50 Years AgoToday

Crikey I’m an old git! I was there with ma and pa on the North ( had a broken arm so they wouldn’t let me go on the Kop!). Mother is here now (91 years young) I’m going to ask her if she kept the photos we took that day...sadly they are Kodachrome slides so can’t think how I would post them on here. Brilliant match, was it later that season that we beat Leeds in that replay at elland road? Torry  owl will know. :biggrin:

• Like 1

I was only 4 at time and didn't go but Dad went, he was talking about this game for years afterwards, probably the game that got him hooked has he had only just started going him sen after he started working at British Steel at Templeborough and a few of his workmates talked him into going along to games..

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Mountain Owl said:

Its one of those never forgotten and lucky to to have been there games. For some reason I thought Jumpin Jack scored four unless it was the own goal. As there is no video evidence its one that we'll never have the chance to debate.

Even from where I was sitting in the North the fourth goal was as clear an own goal as you could ever see.

The ball was crossed to the edge of the six yard box, straight onto the head of Nobby Stiles, and he was trying to put it out for a corner but only succeeded in heading into the net. The reason it got awarded to Whitham was because Eric Taylor came out with some crap along the lines of "there's no such thing as an own goal" and so as Whitham was the closest Wednesday player it got given to him.

At least he got another later to make sure!

2 minutes ago, fredmciverslovechild said:

Even from where I was sitting in the North the fourth goal was as clear an own goal as you could ever see.

The ball was crossed to the edge of the six yard box, straight onto the head of Nobby Stiles, and he was trying to put it out for a corner but only succeeded in heading into the net. The reason it got awarded to Whitham was because Eric Taylor came out with some crap along the lines of "there's no such thing as an own goal" and so as Whitham was the closest Wednesday player it got given to him.

At least he got another later to make sure!

Thanks for clearing that up. I was on the kop and my view was restricted due to my age. Some of our fans seemed to think Jack was the last wednesdsy player to touch the ball hence the claim.

Best game ever, two great teams just going all out to win.

Standing behind Leppings Lane goal with a group of regulars and my soon to be wife.

Funny thing is I don’t think she’s been to more that two games sine th day we married. (must have saved me a fortune)

50,000 plus crowd, no problem on the old Leppings Lane terracing, no cages, no fences. 

What a day that was. And a pretty good Saturday night that followed.

• Like 1

Alas mother thinks the photos have been chucked out along with baby and bath water! Pity as there were three or four good uns of the action at the Kop end, and my god was the Kop full that day, a seething mass of mayhem , fans separated by the obligatory thin blue line of bobbies usually getting their hats knocked off for their trouble. Remember seeing those arrested being run down the Kop steps at speed with a copper either side and slammed into the wall at the bottom before they were “helped” onto the cinder track by another two or three of S Yorkshire’s finest...dread to think what happened to them behind the south stand! Dangerous place in those days without the away fan segregation of today. :ph34r:

A fantastic read about a match, era and families which occurred about 10 years before I started to attend. Fascinating. We need those times back. Eighteen years out of the top flight is far too long. Is this our longest spell out of the top division?