This lad's gonna come into form in September

Guest Willow Owl
16 minutes ago, Ante's Bubbly said:

Try looking up purple patch in the dictionary rather than argue black is white or purple is pink! Strikers having a very good run of form are going to be scoring more goals mate and if you don't understand now that goals win games (yes another good old adage you may or may not remember), then you will get torn to pieces arguing otherwise on here.

lol

Like most Wednesdayites I want both these players to be successful for us, but one of them has only ever had one decent run in the team and when he did he scored lots of goals, made goals and helped out in midfield and defence with a very good to excellent level of effectiveness. And again yes,that is what wins games. We have all seen what he can do for the team on the odd occasion that he gets on the pitch and we all saw last season what he can do, when he is given a run in the team. Unfortunately this season he got sent off in the first game after scoring a goal, missed the next game and has had to prove that he is worth his place in the team against Fletcher, who is paid more highly paid to score goals and does get into some very good positions to score, but unfortunately almost scoring goals is not good enough in this division or any other.

I am guessing that you actually understand the meaning of purple patch, but if not I am pretty sure you will understand the following facts, which are based on Nuhiu's 11 goal scoring streak, when he was playing more regularly at the end of last season and Fletcher's 11 goal tally in 2016/2017 when he started or was sub in 40 games.

Player               Goals      Assists      Shots     On target     Pass %    Headers    MOTM     Starts      Sub     Minutes played       Whoscored overall rating

Adthe Nuhiu          11               5             46               20            66.9             5.8             4             15           13      1451 (51 average)                     7.06

Steven Fletcher    11               2             73               22            62.4             3.7             2              24          16       2198 (55 average)                     6.7   

So in summary of their good runs of form (purple patches), in seasons where both players scored 11 goals, Nuhiu provided 3 more goals for others, was more accurate at shooting and had more shots on target per game, won more headers per game, double the number of MOTM awards, had a higher pass percentage rate (across all types of passes, this is the average of all passes, crosses, long balls, headers, flicks etc) and had a higher overall player rating, all in 9 less starts than Fletcher.

Whether anybody chooses to prefer Fletcher or Nuhiu as a person, or player, or prefer his style, or character is entirely up to the individual and both players have fans who prefer one over the other, or have no particular preference. The facts however show that Nuhiu contributes more per game and per minute in every aspect of play that contributes towards winning more points for Sheffield Wednesday.

These facts and figures are taken from whoscored.com and verified by ESPN.com. The rating figure is the average score based on all aspects of the player's defensive, attacking and passing performances in each of the games detailed.

As a matter of interest, for the games so far this season Nuhiu's rating is 6.57 and Fletchers is 5.39, so the gap between the performances of the two players has grown. It could be argued that neither player is playing to their best, but Nuhiu is only just shy of Fletcher's best rating for us already and as this topic started out, Nuhiu is tipped to get back to his best very shortly.  Also, in 11 years of stats for Fletcher, he has only ever scored one more than the eleven he got for us, which was six years ago, whereas Nuhiu scored his 11 last season and in just half a season while Fletchers highest ever whoscored rating in those 11 years was 6.98, 5 years ago (again these ratings are based on all aspects of performance).

As much as I would like to see Fletcher do more for us, I would not like to see him play at the expense of Nuhiu, because I think that Nuhiu cares more and gives more effort and passion than Fletcher. I also feel that Fletcher's best days are behind him, whereas Nuhiu could really shine even brighter if given a full season with the number of minutes per game he has had under Jos so far, but more than what I think or feel, Nuhiu has already proven that so far he has been the better player and deserves his inclusion in the team.

Come on Nuhiu, do it for the lads and lasses. UTO!

You really need to get out more mate. Stats can be very misleading, where were these passes made, headers won, (own half or oppositions) etc. Also dont take into account movement off the ball, quality of opposition, Nuhiu has had one good scoring run in his career, last ten games of last season(fair play). Fletcher has consistantly played at a higher level and is more suited to 4-2-3-1 as his movement is far superior which brings other players into the game. Ipswich is a prime example of how not to play with a lone striker. In my opinion Fletcher is a better player full stop. If Nuhiu is picked and  plays then i hope he scores and plays well, just dont see him as the way forward. 

5 minutes ago, Willow Owl said:

You really need to get out more mate. Stats can be very misleading, where were these passes made, headers won, (own half or oppositions) etc. Also dont take into account movement off the ball, quality of opposition, Nuhiu has had one good scoring run in his career, last ten games of last season(fair play). Fletcher has consistantly played at a higher level and is more suited to 4-2-3-1 as his movement is far superior which brings other players into the game. Ipswich is a prime example of how not to play with a lone striker. In my opinion Fletcher is a better player full stop. If Nuhiu is picked and  plays then i hope he scores and plays well, just dont see him as the way forward. 

There is no doubting the fact that Fletcher is more famous, is held in high regard by some, that he has more experience and that he earns more money, however I am only interested in what he does for us.

