2. L3

Not started 6.

W5. L1 (loss to Fulham)

Its hard to make a case that starting him would have been better than bringing him on later.

16 minutes ago, פɹᴉɯqɐɹᴉɐu said:

I’ve always rated Fessi’s work rate but today he was walking / slowly jogging as others that had worked their socks off chased, harried and busted a gut. 

We needed his his energy and tenacity today and despite a few good pieces of skill I don’t think he brought the energy or desire that others are showing. 

Matias cant do that for 40 plus games and can’t do it for too many 90 minutes either so it’s great that we’ve got Fessi to rotate and push each other to get best out of each other. 

12 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

It takes the edge of his attacking game when he plays out wide and needs to track. But he has done it

I think it needs a solution as if we’re not playing him we either don’t make the most of him and it also affects his value 

The post below sums it up. If you drop players who have contributed to a winning side then you are likely to lose them and make the players that you pick regardless of form or results feel too comfortable.

FF seems to have accepted this for now and is contributing from the bench, it won't be too long before he is back in the side. If it came to around the hour mark today and we weren't winning then I think he would have been on - as it was the 11 picked were doing the business.

16 minutes ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

You won't find a bigger FF fan than me, but if it ain't broke...

Ok we haven't exactly looked convincing, but winning games breeds confidence, and you don't drop players who are doing their jobs and putting the work in, while we're winning.

Carlos often did that to Joao and it killed his confidence. 

I like the idea. Get Matias match fit and back up to speed with Forestieri waiting in the background if needed. Imagine a situation in which we have both Matias and Forestieri back to their best and able to dovetail in and out of the team (or have first class cover if one or the other is injured, suspended or whatever). 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, TodwickOwl said:

How long can he stay out the side for?

Matias was a bit of a headless chicken today and making runs but ultimately losing the ball and giving it back to Reading - dangerous game and did it plenty of times in the last 20 minutes

I dont think you can leave a player of his quality on the bench - there will be games where he is the difference between two teams and he’s won us games on his own countless times in the past. Matias on the other hand, I cant see that being the case. And that turn at the end was something else ...

We know FF has ability but it seems JL is looking for team work and team effort and doesn't want this tainted by individuals.

Yes he can turn a game but the team need to develop as a unit so not rely on mavricks.

Sensible approach I feel...

• Thanks 1