50 Years AgoToday

Where has the time gone?

Greatest game I've ever seen,it had everything.

It's a pity it wasn't televised,would be wonderful to see it again.

After all this time I still can't get over the fact that with the score at 5-4 my dad left"to beat the traffic"

WTF:

• Haha 3

and 4 days later we went to mighty Exeter city and lost ……..it was a strange season the 2 best performances I've ever  seen from  a Wednesday team were in that season and yet the team was on a downward spiral and in truth wernt very good .

I was there with my dad and uncle in the North.

When they went 4-2 up after half an hour it looked like we were in for a real hammering. But a fantastic fight back....and was it Ritchie who missed an absolute sitter?

It was also the same day that Gary Sobers hit Graham Nash for six sixes in an over at Swansea.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, fredmciverslovechild said:

I was there with my dad and uncle in the North.

When they went 4-2 up after half an hour it looked like we were in for a real hammering. But a fantastic fight back....and was it Ritchie who missed an absolute sitter?

It was also the same day that Gary Sobers hit Graham Nash for six sixes in an over at Swansea.

did he hit them  over the hollies stand fred …………..lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yes. Without a doubt the best match I’ve ever seen at Hillsborough. A magical day on the Kop.

My father in law, who was an avid Blade, got himself a ticket and concurred that it was indeed that. 

He was a man of few words and had never previously had a good thing to say about us but he waxed lyrical about that match.

Nuff said.

• Like 1

This was my final match before going to join the Army on the Monday and my uncle who was a blade got tickets for the North stand and we had just sat in our seats when Whitham scored. Don Megson had a thunderbolt goal wiped out to make it six as someone was offside on the wing FFS As a 15 year old I thought that we were at last on the up as a club. Shows what I knew lol 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, daveyboy66 said:

This was my final match before going to join the Army on the Monday and my uncle who was a blade got tickets for the North stand and we had just sat in our seats when Whitham scored. Don Megson had a thunderbolt goal wiped out to make it six as someone was offside on the wing FFS As a 15 year old I thought that we were at last on the up as a club. Shows what I knew lol 

Yes that rocket from Megson was more than 35 yards out just under the North stand. It would have stood under todays not interfering rules. Fantham about 25 yards out was adjudged to be 3/10ths of an inch offside. We was robbed 6-4, someone should write to the FA. 

One inconceivable fact about that game is that I was there on the kop, on my own, at 12 years of age.

My dad worked at Peats which was next door to the ground on Penistone Road,about where the megastore car park is. He knew the groundsman at the time and he used to get a couple of free tickets for the kop every home game. 

• Like 1