As for the performance facts and figures, I gave you the details why don't you look at where all the passes are made, it does tell you if you can be bothered to look. I have and I have absolutely no doubt that Nuhiu will give us more all round, including goals for and assisted. I just quoted from the passing summary and yes you are right it took a few minutes to check the facts, but I did check them and they backed up what I already knew. If you can be bothered to provide any evidence of Fletcher's superiority while playing for us, please do so, but barring some kind of miracle I cannot see your idea of a case for him, even if he suddenly peels back the years and gives us the best season of his career goal-wise.  If he is going to be persevered with I hope he does it I really do and I do not dislike the bloke, quite the opposite, i was excited when he came and thought he could be really good for us. The reality is we cannot afford him and knowing what we know now, we would not sign him up tomorrow, last week or at the beginning of the season, because Big lumbering, lets have a go at him Dave is a better, cheaper option.

I made my point and backed it up with facts, but believe me mate, If Fletcher suddenly turns it around, I will happily buy you and him a pint

9 minutes ago, Ante's Bubbly said:

There is no doubting the fact that Fletcher is more famous, is held in high regard by some, that he has more experience and that he earns more money, however I am only interested in what he does for us.

As for the performance facts and figures, I gave you the details why don't you look at where all the passes are made, it does tell you if you can be bothered to look. I have and I have absolutely no doubt that Nuhiu will give us more all round, including goals for and assisted. I just quoted from the passing summary and yes you are right it took a few minutes to check the facts, but I did check them and they backed up what I already knew. If you can be bothered to provide any evidence of Fletcher's superiority while playing for us, please do so, but barring some kind of miracle I cannot see your idea of a case for him, even if he suddenly peels back the years and gives us the best season of his career goal-wise.  If he is going to be persevered with I hope he does it I really do and I do not dislike the bloke, quite the opposite, i was excited when he came and thought he could be really good for us. The reality is we cannot afford him and knowing what we know now, we would not sign him up tomorrow, last week or at the beginning of the season, because Big lumbering, lets have a go at him Dave is a better, cheaper option.

I made my point and backed it up with facts, but believe me mate, If Fletcher suddenly turns it around, I will happily buy you and him a pint

Why do I need to get out more? I am bored at work and fed up of people sniping at one or another of our more faithful players who has helped keep us going when other more celebrated players have done less for the cause at much greater expense.

I get out to every home game and as many away games as I can get to and have done for almost fifty years and have always led a very busy and fun life doing plenty of other things too. Irrespective of whether or not I get out often enough to satisfy your demanding standards, I am very surprised that you do not hold Fletcher's performances and output up to the same levels of scrutiny as my research on which of them gives us the most. Statistics can be misleading mate when viewed in isolation, but not when they all point one way and not when combined with what we see week in and week out.

Nuhiu seems to be an easy target for the hate mob for some reason and I know for a fact that had Nuhiu so amazingly performed Fletcher's cushioned header in front of goal that took absolutely all the power out of the ball and dropped it so neatly at the feet of the defender, there would have been several load mouthed muppets that sit close to us that would have been up on their feet having a go at him over it. Fletcher got some very polite applause from those same areas of the ground and got clapped off by some for missing three absolute sitters! 

I was pleased that he managed to put so much effort into getting into those positions, but if you knew anything at all about him you would know that he has made a career out of missing simple goal-scoring opportunities, which is something that the Nuhiu haters levelled at him, despite all the evidence to the contrary.

1 hour ago, Willow Owl said:

Why do I need to get out more? I am bored at work and fed up of people sniping at one or another of our more faithful players who has helped keep us going when other more celebrated players have done less for the cause at much greater expense. The variation in levels of opposition is a desperate argument mate, when you have not even bothered to give us the facts. I will argue that the opposition that Nuhiu faced was better quality and that the team-mates that Nuhiu had supporting him were not of the same quality either, while we were scrapping together a team to fight off relegation with kids and players like Nuhiu that had only had bit part roles while players of Fletchers undoubted credentials had got us into the mess in the first place.

I get out to every home game and as many away games as I can get to and have done for almost fifty years and have always led a very busy and fun life doing plenty of other things too. Irrespective of whether or not I get out often enough to satisfy your demanding standards, I am very surprised that you do not hold Fletcher's performances and output up to the same levels of scrutiny as my research on which of them gives us the most. Statistics can be misleading mate when viewed in isolation, but not when they all point one way and not when combined with what we see week in and week out.

Nuhiu seems to be an easy target for the hate mob for some reason and I know for a fact that had Nuhiu so amazingly performed Fletcher's cushioned header in front of goal that took absolutely all the power out of the ball and dropped it so neatly at the feet of the defender, there would have been several load mouthed muppets that sit close to us that would have been up on their feet having a go at him over it. Fletcher got some very polite applause from those same areas of the ground and got standing applause by a few for missing three absolute sitters! 

I was pleased that he managed to put so much effort into getting into those positions, but if you knew anything at all about him you would know that he has made a career out of missing simple goal-scoring opportunities, which is something that the Nuhiu haters levelled at him, despite all the evidence to the contrary.

Edited by Ante's Bubbly

41 minutes ago, cookieowl said:

hes only started 2 or 3 games hasnt he? scored 1 goal. What ppl expecting? to be best on pitch and scoring every game?

Hope he gets a game tomorrow he scored two against Reading to knock them out of the FA Cup last season.

image.png

Edited by Ante's Bubbly